F1 2019 season discussion and chat.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Joined
May 11, 2011
Messages
14,723
Williams confident they’ve established the right design direction for 2019/20

Williams’ 2019 campaign started badly, with car delays and missed tests, and it didn’t get much better when they went racing, Robert Kubica and George Russell woefully off the pace in the season’s opening few rounds. But upgrades introduced in the last couple of races have lifted them off the bottom of the timesheets.

That, says Claire Williams, is not the consequence of some sudden quick fix, but rather the result of several months of work finally bearing fruit, first on the mechanical side of their Mercedes-powered FW42 – and then on its real Achilles' heel, downforce.

“There have been a lot of mechanical upgrades or improvements etc – work that’s been going on that you may not necessarily have seen – that has really helped stabilise the car and give the drivers greater confidence,” she said. “A lot of work has gone into some of those components.

“But then obviously we needed to focus on aero performance as well because that’s where we were really down after the winter. But through putting in this new approach that we did last year, we always knew that was going to take some time to come to fruition.”

In hindsight, Williams admitted that a breakthrough for the aerodynamics team had come with the new bargeboard design introduced at the British Grand Prix back in July – not because of any huge, immediate performance gain, but because it validated their work.

“I think the bargeboard probably showed us that the direction that the aero group are taking is the right one – we’ve been waiting quite a long time to see whether it is,” she continued. “We have fantastic correlation between the track and the tunnel.

“The work that the aero group have done on rakes for example, on simulation work – the direction they’ve taken in that work alone – has really helped move the dial forward for us from an aero perspective.”
“You can get a bit lost in a loop sometimes in aero, so it was a case of taking those steps back and now I think we’re definitely seeing that we can move forward, hopefully quickly.
Found the last bit interesting and it ties in with what George Russell Said. They got caught up in the aero chasing performance and couldn't really see what was going on. Stepped back, started from scratch and have now slowly made gains. I hope they can keep moving forward.
 

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Joined
May 11, 2011
Messages
14,723
McLAREN RACING RETURNS TO INDYCAR

Partnering with Arrow Schmidt Peterson Motorsports and Chevrolet from 2020

McLaren Racing announced today it will return to full-time IndyCar competition from 2020 in a strategic partnership with Arrow Schmidt Peterson Motorsports (Arrow SPM) and Chevrolet. McLaren last competed full-time in IndyCar in 1979.

Under the partnership, the team will be renamed Arrow McLaren Racing SP and will field two Chevrolet-powered cars in the 2020 NTT IndyCar Series, reflecting the continuing status of Arrow Electronics as the team’s title partner, as well as a new manufacturer partnership with Chevrolet.

The partnership will see the infrastructure of Arrow SPM underpin the team’s operations, while McLaren adds technical expertise, commercial experience and marketing strength to enable the new entity to perform at the highest competitive level and regularly challenge for wins and the series title. Arrow SPM co-founders Sam Schmidt and Ric Peterson continue in their current roles.

Gil de Ferran, Sporting Director, McLaren Racing, will lead the McLaren IndyCar programme and involvement in Arrow McLaren Racing SP. He will helm a dedicated group from McLaren Racing, independent of the Formula 1 team.
Zak Brown, CEO, McLaren Racing, commented:
“IndyCar has been part of McLaren since our early years of racing, and the series today provides not only a commercial platform to continue to grow our brand in North America, but competition with some of the best teams in international motorsport.
According to Brown, Alonso hasn't yet shown any interest in a full-time Indycar drive but they are planning talks at the Italian Grand Prix next month. They have committed to fielding a third car in the Indy 500 next year which will likely be for Alonso if he doesn't want to run a full Indycar season.
 
Last edited:

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Joined
May 11, 2011
Messages
14,723
Extended coverage of last nights Indy Crash:
Apparently there are calls from some quarters for Indy to stop going to that track. Its the same track where Justin Wilson was killed (although that sort of thing could've happened on any track) and last year Robert Wickens was paralysed there. Its fast and wide which people say encourages drivers to take risks, a la Takuma Sato triggering the crash in this video.

People are also saying Sato needs a ban. They like his aggressive, no fear driving style but if there is a huge crash more often than not he is involved.
 

caroper

Executive Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2003
Messages
6,382
Has this become the Indy thread now?
No, but as Indy is currently in the F1 Spotlight and several F1 Drivers were involved it is not as far off topic as several other current threads.
Or is it better to just suspend the F1 Thread during the Break?
 

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
Joined
Sep 13, 2007
Messages
96,586
No, but as Indy is currently in the F1 Spotlight and several F1 Drivers were involved it is not as far off topic as several other current threads.
Or is it better to just suspend the F1 Thread during the Break?
Yes
 

Naks

Expert Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2009
Messages
4,027
https://www.racefans.net/2019/08/22/first-wind-tunnel-test-of-2021-f1-rules-produced-exceptional-results/



F1 and the FIA tested a 50% scale model of a car based on the new rules at the wind tunnel operated by Sauber, which runs the Alfa Romeo F1 team.The rules are intended to reduce the turbulence produced by cars, which has been blamed for the difficulty drivers experience in overtaking other cars. Current designs lose around 50% of their downforce when they run within two car-lengths of another car. The new design is intended to cut that to 5-10%.
While Formula 1 teams are limited by regulations to a maximum wind tunnel model size of 60%, F1 used a 50% model in order to gain more useful data on the aerodynamic wake behind a moving car. Symonds told the official F1 website the results of the first test were “actually beyond what I thought we could achieve when we started the project.”
“With the configurations we have got at the moment, the results are exceptional,” he added.
According to F1 the “general results” of the test will be shared between all the teams. The test was run by Sauber’s consultancy group, not its F1 team, in order to prevent them gaining an advantage over their rivals from the knowledge of the test.
 

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Joined
Jul 27, 2016
Messages
10,868
Downforce lost by following car??? Don't these guys learn anything?
From 50% to 5-10% is a huge change and will make overtaking etc a lot easier.

Not sure it'll have any effect on brake cooling and such, but it should improve tyre performance and thus reduce tyre temps through the bends.
 

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Joined
May 11, 2011
Messages
14,723
Horner: IndyCar Red Bull aeroscreen use could give it new F1 chance

Red Bull chief Christian Horner believes the use of the aeroscreen cockpit protection device in IndyCar could revive the prospect of introducing it to Formula 1, if it works well.

Next season the Red Bull Advanced Technologies-designed concept will make its debut in IndyCar, having initially been developed for F1 and trialled on-track in 2016.

Red Bull's device was rejected by the FIA in favour of the halo, which has been established as the world governing body's favoured option, but earlier this year IndyCar announced it would adopt the aeroscreen from 2020.

"I'll be interested to see how it operates in IndyCar, how it's received, some of the challenges that will inevitably happen," Red Bull team boss and Advanced Technologies CEO Horner told Autosport.
 
Top