Expert who devoted his life to protecting isolated Amazon tribes killed by tribesman’s arrow

"D"

Expert Member
was this guy a missionary? trying to spread the gospel to the tribes of the Amazon?
Two words:

Rieli Franciscato, 56, had spent his career as an official in the government's indigenous affairs agency Funai, working to set up reservations to protect Brazil's tribes.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
was this guy a missionary? trying to spread the gospel to the tribes of the Amazon?

did he try that idea of that other guy who visited north sentinel island? and got killed by the natives?

Life's more fun if you don't read articles, I guess.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

did he try that idea of that other guy who visited north sentinel island? and got killed by the natives?

Rieli Franciscato, 56, had spent his career as an official in the government's indigenous affairs agency Funai, working to set up reservations to protect Brazil's tribes.

I know about not reading the article, but not even reading the quote in the OP? :rolleyes:

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Are these people somehow genetically inferior that they cannot do this basic task or is their culture simply garbage?

I don't think there is much benefit to keeping these people isolated from the rest of the world TBH.

You have to do this if you want to protect them. They have to understand that there are other people in the world who will quite happily run an arrow-proof tractor over their village. Once they understand this, you can work with them to establish their land as private property.
Tales of their ancestors or distant neighbours being hoodwinked by smooth talking missionaries passed from generation to generation maybe?

konfab

Honorary Master
Tales of their ancestors or distant neighbours being hoodwinked by smooth talking missionaries passed from generation to generation maybe?
Nope, that excuse isn't applicable:
On Wednesday, as he moved close to a hitherto uncontacted indigenous group, he was hit by an arrow above the heart in the forest near the Uru Eu Wau Wau reservation in the western Brazilian state of Rondonia near the border with Bolivia.

Readsalot

Expert Member
So... What exactly are the procedures to becoming a tribesman that is allowed to shoot strangers that invade your space? Can I download the forms somewhere?

rietrot

Honorary Master
Are these people somehow genetically inferior that they cannot do this basic task or is their culture simply garbage?

I don't think there is much benefit to keeping these people isolated from the rest of the world TBH.

You have to do this if you want to protect them. They have to understand that there are other people in the world who will quite happily run an arrow-proof tractor over their village. Once they understand this, you can work with them to establish their land as private property.
They are just hostile towards anyone who tries to enter their land.

On the one hand I think it's kinda wrong to treat them like wild animals and set up a "reserve" around them.

On the other hand if we do view that land as their property and they wish to be left alone. Other people should just leave them alone.

Reactions: 3WA

seanyp00h

Expert Member

How do you get them to understand without first taking an arrow to the chest though?

Last edited:

konfab

Honorary Master
They are just hostile towards anyone who tries to enter their land.

On the one hand I think it's kinda wrong to treat them like wild animals and set up a "reserve" around them.

On the other hand if we do view that land as their property and they wish to be left alone. Other people should just leave them alone.

The correct action is to give them the choice. Leaving them as wild animals is wrong. They need to know where their land ends as well. They don't have infinite domain over the earth because they are completely ignorant of the world.

Once contact is established, you can figure out what they consider their land, and then make a proper piece of land that they actually own.

konfab

Honorary Master
How do you get them to understand without first taking an array to the chest though?
BY FORCE.

Wood-Bender-Teaches-The-World-His-Peaceful-Ways-By-Force-On-Futurama.jpg

Realistically though, you go in with body armour designed for arrows. You wouldn't need much.

surface

Honorary Master
I wouldn't argue with father of mybb genetics. He got charts and everything. #justsaying

grok

Honorary Master
The correct action is to give them the choice. Leaving them as wild animals is wrong. They need to know where their land ends as well. They don't have infinite domain over the earth because they are completely ignorant of the world.

Once contact is established, you can figure out what they consider their land, and then make a proper piece of land that they actually own.

And then one day they rise up about the artificial borders imposed on them by the foreigners that stole the rest of their their land. And they demand equal rights but want to keep their tribal ways, and to govern themselves which turns out to be a ****up since they don't believe in democracy but they want one man one vote so they can outbreed the others and try and wrestle control from the ones that brought civilization to them that way.

What then?

Don't tell us you know better than them, cos that is just racism.

borro

Expert Member
Magnificent ordeal in the savage garden. Eligible. What a movie!

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Nope, that excuse isn't applicable:
There's no proof that their ancestors never encountered outsiders. They may have had bad experience with outsiders in the past and mover deeper into the forest.