F1 2021: New season discussion and chat

cr@zydude

Executive Member

No chance of changing names: Ferrari, Alpine, Aston Martin, McLaren, Red Bull, Alpha Tauri or Williams (The 'Williams' brand name is about the only thing of value Dorilton got in that deal).

Slim chance of a name change: Mercedes rebrands to Ineos or AMG. Ineos are now equal part-owners (three-way between Daimler, Ineos and Toto) and Mercedes have pushed the AMG brand by pasting it all over the car.

Likely candidates: Alfa Romeo or Haas.

This is the final year of Alfa's deal with Sauber and there was a big development in the motoring world as PSA and FCA merged earlier in the year as 'Stellantis'. Alfa falls under the FCA banner, but there is a possibility that one of the other PSA/FCA brands with racing pedigree are used (Peugeot, Maserati, Abarth) or they may call the team 'Stellantis' in deference to the new company.

Haas could very well be bought out by Papa Mazepin, leading to a name change. I don't think Gene Haas is long for F1 while his team circulates around at the back amid bad publicity.

Agreed with your list. I think that 'Stellantis' would be the least likely name to use though, if they keep up the sponsorship. Much more likely to use one of their brands.

Sauber could even have a completely new sponsor for next season.

JohnStarr

Expert Member
I would peg it to be Haas to be honest.

Gene is more than likely gatvol of F1 and the team not delivering the results he wants.
To be expected when they did zero development on the car and they have a scumbag as Mick Schumacher's team mate.

JohnStarr

Expert Member
VW via Lamborghini taking over one of the lesser teams...? Which would only be Haas or Alfa Romeo (no sense in Fiat bankrolling 2 teams in F1).

cr@zydude

Executive Member
VW via Lamborghini taking over one of the lesser teams...? Which would only be Haas or Alfa Romeo (no sense in Fiat bankrolling 2 teams in F1).

Ferrari is technically an independent company now, even though John Elkann is the chairman of both Ferrari and Stellantis.

thestaggy

Honorary Master

Just a note: Fiat don't own Ferrari anymore.

Fiat merged with Chrysler in 2014 and immediately began offloading Ferrari. By 2016 they ceased to have any interest in Ferrari.

Ferrari is now 67.1% publically owned, with 22.9% in the hands of a holding company and the remaining 10% held by Piero Ferrari.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Just a note: Fiat don't own Ferrari anymore.

Fiat merged with Chrysler in 2014 and immediately began offloading Ferrari. By 2016 they ceased to have any interest in Ferrari.

Ferrari is now 67.1% publically owned, with 22.9% in the hands of a holding company and the remaining 10% held by Piero Ferrari.
For the people, by the people

richjdavies

Expert Member
Didn't I hear once the Lambo point blank refuse to be part of F1? I.e. that is the kind of thing Ferrari do, but we don't... Although of course, they did do engines right?

If its VW, why not Bugatti or Porsche?

thestaggy

Honorary Master
A Redditor got his hands on Williams' CAD model that was ripped from their launch and ran it through CFD. He posted his results.

JohnStarr

Expert Member
Didn't I hear once the Lambo point blank refuse to be part of F1? I.e. that is the kind of thing Ferrari do, but we don't... Although of course, they did do engines right?

Could be Porsche too. Bugatti, Porsche (if I remember correctly) and Lamborghini (Larousse Lamborghini in the 1980s) have all been involved.

thestaggy

Honorary Master

Lambo built F1 engines and even ran a team for a while in the late 80s - early 90s. They were not successful though, which is why I think they have snubbed F1 since. A bit humiliating for them to be running around at the back.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Could be Porsche too. Bugatti, Porsche (if I remember correctly) and Lamborghini (Larousse Lamborghini in the 1980s) have all been involved.

Correct. First entered in the 60s and then they returned in the 80s and built the successful TAG-badged turbo engines that powered McLaren.

They returned again with NA engines and supplied Footwork Arrows in 1991 but that was a complete disaster, with Footowork ditching them 6 races in to the season.

caroper

Executive Member
Looks like a lot of red flags.
No run off's and a long way to drive a recovery truck.
Not that I am complaining about the walls, that is the proper way to define track limits rather than an arbitrary stewards decision. ;)

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I think Vietnam is going to be an epic track to watch...

They may never race there. It was pulled from the 2021 calendar after the person championing it was arrested and jailed on unrelated corruption charges, so Vietnam doesn't really have anybody pushing for it now.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
They may never race there. It was pulled from the 2021 calendar after the person championing it was arrested and jailed on unrelated corruption charges, so Vietnam doesn't really have anybody pushing for it now.

Yeah I know... but I hold out hope that it will happen at some point and when it does it will be an epic track to watch a race on.