• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Export / backup email, MS Outlook to a different mailbox

bigboy529

Expert Member
Hi all
I last used MS Outlook more than 10 years ago, so I'm totally out of touch with it plus, in general I don't know much about these things.

My mom is retiring soon, she has a lot of personal email on her work email address, they use Outlook and I guess the company has its own mail servers. She wants to backup / export her personal email, move it to her Gmail box or something.

Is something like this at all possible and if so how?
Her first thought was to individually forward each email to her Gmail address, but there must be a easier way?

She has her Gmail box on her iPad and Mac in the native Apple Mail apps, but if having Outlook will make the process easier, I can set her up with Outlook as well since I have a Office 365 subscription.

Thanks

bigboy529

Expert Member
you could export to pst and then import it to her mailbox

I didn't know that pst will work from one mail box to another? I thought pst only allows you to export and then to import again only if you use that same mailbox for example if you format your machine and rebuild everything afterwards.

bigboy529

Expert Member
Good luck, outlook is a las to work with.

I'll test it with old pst files I have from my Outlook and Mweb email address days (yes I actually still have backups of 10 years ago), then I'll ask IT at her company to export it for me.

Neo_X

Expert Member
if she is able to add her gmail account to the work computer, use IMAP settings.

then she can simply copy (or move) her personal emails into a folder on the Gmail account.

Concentric

I didn't know that pst will work from one mail box to another? I thought pst only allows you to export and then to import again only if you use that same mailbox for example if you format your machine and rebuild everything afterwards.
should work with any mailbox. as said above use imap to sync the mails to the cloud

PsyWulf

Executive Member
if she is able to add her gmail account to the work computer, use IMAP settings.

then she can simply copy (or move) her personal emails into a folder on the Gmail account.
Gmail throttles IMAP traffic now so just be aware