F1 2019 season discussion and chat.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Hopefully they learn from this and don't have any discussions before the race about who is going to be in the lead by corner 3.
Right?! It Should be as simple as go race but please don't take each other out.

Fox1

Expert Member
I wouldn't put this result totally on ferrari. The VSC rules need to be looked at again. Pitting under VSC doesn't neutralise the race like VSC supposed to.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I wouldn't put this result totally on ferrari. The VSC rules need to be looked at again. Pitting under VSC doesn't neutralise the race like VSC supposed to.
Why though? It adds excitement to the race. Prevents one team from always running away with it purely because they have the most money/fastest car.

When this same VSC pitstops work against Merc or other teams nobody complains, but let it happen to poor old Le Clerc...

Daruk

Honorary Master
Except that VSC / SC are artificial vectors. No use blaming the VSC for not neutralizing the lead of the guys ahead... who were ahead to start with.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
I'm sure if Verstappen was in a fast enough car he'd try to pass the guy in front of him until the very last lap.

Vettel has pulled all sorts of stunts.

Hamilton has raced guys to the last lap on many occasions (even in his rookie years). Had huge team mate battles with Alondo and Rosberg.

Ricciardo has driven how many laps with a broken gearbox to win.

Schumacher purposefully crashed into people to win.

It's not always pretty, but that's what sets those guys apart.

So far Le Clerc's F1 career can be summed up as "The team screwed me over", "come on guys it's only fair that I get let past" and "I didn't expect my teammate would pass me at the start".

Just saying.
Really? If Max was in a faster car he would be able to do it? You didn't answer my question about your comment re champion quality, yet Max has driven for how long now and how is that champion quality coming along? You make it sound like the Red Bull is a bad car.

Also LeClerc has out performed and out driven Vettel for most of the season, yet the disrespect shown to a young driver in his 1st season with such a big team is incredible

CUDlybunny

Expert Member
You say lucky, I say Merc strategy/gamble was on point again.
Most will see how events played out and say it was luck and yes that played a big part but much was discussed pre-race about the Mercs gambling by starting on the mediums and from turn 1 it seemed like it was all a bit desperate and hopeless for merc.

The only entertainment upfront seemed to be the squabble at Ferrari, this was an easy one two Ferrari threw away. Could make a big difference in the constructors standings season end.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Really? If Max was in a faster car he would be able to do it? You didn't answer my question about your comment re champion quality, yet Max has driven for how long now and how is that champion quality coming along? You make it sound like the Red Bull is a bad car.

Also LeClerc has out performed and out driven Vettel for most of the season, yet the disrespect shown to a young driver in his 1st season with such a big team is incredible
Geez dude. The Red Bull wasn't even close to matching the others' for pace.

You're taking this very personally though. Fact is - Ferrari ****ed up and their better driver today had engine problems and their other driver couldn't pass a single car.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Most will see how events played out and say it was luck and yes that played a big part but much was discussed pre-race about the Mercs gambling by starting on the mediums and from turn 1 it seemed like it was all a bit desperate and hopeless for merc.

The only entertainment upfront seemed to be the squabble at Ferrari, this was an easy one two Ferrari threw away. Could make a big difference in the constructors standings season end.
Trouble is, at the end of the season, they can't look back at a single point and say - that's where we failed. They seem to be finding their feet like newbies in this sport this year (and last).

CUDlybunny

Expert Member
Ferrari stand no chance in winning in Japan. They blew this opportunity. Le Clerc should understand that Vettel had a blinding start and he was going to get overtaken.
Leclerc will argue that pre-race they 'agreed' giving Vettel a tow to get ahead of Hamilton and if that meant giving up 1st position then they would swap positions later.

I can see this being done in a team where there's a clear no. 1 and 2 driver. You can't possibly expect Vettel to help the rookie that's come in and looked faster than him most of the season. Likewise Leclerc is not going to assist his slower team mate/rival when Leclerc is looking like the fastest driver in the fastest car at the moment.

Ferrari are going to have to put team orders aside and let their drivers get on with it, problem is with just the last quarter of the season left, today's result has pretty much secured the constructors championship for merc.

Ferrari can have one two finishes from here out and score another say 220 points. Merc have a 162 point gap, they just need to score 60 points from here out and realistically probably even less than that.

Fox1

Expert Member
It's good hearing Binotto speaking about perfection after the race. He is trying his best to let this one run it's course and even Le Clerc sounds like he will let this "pass" like Singapore and move onto the next race because at the end of it all, Mercedes got lucky but the real problem was a Ferrari engine one, which kinda ruined the race for the fans and the team.

Daruk

Honorary Master
It's good hearing Binotto speaking about perfection after the race. He is trying his best to let this one run it's course and even Le Clerc sounds like he will let this "pass" like Singapore and move onto the next race because at the end of it all, Mercedes got lucky but the real problem was a Ferrari engine one, which kinda ruined the race for the fans and the team.
I just hope the bigwigs don't give him the chop. He actually did well under the circumstances other than the pre-race discussion about places. This is the first time the Ferrari has been technically sound, so clearly he's the right guy for the job. They have a habit of throwing their people to the wolves at Ferrari. If he sticks around, they will be serious contenders next year, and if Mercedes don't up their game, they will walk it like Mercedes has been this year so far.

I have a lot of respect for the man. I could even support the team under him. That's saying a lot considering I've been a Macca / Merc supporter from the get-go.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
This team is a trainwreck.

Williams retired Kubica’s car to conserve parts

Williams retired Robert Kubica from the Russian Grand Prix to save parts for future races.

Kubica pulled out of the race on the 28th lap out of 51 while he was running in 16th position.

A team spokesperson confirmed to RaceFans they decided to retire Kubica to conserve parts as they were not in contention for points.

Kubica retired one lap after his team mate George Russell crashed out. Williams is looking into the cause of the lock-up which sent his car into the barriers at turn eight.

“This weekend has been very disappointing,” said Kubica. “You always have to try your best with what you have, and this is what I was trying to do.

“After George’s DNF, the team decided to stop my car, to take care of the parts that we have on the car. We are not in an easy situation and Japan is around the corner.”
Google Andrea Moda and Onyx. This is exactly what was going on with those two half-baked teams in the late 80s/early 90s. No money, no spare parts. Andrea Moda only had enough resources and parts to really hope to get one of their cars on to the grid and Onyx started using cannabalised parts from the owner's sportscar collection to keep their cars on the track. Complete joke for a team of Williams stature to be in a position like this.

Archer

Honorary Master
So far Le Clerc's F1 career can be summed up as "The team screwed me over", "come on guys it's only fair that I get let past" and "I didn't expect my teammate would pass me at the start".

Just saying.
And here I thought his career can be summed up as being ahead of 4xWC Vettel in the standings (even before this race)
Just saying :rolleyes:

Gosh, when some people put their blinkers on they sure do get a little crazy

Hamster

Resident Rodent
And here I thought his career can be summed up as being ahead of 4xWC Vettel in the standings (even before this race)
Just saying :rolleyes:

Gosh, when some people put their blinkers on they sure do get a little crazy
If you go by that yardstick then it we can sum it up as "behind Bottas a non world champ" and "at least 5 wins behind the current world champ" and "miles ahead of Raikkonen who is a World Champ".

You fan boys are silly... tsk tsk

powermzii

Expert Member
This team is a trainwreck.

Williams retired Kubica’s car to conserve parts

Google Andrea Moda and Onyx. This is exactly what was going on with those two half-baked teams in the late 80s/early 90s. No money, no spare parts. Andrea Moda only had enough resources and parts to really hope to get one of their cars on to the grid and Onyx started using cannabalised parts from the owner's sportscar collection to keep their cars on the track. Complete joke for a team of Williams stature to be in a position like this.
Especially also considering that it wasn't too long ago they finished 3rd in the WC with a decently quick car. What a shame really

Fox1

Expert Member
I hope Ferrari give Vettel the boot soon. He had his shot at winning the Championship but instead he chose to put his own "spin" on it and left it to overflow into the current season. Now he is been undone by a rookie in his own team and letting his Multi-21 side come through again. Hulkenberg is available, he is German and I'm sure he won't mind being a solid no.2.