F1 2020 season discussion and chat.

caroper

Executive Member

Other than the news that the cars will essentially remain unchanged - aero development will be allowed - the other significant move is that FOM can revise the 2020 race schedule without the teams' approval.

"During this exceptional time and following several race postponements and the World Motorsport Council’s (WMSC) unanimous decision to move the Formula 1 Summer break forward to March and April, we and the FIA discussed with the teams the need for extra flexibility to accommodate a rescheduled season once the COVID-19 situation improves," he said in a statement.

"At the meeting there was full support for the plans to reschedule as many of the postponed races as possible as soon as it is safe to do so. Formula 1 and the FIA will now work to finalise a revised 2020 calendar and will consult with the teams, but as agreed at the meeting the revised calendar will not require their formal approval. This will give us the necessary flexibility to agree revised timings with affected race promoters and to be ready to start racing at the right moment.

"In addition, as announced by the FIA, it was agreed unanimously at the meeting that the implementation of the Technical Regulations due to take effect from the 2021 season will be postponed until 2022.

"Due to the currently volatile financial situation this has created, it has been agreed that teams will use their 2020 chassis for 2021, with the potential freezing of further components to be discussed in due course. The introduction and implementation of the Financial Regulations will go ahead as planned in 2021.

"We are all very grateful for the collaborative nature of the discussions and fully united approach from all parties to get racing in 2020 as soon as the current global situation subsides. Formula 1 remains fully committed to launching a 2020 season as soon as possible."

Daruk

Honorary Master
Ok guys. 2020 did not happen. It was a leap year. Just skip it. Modern calendars will not include it.

Christo4

****, nothing to watch!!!
Please virus I need my fix.
Go away and never come back.
Let Mercedes win. Just go away. :crying:

caroper

Executive Member
****, nothing to watch!!!
Please virus I need my fix.
Go away and never come back.
Let Mercedes win. Just go away. :crying:
But they can't hold the prize giving Gala because it is more than 100 people.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Racing is back on boys. Kind of.

Formula 1 launches Virtual Grand Prix Series to replace postponed races

Formula 1 has today announced the launch of a new F1 Esports Virtual Grand Prix series, featuring a number of current F1 drivers. The series has been created to enable fans to continue watching Formula 1 races virtually, despite the ongoing COVID-19 situation that has affected this season’s opening race calendar.

The virtual races will run in place of every postponed Grand Prix, starting this weekend with the Virtual Bahrain Grand Prix on Sunday March 22. Every subsequent race weekend will see the postponed real-world Formula 1 race replaced with a Virtual Grand Prix*, with the initiative currently scheduled to run until May**.

The first race of the series will see current F1 drivers line up on the grid alongside a host of stars to be announced in due course. In order to guarantee the participants safety at this time, each driver will join the race remotely, with a host broadcast live from the Gfinity Esports Arena (or remotely if required) from 8:00pm (GMT) on Sunday March 22.

The series will use the official F1 2019 PC video game, developed by Codemasters, and the first virtual GP on the Sakhir track will be a 50% length race with 28 laps. The broadcast, which will be available on the official Formula 1 YouTube, Twitch and Facebook channels, as well as F1.com, is expected to run for 1 hour 30 minutes, with a qualifying period where grid positions will be determined based on the drivers’ fastest lap time.

Due to the wide variety of gaming skill levels amongst the drivers, game settings will be configured in such a way to encourage competitive and entertaining racing. This includes running equal car performance with fixed setups, reduced vehicle damage, and optional anti-lock brakes and traction control for those less familiar with the game.
Max and Lando will probably dominate as they make extensive use of online simulators.

caroper

Executive Member
It could be fun, a bit late though as that is 10PM our time.
Count me in for the first race.

caroper

Executive Member
They should have had all the team simulators hooked up and race in those rather than a PC game though.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
So what racing driver excuses will we expect now? No, "No front end grip". No, "Rear is sliding too much". Nope, now we'll get "Omg, so much lag!"

maq_

any idea on whether we will get a refund on our F1 TV pro subscriptions?

NotOdin999

any idea on whether we will get a refund on our F1 TV pro subscriptions?
Contact support. I've used the live chat before, and they've been quite helpful. I doubt if you'll get a refund, though. I was on monthly, and I've cancelled it for the time being. I might get F1TV Access to watch archived races, and then get a Pro sub again when the season finally starts.

Naks

Expert Member

"A report has emerged claiming that Toto Wolff is in throes of being announced as cheif executive of Aston Martin as he and Aston Martin’s new boss Lawrence Stroll, also owner of Racing Point, missed a crucial meeting with Formula 1 stakeholders this week.

Jonathan McEvoy wrote in a report for Sprotsmail: “The two men are believed to have travelled back together from Australia, where last Sunday’s postponed race was due to be held, and suggestions were rife on Thursday night — though denied by Mercedes — that Wolff is being lined up to take over as chief executive of Aston Martin, the British sports car company in which Stroll has recently bought a major shareholding.”

Should this be true, it will shake the pinnacle of the sport to its foundations as Wolff has masterminded F1’s most powerful team ever, 12 F1 titles in six years testament to their dominance. ..."

Fox1

Expert Member
I'm guessing Toto expected some assurance from Mercedes to stay in the sport by the start of the Australian GP but no word must've come through so he weighed his alternate option.

Some real buddy buddy dealing going on with RP looking very much like a Mercedes already.

quovadis

Expert Member
I'm guessing Toto expected some assurance from Mercedes to stay in the sport by the start of the Australian GP but no word must've come through so he weighed his alternate option.
He own's 1/3 of the team and there's no indication they're slowing down - what would be the point?

Naks

Expert Member
McLaren engine switch from Renault to Mercedes will go ahead in 2021: https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/51981569

"McLaren's switch from Renault to Mercedes engines next year will go ahead despite teams having to run the same cars for two years. ...

McLaren's engine move was discussed in that context at Thursday's meeting of F1 bosses and approved, the team said. ...

An engine switch with the same chassis should be relatively straightforward for McLaren because F1 rules stipulate that the mounting points on the engine must be the same for all manufacturers.

That means McLaren will only have to make packaging changes to accommodate the different architecture of the Mercedes engine.

This is still a significant piece of work, but the team will seek to make the minimum changes possible while maintaining maximum competitiveness from one season to the next."

Christo4

Before I start getting excited here - exactly the same power output, etc than Mercedes F1 engine?