F1 2019 season discussion and chat.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Bring back the ******* V12s intensifies

*Watch yourselves if you are using headphones.

caroper

Executive Member
Sky News are saying that 250 Kph Winds are expected on Saturday and there is talk of canceling the RWC matches.
I suspect they may cancel FP3 and Quali too.
Probably a Repeat of Quali on sunday morning as has happened before in Japan.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Jesus. Williams' parts situation is so dire George Russell will use Kubica's race wing from Sochi while Kubica's car will be fitted with a wing that was used in the Barcelona test at the start of the year.

Yes folks, Williams had all of two up-to-date wings at their disposal. They literally cannot afford to have their cars involved in any incidents. Just imagine if they had someone like Grosjean driving for them. They can be damn lucky Russell and Kubica have been safe pairs of hands.

Fox1

Expert Member
Ermmm... How are William's still on the grid? Talk about dire straights. Now we will really never know if Kubica got the most of the car in his come back.

caroper

Executive Member
Now we will really never know if Kubica got the most of the car in his come back.
That is if we assume he got a car on his comeback, this year's williams can hardly be considered as one .................

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Ermmm... How are William's still on the grid? Talk about dire straights. Now we will really never know if Kubica got the most of the car in his come back.
Two points stand out;

1) They're so slow they cannot get mixed up in any racing action, which means less risk of being involved in incidents. Outside of the first few laps, they don't race other cars.
2) A lot of credit to their drivers, who haven't been trashing their cars. Russell has been very mature and all the criticism aside, Kubica has done exactly what you'd expect of a veteran; bring the car home in one piece session after session and race after race.

More on point 2;

Kubica and Russell ‘hid’ Williams’ parts problem

“I think we were very lucky, or somehow you have to be lucky as well, as in first-lap accident you never know as you have no control of the others,” Kubica is quoted by Motorsportweek.com.

“I think together with George we have been lucky the whole season not to do silly things, or limit silly things, and we were able to hide the problem for pretty long.

“But unfortunately Singapore and Russia showed up that we were not ready for what is called a risk of motorsport, and racing, as in the end nothing strange happened we just lost a couple of front wings, which might happen every weekend.”
According to this article, I was a little harsh on Williams earlier. They had four front wings, not two...

Last edited:

Archer

Honorary Master
If you go by that yardstick then it we can sum it up as "behind Bottas a non world champ" and "at least 5 wins behind the current world champ" and "miles ahead of Raikkonen who is a World Champ".

You fan boys are silly... tsk tsk
Pity for you I don't actually support anyone, as long as it's not a Merc 1-2 I'm happy. What a craazzzyyy fanboy I am!

caroper

Executive Member
Official: All Saturday track action cancelled at Suzuka

"As a result of the predicted impact of Typhoon Hagibis on the 2019 FIA Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix, Mobilityland and the Japanese Automobile Federation (JAF) have decided to cancel all activities scheduled to take place on Saturday, 12 October," read a brief statement from the sport's governing body.

"The FIA and Formula 1 support this decision in the interests of safety for the spectators, competitors, and everyone at the Suzuka Circuit."

The rescheduled qualifying session will take place at 10:00 (local time), 02:00 (BST), with the race starting, as scheduled, at 14:10 (local time).

There will be no FP3.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Possible changes coming to F1 cockpit protection?

IndyCar aeroscreen can withstand more force than F1 halo - Red Bull

The aeroscreen IndyCar will adopt in 2020 is stronger than the halo device used in Formula 1 and other single-seater categories, according to developer Red Bull Advanced Technologies.

The device - which also features a halo-like structure - was tested on-track for the first time on Wednesday at Indianapolis, after which IndyCar drivers Will Power and Scott Dixon suggested it would be ready immediately if required.

The halo device F1 introduced for 2018 is tested with a load of 112 kilonewtons on the car, and can take a reported maximum load of 125kN in total, but the aeroscreen is thought to be capable of withstanding 25kN more than that.

"We've adopted it [the halo, in F1], however, the forces which this device [the aeroscreen] or the hoop will take is 150kN," said Red Bull Advanced Technologies commercial development officer Andy Damerum (pictured below).

"So I think that at the moment [this will take] more than the F1 halo. 150kN this will take."
The screen has de-fogging capability and it was just tested for a second time in wet conditions at Barber Motorsport Park and the drivers cleared it.

caroper

Executive Member
FP2 times could decide Suzuka grid

In a unprecedented move, the stewards at Suzuka have announced that due to the uncertainty over the weather on Sunday, the times posted in today's second session could decide Sunday's grid.

"In view of the inclement weather forecast for the weekend, and noting that the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations are silent on the subject, the Stewards have examined methods for establishing a grid for the 2019 Japanese Grand Prix, should weather conditions preclude holding the Qualifying Practice session," read a brief statement issued shortly after FP1.

"Should this eventuality come to pass, the Stewards will exercise their authority under Article 11.9.3.b of the International Sporting Code and direct that the grid for the Japanese Grand Prix will be established based on the Second Practice Session Classification, with any penalties applied as necessary."

With all activity on Saturday cancelled due to the imminent arrival of Typhoon Hagibis, qualifying is scheduled to take place on Sunday morning at 10:00 local time.

However, should there be any delay to the session, such as incident or the weather, it would impact the race which is due to start just over three hours later. With sunset at 17:10 local time, just three hours after the race is due to start, this leaves little room for manoeuvre, hence the unprecedented announcement by the stewards.

No doubt, Chase Carey and the team are pondering whether this might be the perfect opportunity to try one of their many ideas for changing the format.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Just need now to put wipers and indicators on
Suddenly, the okes who clean your windscreen at traffic lights are smiling as they could possibly be employed.

"Ja Valtteri, I clean your windscreen lekker my outjie. Somma got a R2 for me my broe?"