Extend WiFi To House Across The Road

Moosedrool

Executive Member
Might have been my fault. But I'll still check with them is it was me just to be on the safe side.

johanhorak

Ubiquity Easy and easily 500 meters range
Thanks. I got a quote from them yesterday. I have no clue why but they sent a quote for two 5GHz AirMax MIMO NanoBeam 19dBi PtP/PtMP at R1,710.53 each (R3,421.06 total).

Have they made a mistake quoting 2 or am I dumb?

I thought one would beam my signal to the house across the road and these users would tap into the Ubiquity signal.

Aquadyne

Expert Member
Thanks. I got a quote from them yesterday. I have no clue why but they sent a quote for two 5GHz AirMax MIMO NanoBeam 19dBi PtP/PtMP at R1,710.53 each (R3,421.06 total).

I thought one would beam my signal to the house across the road and these users would tap into the Ubiquity signal.
Hehe..
No, it is correct. It is a point to point connection (PtP) - you need a device at each end.

It isn't a Wifi Extender.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

That is a major over kill solution!

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Looks good to me. What would you rather do?
I am not saying it will not work, I am saying that for a simple extension over the road ( 40- 50m) problem to extend a crappy 3G mobile service, this solution is over-kill.

IF the incoming service was over ADSL or fibre, then yes, the solution offered makes sense.

breacher

You can certainly complicate your life by trying to talk to ICASA, but why?

Use a wi-fi extender, and carefully choose a channel based on what the Wi-Fi usage around you, end of story.
It is illegal to do that. And because of that mentality you contribute to the existing problems. Always better to walk the straight and narrow... :p

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
It is illegal to do that. And because of that mentality you contribute to the existing problems. Always better to walk the straight and narrow... :p
@Dominic, It is time for you to step into the breach and set the record straight here!

Thor

Honorary Master
Overkill.

Get a ubiquity Nano station.

You'll easily hit 350+ meters

webtailor

you can go and get two or three point 2 point antennas to get this thing going. if you cannot do it yourself and you have some budget, get some professionals to do it.

The ICASA story is actually to protect your network. Let's say that the police station is close by and if they have interference from your antennas, they can complain and if you do not have a license, ICASA can legally put your wireless network down.

from my side, i did my wireless point 2 point with a professional company with Ubiquity equipment running on the 5ghz band. And I manage to get a ICASA license months after it was up & running. It took about 3 months to get it.

I'm close to some government infrastructure and also some cellphone towers so I played safe. If they come to me saying that my network is interfering with theirs, I can tell them... sorry for you but I have a license!

By the way, the ICASA license is free.

Thor

Honorary Master
you can go and get two or three point 2 point antennas to get this thing going. if you cannot do it yourself and you have some budget, get some professionals to do it.

The ICASA story is actually to protect your network. Let's say that the police station is close by and if they have interference from your antennas, they can complain and if you do not have a license, ICASA can legally put your wireless network down.

from my side, i did my wireless point 2 point with a professional company with Ubiquity equipment running on the 5ghz band. And I manage to get a ICASA license months after it was up & running. It took about 3 months to get it.

I'm close to some government infrastructure and also some cellphone towers so I played safe. If they come to me saying that my network is interfering with theirs, I can tell them... sorry for you but I have a license!

By the way, the ICASA license is free.
You can do it yourself and you can do it for less than 1500 bucks.

Ubiquity ftw