Extend WiFi To House Across The Road

johanhorak

We run a self catering agency with many homes in and around Cape Town. Getting WiFi in these homes become a mess with 3G tops ups and other issues I'll not bore you with. I am trying to elimate this interupting task one by one. Here's the first idea:

I want to boost our WiFi to one of these homes across the road from our home. With no boost we can see the Wifi signal from this home and they can see our Wifi but it's not strong.

I am using a Huwaei B315s with Telkom Uncapped LTE.

Any ideas appreciated on how to boost or extend the wifi signal from our home to this home.

Moosedrool

Executive Member
Not sure how this process works but I think you're going to have to talk to ICASA first.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
You can certainly complicate your life by trying to talk to ICASA, but why?

Use a wi-fi extender, and carefully choose a channel based on what the Wi-Fi usage around you, end of story.

labratza

Expert Member
yeah but what if by some chance you have some icasa people stay over and then the poo hits the fan. I would rather be safe than sorry. maybe have 2 uncapped LTE routers. even if it is the 4mb deal it is better than nothing and people can pay a fee for uncapped data for there stay like R40 or R50 per day for uncapped data

johanhorak

You can certainly complicate your life by trying to talk to ICASA, but why?

Use a wi-fi extender, and carefully choose a channel based on what the Wi-Fi usage around you, end of story.
Agree, sounds like a plan.

I see there's extenders and repeaters.

Just need to find the best tool.

johanhorak

maybe have 2 uncapped LTE routers. even if it is the 4mb deal it is better than nothing and people can pay a fee for uncapped data for there stay like R40 or R50 per day for uncapped data
This could be an idea for homes as well. R700 per month. When compared to R150 per Gig if we buy only one gig for a guest. It quickly adds up. And this will eliminate the need for topup administrative work and unhappy guests having to pay for something that should be included. We can do this for all larger and or popular homes.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
You could of course consider getting a service provider in to offer you a more permanent business solution based on all the points you wish to serve.
I see that @labratza has suggested an LTE solution, one per point, which will get you away from all the PT and provide a much better service to your guests.

How do you manage Internet access in each of the venues now?

In the meantime for one additional point across the road, the wifi extender route is the simplest.

Last edited:

sajunky

Honorary Master
WiFi extenders with two 7dbi directional antennas. Position antennas high to avoid interruption from passing trucks. Cost of hardware will pay out in three months. If erp numbers comes to the issue, reduce transmit power.

johanhorak

WiFi extenders with two 7dbi directional antennas. Position antennas high to avoid interruption from passing trucks. Cost of hardware will pay out in three months. If erp numbers comes to the issue, reduce transmit power.
Thanks for the technical specs you shared. Appreciated.

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Surely you mean EIRP?

johanhorak

You could of course consider getting a service provider in to offer you a more permanent business solution based on all the points you wish to serve.
I see that @labratza has suggested an LTE solution, one per point, which will get you away from all the PT and provide a much better service to your guests.

How do you manage Internet access in each of the venues now?

In the meantime for one additional point across the road, the wifi extender route is the simplest.
At the moment we have 3G routers. We give each guest a Gig and they can top up. It's a mess as guests expect free internet. We have used Vodacom mostly as their signal is the best. But seeing what Telkom is doing we may want to go for R200 5 Gig Telkom for small cottages and R700 Uncapped for larger homes.

The R200 5 gig is nice because the contract can be terminated with 30 day calendar notice. The current uncapped deal is fixed for 24 months which may make it a difficult choice for some owners.

krycor

Honorary Master
use 5.4 Ghz wifi and i think he should reduce interruption.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
There are 2 Wi-Fi (ISM) bands available in SA.

The 5.4 GHz (not Ghz) router operates in the higher band ...

naeem

Expert Member
lol @ the icasa fears.

For one place, its 2 buildings, diagonally across the road from each other (4way intersection) - anyway, distance was about 50 or 60metres. Full line of sight. Used 2 of these https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanostationm/

I think its nearly 3 years and going strong.

Although perhaps this would be the easiest, depending on your distances?
https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lr/

Their interface is fairly easy and you can setup different wifi access codes and different speeds for them (not sure if you can cap the data though)

johanhorak

lol @ the icasa fears.

For one place, its 2 buildings, diagonally across the road from each other (4way intersection) - anyway, distance was about 50 or 60metres. Full line of sight. Used 2 of these https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanostationm/

I think its nearly 3 years and going strong.

Although perhaps this would be the easiest, depending on your distances?
https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lr/

Their interface is fairly easy and you can setup different wifi access codes and different speeds for them (not sure if you can cap the data though)
Thanks Naeem. Excellent. These two homes are also 40 or 60 metres apart. And Full line of sight. :)

Toxic T

Expert Member
I also do not understand this ICASA thing. I receive a wifi signal from multiple people that live around me and I am sure that they did not confirm with ICASA.

Budza

Executive Member
Change passwords regularly too. Don't want to have the neighbourhood piggybacking off you.

I've been asked for BnB WiFi passwords by street vendors etc in the vicinity. While I didn't give it to them, I'm sure there are some that would :erm: