Experts urge Ramaphosa to fire officials who caused vaccine procurement delays

/dev/null

Expert Member
Thankfully you're not in charge.
And do tell how the approval process looks... I'm keen to hear your take on how it should go.
I assume you think we get test sample freebies because Nelson Mandela was born here.
It's not really complicated. The link shared by @ForceFate details the process. According to the article "Trials cannot be conducted, and medicines cannot be prescribed, sold or marketed in South Africa, without prior SAHPRA approval"

So government can get hold of as many doses of the vaccine as they like, but according to the law they cannot give out the vaccine until the SAHPRA has approved it. Right now SAHPRA has not approved any vaccine. This should be simple to understand.

Solarion

Honorary Master
Some of South Africa’s most senior medical leaders and academics have called for President Cyril Ramaphosa to fire government officials over delays in procuring Covid-19 vaccines, saying their actions will cause thousands of deaths and untold economic damage. [Bloomberg]

Lack(looting) of funding = inability to obtain quality vaccines and inability to obtain sufficient amounts of vaccines which are more cost effective.

In South Africa, COVID-19 has exposed greed and spurred long-needed action against corruption

Along with other ordinary South Africans, we at Corruption Watch have followed with increasing dismay the growing number of reports of corruption related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The perpetrators of this corruption have been unashamedly brazen in their hijacking of the emergency measures put into place to deal with COVID-19 in South Africa. Such measures included, among others, a R500-billion (US$30 billion) relief package to provide for food parcels for the needy, a temporary social grant increase for over 16 million beneficiaries and the Temporary Employer/Employee Relief Scheme (TERS) for those whose salaries were affected. To implement these and other measures, the government also put in place emergency procurement regulations.

All of these have proved irresistible to those with thieving tendencies.
Back in March, Corruption Watch warned of the vulnerabilities in the emergency procurement measures, noting that the R500-billion stimulus package presented a fine opportunity for greedy officials to dip their hands into the COVID-19 cookie jar.

Sadly, we were right.

Last edited:

Vrotappel

Bulls fan

Vaccines for South Africa. Now

It beggars belief that South Africa, against all reasonable expectations, finds itself in this group, since it is not a poor country, despite the best efforts of a corrupt political class to ensure that moniker. The stunning reality is that It has neither a secured vaccine supply nor a plan for mass inoculation in the foreseeable future that can withstand scrutiny. This portends for this country the worst ravages of Covid-19 in the year ahead.

This lack of foresight will visit on us the consequences of the greatest man-made failure to protect the population since the Aids pandemic, when we refused to provide life-saving medicines out of choice and against the desperate pleas of horrified medical and humanitarian agencies here and abroad and directly caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people. A high probability of a reprise of this is a monumental and unforgivable failing.

For those that don't like N24.

This link is from DM.

Time for the people to see how the ANC destroys our country.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Thankfully you're not in charge.
And do tell how the approval process looks... I'm keen to hear your take on how it should go.
I assume you think we get test sample freebies because Nelson Mandela was born here. We certainly don't manufacture them. We rely on information from our partners and have to assess that and make a call. The developers have only just released and approved the flipping things.

/dev/null indeed.
This position is, at best, inexplicable, given the depth of available knowledge about efficacy and safety among several leading vaccine candidates being clinically trialled and evaluated right here in SA. That is why the recent commentary by senior officials regarding the government’s vaccine strategy in response to pointed enquiries from the press, health experts and labour and civil society formations, has sown great disquiet.

Read my link in my previous post. These things were tested and trialed in SA. This is pure ANC incompetence. Maybe like with everything else they will only act once their palms have been greased?

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
It's not really complicated. The link shared by @ForceFate details the process. According to the article "Trials cannot be conducted, and medicines cannot be prescribed, sold or marketed in South Africa, without prior SAHPRA approval"

So government can get hold of as many doses of the vaccine as they like, but according to the law they cannot give out the vaccine until the SAHPRA has approved it. Right now SAHPRA has not approved any vaccine. This should be simple to understand.
You're the one struggling to comprehend.
This is a rubber stamp that takes 2 days. SAHPRA don't procure or decide on the vaccine/s we wil see. Those decisions have been made. There have been plenty of discussions behind closed doors while you exercise your keyboard. In this case they already have foreign body approval which likely means they will not delay the stamp. Their approval is not required to acquire the meds.

/dev/null

Expert Member
You're the one struggling to comprehend.
This is a rubber stamp that takes 2 days. SAHPRA don't procure or decide on the vaccine/s we wil see. Those decisions have been made. There have been plenty of discussions behind closed doors while you exercise your keyboard. In this case they already have foreign body approval which likely means they will not delay the stamp. Their approval is not required to acquire the meds.

Ok.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
There is also this...

Convicted prisoners should not be given preferential treatment when rolling out Covid vaccine​

The Democratic Alliance (DA) notes with alarm that it is proposed that amongst the first groups of people to receive vaccinations for Covid 19 will be convicted prisoners.

We trust that this proposal will not be accepted or implemented. It is acknowledged that prisons may be prime sites of the spread of the pandemic, on account of confinement and overcrowding. As such, custodial officials must be classified as front-line workers and qualify for vaccination, as and when this becomes available. Their job is dangerous enough: the least the State must do is to help to protect them from infection.

But this does not mean that prisoners can jump the queue. A person who is convicted and sentenced to imprisonment loses certain rights, and that includes the right to priority access to Covid vaccination. Nor does it seem, up until now, that there has been a higher than average infection or mortality rate in correctional centres.

There are literally millions of hard-working, tax-paying members of the public who are similarly at risk, and those South Africans deserve access to the vaccination before it is provided to prisoners.

To quote News24,

Capture.PNG

1. Healthcare
2. Elderly
3. Essential personnel (who is deemed as essential?)
4. Convicted prisoners and the institutionalised

Who is then #5, the non-essential?

In my view, I don't want to be prioritised, but to elevate convicted prisoners above the ordinary citizen (those who contributes to the economy and or peoples livelihoods) is questionable and an ethical dilemma.

Then again, I am not an expert serving on the Ministerial Advisory Committee.

das Toktokken

Honorary Master

Temujin

Honorary Master
There is also this...

To quote News24,

View attachment 986792

1. Healthcare
2. Elderly
3. Essential personnel (who is deemed as essential?)
4. Convicted prisoners and the institutionalised

Who is then #5, the non-essential?

In my view, I don't want to be prioritised, but to elevate convicted prisoners above the ordinary citizen (those who contributes to the economy and or peoples livelihoods) is questionable and an ethical dilemma.

Then again, I am not an expert serving on the Ministerial Advisory Committee.
Should be smokers first before anyone else... NDZ told us they're at extremely high risk so we need to follow NDZs science and prioritize them

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Approval of rhe vaccine is a rubber-stamp issue. The real dithering is at the highest levels, and is about supplies and pricing. See:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Approval of rhe vaccine is a rubber-stamp issue. The real dithering is at the highest levels, and is about supplies and pricing. See:

I would have thought that parts where poverty thrives would be sponsored by Western and Eastern 'trade' alliances. I am sure procurements will be supplemented, but as brought up it must also be rubber-stamped.

As we all know, everything is bargained.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
I would have thought that parts where poverty thrives would be sponsored by Western and Eastern 'trade' alliances. I am sure procurements will be supplemented, but as brought up it must also be rubber-stamped.

As we all know, everything is bargained.

Not specific to SA, but bargaining about vaccine prices is an example of 'penny-wise pound-foolish'. The damage done to the economy is tens to hundreds of times more than the cost of the most expensive vaccine for every man, woman and child in the country. Somehow there is a 'blind-spot' with regards to prevention versus treatment.

daveza

Honorary Master
Mkhize live ---- expect all to be vaccinated by the end of 2021.... :unsure:

Correction !

Mkhize says the majority of frontline workers need to be vaccinated by end of 2021.

Fjorko

Expert Member
Well, if the intelligence seen here is anything to go by, this does not surprise me one bit.....