15 Antonio Giovinazzi Alfa Romeo Racing 2.759s 22 laps
16 Kevin Magnussen Haas 2.914s 21 laps
17 Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso 3.062s 20 laps
18 Pierre Gasly Toro Rosso 3.394s 26 laps
19 Nicholas Latifi Williams 4.210s 24 laps
20 Robert Kubica Williams 4.392s 24 laps

thestaggy

Honorary Master
anyone know why George Russell not in the Williams for FP1?
Nicholas Latifi (their third driver) is being given the opportunity to run in FP1. Its the third time this season he's run in FP1.

Latifi gets third FP1 outing with Williams at Spa

Williams reserve driver Nicholas Latifi will enjoy at Spa his third free practice of the season with the Grove-based outfit.

The Canadian - who currently stands second in the FIA Formula 2 Championship with DAMS and who previously drove for Williams in Montreal and at Paul Ricard - will attempt once again to make the most of the Friday morning session as he builds his case for a race seat with Williams in 2020.

"Nicholas joins us on Friday for his third FP1 session of the season and it will be interesting to get his impression of how the car has changed since his last outing in France, having seen some improvements in our performance in Budapest," said Williams race engineer Dave Robson.
At this point it is safe to say that Williams are evaluating how much of an improvement over Kubica he will be as a full-time race driver.

Naks

Expert Member
At this point it is safe to say that Williams are evaluating how much of an improvement over Kubica he will be as a full-time race driver.

At this point in time, 100% the only truly undeserving driver to be on the grid.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
no, but he's quicker than Kubica, so he deserves to be there
Ahead of Ocon? Keep in mind daddy Stroll buying the team was a major factor in Ocon moving out of the way so Lance could carry on racing.

Both Stroll and Kubica are on the grid because of money.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Stroll is good enough to be there imo. He brilliantly kept it on the road at Hockenheim when many about him (including the 5 times champ) couldn't. Unfortunately I think he's the kind who will only prosper in a truly great car (which, unless he somehow gets a drive at one of the top 3, won't happen). He doesn't have the knack to drag a dog of a car into the points but that can also be said for most of the current drivers on the grid.

Inevitability

Expert Member
Bottas is much like Rosberg though. He can't win a championship unless he has the best car on the grid and his partner has issues. It's not the most exciting thing in the world.
I'd much rather see what someone like George Russell can do. Not a bad chance Mercedes feels the same but doesn't want to risk inflicting upon themselves what happened at Red Bull.
There are so few competitive seats in F1 - it's not unreasonable for fans of the sport to insist that only championship calibre drivers sit in them.
I'll agree he's not on the same ultimate pace as the fastest drivers, but I have to argue against the idea of the strongest team having the 2 strongest drivers, only cos this hasn't happened often in all the years I've been watching F1. Since the days of Senna/Prost there's rarely been two proper title contenders in the same car.
I can only think of Alonso/Hamilton that one year, and Hamilton/Rosberg in the year that Rosberg won.
And in both those years i didn't find it much fun fun to watch the awkward battle inside of a team.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I'll agree he's not on the same ultimate pace as the fastest drivers, but I have to argue against the idea of the strongest team having the 2 strongest drivers, only cos this hasn't happened often in all the years I've been watching F1. Since the days of Senna/Prost there's rarely been two proper title contenders in the same car.
I can only think of Alonso/Hamilton that one year, and Hamilton/Rosberg in the year that Rosberg won.
And in both those years i didn't find it much fun fun to watch the awkward battle inside of a team.
Well of course, ideally the top drivers are also competing across teams. But right now we don't have that luxury. So the next best thing is to at least see the drama of the best drivers being in the best cars but same teams.

Hamilton, Russell, Verstappen, Ricciardo, LeClerc & Norris in the 6 best seats would make every single race an epic spectacle.

Inevitability

Expert Member
Russel? Norris? Ricciardo?
I think we've discovered something wondrous... the mybroadband forum connects alternate realities
:D