External SSD for iMac

Spizz

Goat Botherer
We're looking to give my wife's iMac a boost (5400 rpm HDD at the moment) by booting from an external SSD and need a recommendation for a minimum sized external SSD to comfortably run OS X.

I can get a good priced 250gb, would this be enough to run the OS and a few programmes, while just using the HDD for storage?

JacquesR

You could start by looking at her storage usage on the current HDD, as her use-case is surely the best indicator? I'm on a Macbook, and running everything I need off a 128GB internal SSD (with 25GB free). But I don't store much (really, any) media.

In any event, 250Gb seems more than enough to me - the key issue is perhaps more whether it isn't preferable to install an internal SSD, as you'd then be protected from accidental removals of the external drive, which will of course now bring the system crashing down. I don't know the specifics of your situation, but this thread might have interesting suggestions for you.

Ray7905

I’d say swop out the HDD for an SSD. Scrap the external drive idea.

You can do it yourself with some finesse and a YouTube tutorial and save yourself some bucks. If it’s still a 5400rpm HDD then it’s an older iMac so the screen will come off with a suction cup. I used my GPS suction cup you stick on the window

I newer iMac will require patience and some tools. I’d recommend getting Istore or DigiCape to do it.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
It's a 21.5" model that we got about 2 years ago. We got if through FNB and think they are still selling the same ones with the same 5400 rpm HDD so I think it's not such an old model. I didn't fancy opening it up so I just thought external would be easier and at a reasonable cost.

scud

sacomputers.co.za in Cape Town did a good jod installing an sdd on one of my old iMacs
They have the parts / brackets you need
3.5" to 2.5" HD converter bracket @ R249.00incl, and an hour of labour for installation and data transfer @ R798.00incl

That what it cost me , I had the ssd

Last edited:

CPTBoy

Problem with external drives is depending on what interface you use, it's almost always going to be slower than fitting it internally.

It makes a massive difference to the overall experience.

scud

Problem with external drives is depending on what interface you use, it's almost always going to be slower than fitting it internally.

It makes a massive difference to the overall experience.
Yup, better to replace the internal. An external ssd won’t give you much speed diff

Nefertiti

Honorary Master
We're looking to give my wife's iMac a boost (5400 rpm HDD at the moment) by booting from an external SSD and need a recommendation for a minimum sized external SSD to comfortably run OS X.

I can get a good priced 250gb, would this be enough to run the OS and a few programmes, while just using the HDD for storage?
I tried something similar with an old version macbook and it did not work. Have no idea why, no error messages just nothing. Your imac is newer so might not have the same issues I had though. Rather swap out the hdd and replace with ssd.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Thanks for the advice folks. I think internal is the way to go, need to save up for 1TB though.

bin3

Give a shout out to Apple Solutions Experts. After saving me 15k I can honesty recommend them ....should be a straight forward upgrade

bigboy529

Expert Member
I'm looking at doing the same for my late 2013 iMac, I'm just looking for a place in Pretoria which won't charge a arm and a leg and who I can trust to not screw it up if they cut it open. If I recall, Digicape wanted R9K a year or so ago when I asked them, this included a 512 GB SSD.
Thing with Digicape, I asked them to quote me on putting in 16 GB RAM since the machine will be opened up, appart from the cost for the RAM, they wanted R2K or so additionally for labour so the entire job would have been over R13K labour costing more than the parts.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I’ve taken the plunge and purchased a Samsung 850 500gb drive from Amazon. Works out about R1800 so about R600 cheaper than I saw online in SA.

Can anyone recommend someone they can trust to install it in Somerset West area? I like to keep both kidneys so a reasonable price would help.

Lord Flacko

I'm looking at doing the same for my late 2013 iMac, I'm just looking for a place in Pretoria which won't charge a arm and a leg and who I can trust to not screw it up if they cut it open. If I recall, Digicape wanted R9K a year or so ago when I asked them, this included a 512 GB SSD.
Thing with Digicape, I asked them to quote me on putting in 16 GB RAM since the machine will be opened up, appart from the cost for the RAM, they wanted R2K or so additionally for labour so the entire job would have been over R13K labour costing more than the parts.
I have a mate. I can ask him how much. The only issue is that we are all based Joburg side.

bigboy529

Expert Member
I have a mate. I can ask him how much. The only issue is that we are all based Joburg side.

If I know someone has done it before and have confidence in doing it, then Joburg won't be a problem if the price is right. I don't trust weFix to do it, their Mac guy at the Menlyn store basically said he never did it before but will give it his best shot.

ponder

Honorary Master
Can anyone recommend someone they can trust to install it in Somerset West area? I like to keep both kidneys so a reasonable price would help.
When it comes to third party mac repairs many people here have recommended a guy by the name of Denis.

Repairs Com
Address: 15 Schopshire St, Paarden Eiland, Western Cape, 7405, South Africa
City of Cape Town
,Post Office box: 60128, Table View, 7439
Phone number:
021 510 5517

Give him a call and see what he says. He's a good guy and knows hiis schit.

Last edited:

Spizz

Goat Botherer
When it comes to third party mac repairs many people here have recommended a guy by the name of Denis.

Repairs Com
Address: 15 Schopshire St, Paarden Eiland, Western Cape, 7405, South Africa
City of Cape Town
,Post Office box: 60128, Table View, 7439
Phone number:
021 510 5517

Give him a call and see what he says. He's a good guy and knows hiis schit.
Thanks. Indeed, I’ve seen the name before. Will give him a buzz when I’m back home next week.