F1 2019 season discussion and chat.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Maybe. Maybe not. Lewis is more level headed.
The hard and clean racing between Max and Leclerc in Austria and Britain? The composed way he won in Germany (360 aside)?

I was critical of Max, but he's stepped up his game.

Daruk

Honorary Master
The hard and clean racing between Max and Leclerc in Austria and Britain? The composed way he won in Germany (360 aside)?

I was critical of Max, but he's stepped up his game.
He has definitely upped his game but I'd reserve praise until we see him in a WC battle.

upup

Executive Member
Apparently he still needs to work on his language. He use the word "beep" to much.

Inevitability

Expert Member
Anyone else wonder why Merc didn't leave Bottas out on track after Hamilton and Leclerc damaged his front wing?
Looked to me like Sainz wasn't really putting pressure on him.
Ok, he was losing time to the front 4, but if Merc conceded that P5 was his fight they could have left him on track, let gaps open up in the midfield, then pit him when he was gonna slot into somewhere like P15.
His race was over as soon as he pitted.
Bottas is faster than he gets credit for ... he might not be as fast as Hamilton, but Merc should stick with him.
The only driver I'd rather see in the Merc is Sainz, and that's for no other reason except that I'm a fan of Sainz, not cos he'd be better/faster than Bottas.
We fans need Max to stay at Red Bull and Leclerc to stay at Ferrari so when those teams sort their s#!t out, we'll have 3 teams fighting.
I guess in a perfect F1 world (2021?), it might work out for Saiz to stay at McLaren and then we can have a 4-way fight.
That would be epic

Fox1

Expert Member
Something looked wrong with Bottas tyres after locking up twice at the start. Must have been a nasty flat spot. The front wing was also rubbing hard against the curbs.

caroper

Executive Member
And James Vowles expected him to get back up to 6th. In the end he didn't quite make it but the strategy call was good, as far as Merc were concerned, and they had more info to go on.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
This race highlights yet again how Bottas doesn't deserve that Merc seat. They should give it to Norris.
George Russell makes more sense than Lando. He's already sort of in the Mercedes family and is the reigning F2 champion. And won GP3 a year before that.

If Merc want a rookie, he's the most deserving candidate.

Dave

Honorary Master
George Russell makes more sense than Lando. He's already sort of in the Mercedes family and is the reigning F2 champion. And won GP3 a year before that.

If Merc want a rookie, he's the most deserving candidate.
I think either Russell or Norris would be a good call, Russell does seem like the better choice for Merc, all things considered.

caroper

Executive Member
I think either Russell or Norris would be a good call, Russell does seem like the better choice for Merc, all things considered.
If Bottos is out, and I don't think he will be as he is a good wingman, the only choice of replacement mid season is Occon as he is available.

That aside you can't really bring in a Rookie mid year, it will destroy the team ballance and, if the decision is for next year, they will wait a lot longer to decide who will replace Bottas.

By the end of the year the current standing could well change.

It is more of a risk assessment exercise than a decision making process at this stage of the year.

MaximusZA

You forgetting Merc have Esteban Ocon in the wings waiting for a seat, in my opinion Ocon is looking to edge out Bottas for a seat next year

Dave

Honorary Master
So Bottas didn’t join the team for the post race photo on Sunday? I wonder if that is indicative of a bigger problem or if something was said about his lacklustre race (all those laps meekly sitting behind Danny Ric must have been noticed).

Mr Bean got Bottas’s place in the photo.

Budapest - A luckless Valtteri Bottas was conspicuous by his absence on Sunday when Mercedes assembled for their post-race team photograph following Lewis Hamilton's triumph in the Hungarian Grand Prix.

When the team realised, British comic-actor Rowan Atkinson - the star of sitcom hit Mr Bean and who was at the race as a guest - was ushered to the front in his place alongside Hamilton.
https://www.sport24.co.za/Motorsport/over-to-you-mr-bean-actor-takes-bottas-spot-in-hungary-photo-20190804

Dave

Honorary Master
If Bottos is out, and I don't think he will be as he is a good wingman, the only choice of replacement mid season is Occon as he is available.

That aside you can't really bring in a Rookie mid year, it will destroy the team ballance and, if the decision is for next year, they will wait a lot longer to decide who will replace Bottas.

By the end of the year the current standing could well change.

It is more of a risk assessment exercise than a decision making process at this stage of the year.
Most definitely, I wasn’t discussing a mid-season change, was talking more of a future plan for next season.

Inevitability

Expert Member
Ocon is a bit overhyped... Its not like he was smashing his teammates out of the park these past seasons. Russell's pace is an unknown, although he beats Kubica in qualifying and the race almost every time. Can't remember whether he was quick in his Mercedes test. Will Google it later.
So I'm not sure anyone could say for sure that either of them is faster or more reliable than Bottas.
Anyway, Toto Wolff said there's no way Russell is coming in next year... They want him to learn more at Williams.
And if you guys are saying Lando has a shot, Sainz is as good, maybe even better.
Don't get me wrong: I'm only saying Bottas is the best fit in this Merc team that has Hamilton. If the seats were both empty, it's a whole different story

caroper

Executive Member
Ocon is a bit overhyped...
Over hyped yes, but not for the reasons you are assuming. He is a Mercedes Driver Managed by Toto Wolf and Placed at Williams as a stopgap so that he did not drop out of F1 entirely.
So all the pundits mention Occon, not because of comparative times etc. but because of his relationship to Toto Wolf and the Mercedes team.
This will become a showdown, on paper at least, of Drivers that are already in the Mercedes Stable, they will not be even considering Red Bull or Ferrari Drivers (Unless Max became available).

Inevitability

Expert Member
So here is Bottas’ 2019 so far:
  • Two wins
  • Five P2’s, all behind Hamilton
  • 3rd in Monaco after getting hit by Max in the pits and needing to pit again
  • 3rd in Austria with that overheating Merc, remember
  • 4th in Canada where Ferrari were very very quick on those straights
  • DNF in Germany, hit the wall. At the time, he was running behind the out-of-position Stroll , with only Kvyat and Max ahead.
  • Beats Hamilton in qualifying in Hungary, but got slapped across the nose twice on Lap1 and came from dead last to 8th on the track everyone calls “Monaco without the walls”
When I look at it like this, the only things that might possibly count against him are the mistake in Germany (millimetres onto the wet) and a meh race in Canada (and even that’s a bit harsh cos Ferrari was so fast)
I am disappointed with myself that I’ve been suckered by the media into thinking he’s in danger, or that he hasnt been driving well … this guy has had a great season up until this point.
I think most fans consider Hamilton, Max, Vettel and Leclerc as the top drivers on absolute pace.
So, at best, Bottas might be the 5th-ranked driver on pace.... and yet I think only Max and Hamilton have driven better (... my opinion, of course)
Sorry Valtteri ... I have just found some new respect for you while writing this essay.

<sigh>
this is why i stopped watching football... I waste too muc time on this s#!t
</sigh>

powermzii

Expert Member
He really isn't a bad driver and in many ways a perfect #2. Whats possibly missing is a cutting edge to make him that 2% faster in the fastest car this season.

TheExaminedLife

Enjoyed the quip by Lewis to Max at the end of post race press conference.

“Q: Sebastian, final thoughts on Fernando? Would you like to see him back?
SV: I don’t mind. I don’t know why… I don’t think he never really liked me. I don’t think we really had a… I don’t mind him. I respect him for what he achieved and for what he can do on track. I don’t know. I guess he’s bored if he has time to write these things. So bring him back, I don’t mind.
MV: Maybe as a social media manager. To me, he’s always been very nice and good. I like that he is also now looking into other opportunities for racing. He just loves racing and he wants to win, he wants to be competitive. It’s good to see.
LH: The sport needs the best drivers in the best seats and there is still at least a seat available that’s good enough for winning and he’s good enough for winning so it wouldn’t be such a bad…
MV: Maybe he could speak to Toto.
LH: Valtteri’s great; Valtteri’s been winning. You’re the one with the extra seat, I would say.
MV: I didn’t say that.
SV: I’m not sure…”