Explosion Kills four Bomb Disposal Experts in Thailand

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Four ordinance experts died Monday after a bomb they had partly defused blew up in Thailand's violence-wracked

Narathiwat province, officials said.

"The explosion also injured six other members of the Explosive Ordnance Disposal team," said Colonel Pramote Phommin, spokesman for the Southern Command Internatial Security office.

One detonator in the 20 kilogram device, hidden in a cooking gas cylinder, had been defused after experts discovered it in Bacho district, Narathiwat, 800 kilometres south of Bangkok.

"They thought they had defused it and brought it back to base, but there was a second detonator that set off the bomb in the office," Pramote said.

Monday marked the ninth anniversary of the Krue Sae Mosque massacre, in which Thai security forces killed about 30 Muslim militants who had sought refuge in the ancient mosque in Pattani.

More than 5,300 people have died in Thailand's three, majority-Muslim provinces in the south since 2004, when a long-simmering separatist movement took a more militant turn.

Peace talks between the government and insurgents kicked off in Malaysia last month, but have failed to stop the violence.Authors: Abdullah Wangni, Somchai K****ijswet and Peter Janssen

Source : Sapa-dpa /pk
Date : 22 Apr 2013 11:35

Grant

Honorary Master
What the hell is it with muslims.
I can imagine the pictures that are going to emerge on this year's "everybody draw muhammed" day.
The will be nothing clever or funny - just pictures of bombs, explosions and carnage.

rubytox

Expert Member
Nevermind that, bringing the bomb back to your office... :rolleyes:

If I was one of those experts, I would've taken the bomb to a secure location and blow it up...
:erm: they were the experts but missed the 2nd detonator ???

DJ...

Banned
They thought they had defused it and brought it back to base,
It didn't cross their minds to detonate it in a controlled setting and then investigate it?