F1 - 2018 season discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Joined
May 11, 2011
Messages
21,147
Last time this was mentioned, this car was used as an example of a car that can race and stay close behind a car in front.

To elaborate;

IndyCar has had almost 1,000 on-track passes after four races of the 2018 season in a 110% increase on last year, according to figures released by the series.

One of the new car package's primary goals was to improve racing by moving downforce under the Dallara IR-12 chassis, and reducing the number of aerodynamic appendages to allow for closer following.

IndyCar has since raced on two street courses, one oval and one road course, meaning it has competed on each type of track in its schedule.

After Barber, the series claims it has had 999 passes for position on the track (compared to 475 in 2017), although IndyCar includes first lap moves and cars being lapped and unlapped.

When reigning IndyCar champion Josef Newgarden was asked if the new car had ticked the boxes it needed to, he said: "I think so. The last test is Indianapolis and that's our biggest event and our event we want to get the best at.

"But the car has performed well everywhere.

"Phoenix, which has historically been a tough race, it's been difficult for passing, the track layout with these cars just has not been conducive to a lot of passing in the race and we had a much-improved show.

"Yeah it wasn't perfect and maybe it can be better, but the show was [still] much better.

"The difficulty with the car really added to having to work for it around that track and you had to drive the car a lot more than recent years.

"On the street courses, everyone has been raving about St Pete and Long Beach as great races.

"And then Barber, it seems to be very similar to street courses and hopefully, we can continue that through the year."

The new 2018 car has also proven to be more punishing of driver errors, which Newgarden is pleased to see.

"More people making mistakes is a good thing, it shows the difficulty of the car," he said.


"It's the first year with it and we're still trying to figure out how to make it work.

"It moves a lot more than what we've been used to in the last three years.

"It just makes everyone a little bit more critical of their inputs and really understand what they're doing on the track."

Apparently not only has drag and downforce been reduced, but the braking areas have been increased as well, creating ''room'' for passing moves to be made.

However, it should be noted that this is a spec aero kit. This kind of thing will be difficult to replicate in F1 because as we know teams do their own thing and continually look to exploit grey areas and loopholes.
 

Ecco

Executive Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
8,902
Potential Street race in Miami

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...---miami-grand-prix-proposal---statement.html

The exact timing of a Formula 1 Miami Grand Prix would be a matter for further discussion between F1, the FIA and the Miami authorities, but if approved we hope at this stage that the inaugural race would take place in October 2019.

Later this year, as part of a fan experience that has already seen us deliver F1 Live London last season, and the hugely successful fan festival in Shanghai, we will be hosting further fan festivals in Marseilles ahead of the FORMULA 1 PIRELLI GRAND PRIX DE FRANCE 2018, and of course in Miami itself, ahead of the FORMULA 1 2018 PIRELLI UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX in Austin Texas.

We will not be commenting further at this stage.
 

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Joined
May 11, 2011
Messages
21,147
I meant that if they change the rules so that everyone has to use the same aero kit from one manufacturer.

Oh. That will end the sport as we know it I reckon. Ferrari won't accept that and I could see the other manufacturers (Mercedes and Renault) having their reservations as well. Unless of course they are the manufacturer that wins the right to supply the grid. Williams from a sporting/spiritual perspective may even object as they have a history of calling out teams like Haas and Toro Rosso for doing little of their own design and development work.
 

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Joined
Dec 3, 2010
Messages
18,126
That sounds like A1 racing all over again. If it goes that way, I probably won't be the only one switching off.
 

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Joined
May 21, 2004
Messages
19,528
Won't be F1 if they're using kit cars.

I'd be happy if they give the drivers more mechanical grip, more fuel and remove DRS. They may become slower overall but the racing would be better.
 

Dave

Honorary Master
Joined
Aug 31, 2008
Messages
76,531
I meant that if they change the rules so that everyone has to use the same aero kit from one manufacturer.

Though they wouldn't have to go that far, they could just legislate a single front wing and a simple back wing with DRS designed into it and let them design their own kit around that.
 

Willie Trombone

Honorary Master
Joined
Jul 18, 2008
Messages
60,038
Though they wouldn't have to go that far, they could just legislate a single front wing and a simple back wing with DRS designed into it and let them design their own kit around that.

This. And remove the radio comms. Let drivers decide for themselves when the tyres are off. Give them a pit button and a tyre strategy button to let the team know when they want to come in.
 

Wall

Sports Addict
Joined
Mar 12, 2009
Messages
30,841
This. And remove the radio comms. Let drivers decide for themselves when the tyres are off. Give them a pit button and a tyre strategy button to let the team know when they want to come in.

that won't happen anytime soon.
 

Zyraz

Expert Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
2,658
Does anyone know if the WEC race at Spa is getting broadcast on supersport ? Which channel and what time ? If not , any links to where it can be watched online ?

Alonso inherits Spa WEC pole as sister Toyota excluded from qualifying.

Fernando Alonso's Toyota has been promoted to pole position for the FIA World Endurance Championship season opener at Spa after the sister car was excluded from qualifying.

Mike Conway and Kamui Kobayashi had set the fastest average time in the #7 TS0S0 Hybrid in qualifying on Friday, 0.379 seconds ahead of Alonso and teammate Kazuki Nakajima in the #8 machine.

However, the #7 car subsequently had its times deleted due to an "incorrect declaration of Fuel Flow Meter", according to a stewards' bulletin.

It means the car Alonso shares with Nakajima and Sebastien Buemi will start from pole position ahead of the two Rebellion Racing privateer LMP1s.

Toyota issued a statement explaining that: "An incorrect identification number for the car's fuel flow meter was declared for the #7 prior to qualifying.*

Want motorsport news in your inbox?

Sign up for our newsletters!

"This subsequently emerged during post-qualifying scrutineering.*As a result, the car will start from the pit lane, one lap behind the field.*

"The team accepts full responsibility for the error, which had no impact whatsoever on car performance.*The fuel flow meter which was used in the #7 was fully homologated and calibrated.*

"Team processes and procedures will be strengthened immediately to avoid any repeat of this unfortunate error."

The #7 car will start from the pitlane*and won’t be permitted to start the race until the last car completes the opening lap.


https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/alonso-inherits-spa-pole-toyota-excluded-1033685/
 
Last edited:

Zyraz

Expert Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
2,658
[video=youtube;C8BAYobmDMo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8BAYobmDMo[/video]
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top