Expect a big DStv price hike in April

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Really really contemplating if I should drop down from the R199pm to R99pm jobbie...

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
The 24 month explora deal comes with a price freeze for the next two years. At R850 without installation you'll probably save considering the size of the next two increases.

P.s. only for those who can't get out of paying for DSTV for whatever reason. And yes, typing R850 burnt a hole in my soul.

Swa

Honorary Master
Since 2015, the rand has lost over 30% of its value against the US Dollar – with 13% of that value lost in the last two months.
So has mine. Funny that from 2002 to 2007 when the rand strengthened there wasn't a decrease then. Stop making excuses MC, every time you increase prices people cancel in droves. Typical monopoly behaviour knowing no other way to behave.

Iwojima

Expert Member
For less than DSTV's monthy fee I have access to US Netflix and uncapped ADSL capable of quickly retrieving everything else that I watch, including various live sport streams.

Is it more effort than simply paying for DSTV every month? Marginally. Am I operating in a grey area in terms of how I get my content? I suppose. Do I get off on sticking it to Multichoice? You bet ya!

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
I suspect R1000 is going to be the big psychological number which will see people cancel in droves. Not long before we get to that.

Swa

Honorary Master
R1000 only applies to premium. The psychological barrier of R500 for extra+pvr has already been breached. MC is in a pickle not doing anything about a falling rand and increased competition all around sooner.

kaaskop

Expert Member
As been said. Lets take a trip in a parallel universe and the rand is R10/$, the price wont drop. Suck it Multinochoice.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
With inflation expected to be around 7% and rand devaluing by more than 30% in the past year, keeping DStv’s 2016 price increase in check will be no easy task.

The 7% is part of the 30%.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. Will remind me to cancel in time.

j4ck455

Executive Member
DStv’s new prices will be announced at the end of February, and will come into effect on 1 April.

Every year MonoChoice inflates its subscription fees on April Fools Day, which says a lot about what MonoChoice thinks about its customers.

I do hope that voters will be glaring at the He-he-he-he photo of the "misunderstood" king Zumatello in loincloth or party colours, that they have mounted on the wall above the TV when they decide they can no longer afford DSTV and have no choice but to cancel their subscriptions.

rorz0r

Executive Member
Prediction: Price increase -> cancellations -> reduced subscriber base -> price increase + repeat.

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
MyBB does this pre price increase news report every year. It sounds like they want to help Monochoice apply the vaseline before they give their subscribers some major buthurt...

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Title should be "Expect a big exodus of DSTV subscribers".

With people having to tighten their belts this year, I suspect it is DSTV who will be feeling the heat as people look to cut expenses...

johnjm

Expert Member
Dstv is not what goes first. People would rather first cancel things like car insurance etc such is the RSA way.