Expensive out-of-bundle tariffs must "be nipped in the bud": ICASA

Swa

Honorary Master
Icasa bought all emptyn and voda cons for voice calls for years i encountered personal pushback when i attended an ICASA public hearing from Vodacon reps there who tried to tell me i knew nothing of mobile termination costs. That was when mobile termination rates were R1-25c per minute.

Look at termination rates today less than 15c per minute.

He who has the most to lose financially will defend their position the loudest.

Icasa needs to commission a costing of data and set price caps for every bit of data purchased.

How is Telkom able to offer 500gigs for R50.
10c a gigabyte. Amazing hey.

It works and i am using it with a few sacrifices :(

Technically if they can sell at that price there is no loss.

Night surfer data needs to be regulated as well.

Peak Period to be 08:00 to 20:00.

All other times to be Night surfer or Off Peak.
Yup Icasa don't actually need permission if they really wanted to do something. People seem to be mistaking their lack of a backbone over the years for the telecoms industry having power. The industry has no power.

One thing that has to be buried once and for all is this idea that data costs x amount per GB. Providers don't pay for data per GB so this is just a dumb idea made up by bean counters to fleece consumers. With you on peak times. It's majorly disproportionate for off peak call times to be after 5PM but data only after 12AM. Also how data mysteriously expires.

ToAsTeD

Expert Member
A little late to the party I would say - seeing it actually get cheaper is another story all together.

system32

Expert Member
@ICASA, how about banning data expiry.

If I buy pre-paid electricity it does not expire. Why should data expire?

The Consumer Protection Act mentions expiry of vouchers which was meant to cover this, but it's never been enforced.
Replying to my own post, but seems NCC wants all data to expire in line with Consumer Protection Act.
Data wars: Commission stands firm on consumer rights
http://www.fin24.com/Tech/News/data-wars-commission-stands-firm-on-consumer-rights-20170816
The NCC conducted an investigation which found that data expired after 30 days instead of the three years allowed by the Consumer Protection Act. Subsequently, in July 2015 Icasa and NCC partnered in a cooperative working agreement to address these telecommunication-related consumer complaints and to remedy the data expiry matter.

“Now, the draft regulations that Icasa gazetted are still not consistent with section 63 [of the Consumer Protection Act] and the NCC wishes to state for the record that although it is part of a task team together with Icasa that are working on the data expiry and out of bundle data cost, it was not consulted by Icasa when it drafted the regulations,” said NCC spokesperson Trevor Hattingh.

Section 63 deals with prepaid certificates, credits and vouchers. It states that a prepaid certificate, card, credit, voucher or similar device does not expire earlier than “the date on which its full value has been redeemed in exchange for goods or services or future access to services” or “three years after the date on which it was issued, or at the end of a longer or extended period agreed by the supplier at any time”.

“It is for this reason that I stated below that the NCC will be making comments to Icasa on its views and that the NCC will not sell consumers out on what they are legally entitled to,” he said. “It will be up to Icasa to either accept or reject our comments.”

Last edited: