F1 2021: New season discussion and chat

JohnStarr

Expert Member
Unfortunately for Michael, a lot of people's perception of his driving comes down to Adelaide 94 and Jerez 97, forgetting all his masterclass drives.
Wonder if Hamilton & Rosberg would also be remembered for their tricks!

Cr4ig

Honorary Master
I was looking at doing Baku but its gone closed door, from what I gather its less complicated with regards to Visas and stuff compared to EU even Abu Dhabi.

Planning on going to Abu Dhabi GP if crowds allowed

I want to do the Portuguese GP. Funds dependent.

Dave

Honorary Master

The only one I can think of was when Rosberg stopped and then reversed back onto the track at Monaco one year in qualifying to cause a yellow flag and make everyone else slow down after he had pole.

chromedome

Expert Member
I guess by then people will not object. Personally, he has earned the title of the "greatest of all time."

No disrespect to Michael but the set of skills Lewis possesses is incredible. He has shown time and again that he is that great.

People will have a problem because of his behaviour (with a hint of arrogance) or the things he says, but that doesn't and shouldn't detract from his abilities as a driver

Right now he has a slightly less powerful car compared to the Red bulls but his skills are carrying him through, and he is matching them.

This year should be fun and interesting for the title fight between him and Max.
I have to agree, I'm no Hamilton fan, but the man can drive that's for sure. I thoroughly enjoyed watching him carve through the field up to second place. He has become a complete driver and I can't wait to see the fight between him and Verstappen hopefully for the rest of the season. Hopefully checo and the two Ferrari lads can come to the party too, which would make for some tasty racing this year.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I have to agree, I'm no Hamilton fan, but the man can drive that's for sure. I thoroughly enjoyed watching him carve through the field up to second place. He has become a complete driver and I can't wait to see the fight between him and Verstappen hopefully for the rest of the season. Hopefully checo and the two Ferrari lads can come to the party too, which would make for some tasty racing this year.

Michael never done that?

Clawing back 25s in 13 laps (30s if you count Alesi falling off the track under pressure) at the Nurburgring in '95; the birth of the Regenmeister at Spain '96 (Lapped everyone but 2nd and 3rd); the 12 laps of devastation at Spa '97 (Pulled a 1 minute lead on the field in 12 laps. In the wet.); the mid-race qualifying stint at Hungary '98; 13th to 2nd and hunting Alonso at Imola 2005 in what was the worst Ferrari since the early 90s.

Last edited:

chromedome

Expert Member
Michael never done that?

Clawing back 25s in 13 laps (30s if you count Alesi falling off the track under pressure) at the Nurburgring in '95; the birth of the Regenmeister at Spain '96 (Lapped everyone but 2nd and 3rd); the 12 laps of devastation at Spa '97 (Pulled a 1 minute lead on the field in 12 laps. In the wet.); the mid-race qualifying stint at Hungary '98; 13th to 2nd and hunting Alonso at Imola 2005 in what was the worst Ferrari since the early 90s.
I'm am out an out Schumacher fan and was not knocking him in any way. I just enjoyed watching Hamilton show his skill. I don't support any one driver or team, just like good racing. Schumacher was and is imho still the best ever.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
dffd4d4bee4187a47388f2ea1900c185.jpg

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Interesting stat someone posted on Reddit.

- With Hamilton's fastest lap bonus point on Sunday, Vettel remains as the only non-Mercedes driver to lead the championship since 2014.

thestaggy

Honorary Master

No chance of changing names: Ferrari, Alpine, Aston Martin, McLaren, Red Bull, Alpha Tauri or Williams (The 'Williams' brand name is about the only thing of value Dorilton got in that deal).

Slim chance of a name change: Mercedes rebrands to Ineos or AMG. Ineos are now equal part-owners (three-way between Daimler, Ineos and Toto) and Mercedes have pushed the AMG brand by pasting it all over the car.

Likely candidates: Alfa Romeo or Haas.

This is the final year of Alfa's deal with Sauber and there was a big development in the motoring world as PSA and FCA merged earlier in the year as 'Stellantis'. Alfa falls under the FCA banner, but there is a possibility that one of the other PSA/FCA brands with racing pedigree are used (Peugeot, Maserati, Abarth) or they may call the team 'Stellantis' in deference to the new company.

Haas could very well be bought out by Papa Mazepin, leading to a name change. I don't think Gene Haas is long for F1 while his team circulates around at the back amid bad publicity.

Last edited:

CPTBoy

Expert Member
Rich Energy? :ROFL:

No chance of changing names: Ferrari, Alpine, Aston Martin, McLaren, Red Bull, Alpha Tauri or Williams (The 'Williams' brand name is about the only thing of value Dorilton got in that deal).

Slim chance of a name change: Mercedes rebrands to Ineos or AMG. Ineos are now equal part-owners (three-way between Daimler, Ineos and Toto) and Mercedes have pushed the AMG brand by pasting it all over the car.

This is the final year of Alfa's deal with Sauber and there was a big development in the motoring world as PSA and FCA merged earlier in the year as 'Stellantis'. Alfa falls under the FCA banner, but there is a possibility that one of the other PSA/FCA brands with racing pedigree are used (Peugeot, Maserati, Abarth) or they may call the team 'Stellantis' in deference to the new company.

Haas could very well be bought out by Papa Mazepin, leading to a name change. I don't think Gene Haas is long for F1 while his team circulates around at the back amid bad publicity.

JohnStarr

Expert Member
Michael never done that?

Selectively ignoring history in order to only focus on what the current champion has done. Got to love consigning the drives Schumacher used to have to a past memory (and I wasn't a Schumacher fan then...appreciate what he did in the years since).

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...

I would peg it to be Haas to be honest.

Gene is more than likely gatvol of F1 and the team not delivering the results he wants.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Schumacher's "not qualifying first" and "laps not led" to win ratio is better than Hamilton's.

/end discussion