Expropriation without compensation - The end of the road?

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member

The plan to amend the Constitution to allow for land expropriation without compensation is effectively dead in the water, Rapport reports.

This is after the EFF failed to pitch for a Parliamentary ad hoc committee meeting on Thursday and Friday to discuss amendments to the Expropriation Bill.

These included proposals that the cut-off date for land claims be moved from June 1913 to as early as January 1800 and that traditional land be excluded from the provisions.

BeerIsNotGood...

Executive Member

The plan to amend the Constitution to allow for land expropriation without compensation is effectively dead in the water, Rapport reports.

This is after the EFF failed to pitch for a Parliamentary ad hoc committee meeting on Thursday and Friday to discuss amendments to the Expropriation Bill.

These included proposals that the cut-off date for land claims be moved from June 1913 to as early as January 1800 and that traditional land be excluded from the provisions.
Interesting..

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Where to now? Nationalisation, state custodianship... I don't see how EWC would have allowed private ownership, given the National Development Plan and the AU's agenda, and pushing the date all the way back to the 1800s would have caused quite the commotion as it would have impacted land already redistributed and claimed.

Don’t be surprised to see that the country may now be pursuing a property lease scheme. There will be some deliberation now over EWC, but I would guess a new solution will be pursued in around 2 years’ time.

I don't know, I don't sit in on their discussions, but I simply don't see how all this will result in nothing.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Don’t be surprised to see that the country may now be pursuing a property lease scheme. There will be some deliberation now over EWC, but I would guess a new solution will be pursued in around 2 years’ time.

Will never happen. That is basically expropriation of the entire country without compensation. The only way that will happen is if the constitution is completely ripped up. As the ANC and the EFF are starting to find out, that is not such an easy proposition.

KSM93

Taking things that don't belong to you is the african way. We have a string of northern neighbours where this happened. South Africa is just waiting it's turn.
African problems are not your concern. Worry about your own continent.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
What has Africa taken that doesn’t belong to it?
Don't think there's a title deed system that stretches back that far,but the jurassic/neolythic era sounds like a fair starting point for actual land ownership if we're gonna try to repossess 3-4generations worth of investment

rietrot

Honorary Master
So all those threads with hundreds of posts full of wailing and gnashing of teeth were in vain?
No education and awareness around the issue does help public opinion.

What the EFF want is a completely communist solution. We are lucky that they are taking such an extreme stance, because a compromise would still have been really shít.