F1 2021: New season discussion and chat

Dave

Honorary Master
You think Merc wants to upset Lewis?

I think the critics believe Ham has more power than he does or that he isnt still up for a fight with a team mate.

Neither Merc or Ham have ever said that is so.

Dups!

Expert Member
Well done Lewis!

I knew Lelerc was there for the taking but with that penalty I had a bit of doubts there.

Executive Member
Bottas did exactly what we can expect from him. Be there or there about. Too fast to lose the podium, too slow to win the race.

Not sure losing to a Ferrari is what is expected from him? This should have been an easy 1 + 2 for Merc - He really is losing Merc points even when they are effectively free.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Camera director cuts to Lewis climbing a barrier during LeClerc’s interview

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Not sure losing to a Ferrari is what is expected from him? This should have been an easy 1 + 2 for Merc - He really is losing Merc points even when they are effectively free.

Well that’s what I mean. He did “enough”. The Ferrari pace today came completely out of left field, even they didn’t expect it.

Dave

Honorary Master
Well that’s what I mean. He did “enough”. The Ferrari pace today came completely out of left field, even they didn’t expect it.

You think Russell would have lost almost 8 seconds on Ham in the same car like Bottas did towards the end of the race?

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
You think Russell would have lost almost 8 seconds on Ham in the same car like Bottas did towards the end of the race?
Not a chance. That's why they need to get rid of Bottas and put Russell in there.

Bottas is a good driver but he isn't aggressive or hungry the way race-winners and champions are. Russell drives like it's his last race ever and he wants to go out with a bang. Qualifying 8th in what's essentially a Ford Fiesta? Dude deserves the best car on the grid.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
The moment Max was clipped, there was about a second, maybe two, before impact.

I presume you lift off the accelerator and hit the brake for starters.

Is there anything else you need to do , for eg, is there some kind of fuel shut-off switch ?

Let go of the steering wheel so you don't break your thumbs/wrist and then just brace for impact.

Shut down mode probably only comes in after the dust has settled.

Executive Member

I disagree, I think he should have had a better result today considering he didn't have to be Hamilton's wing man.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
1626625499587.png

giphy.gif

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
I disagree, I think he should have had a better result today considering he didn't have to be Hamilton's wing man.
You're misunderstanding me. Perhaps I'm not being clear.

Bottas was disappointing, as he always is. He did "enough" in that he got a podium and it looks good and woohoo well done. But considering the car he is in and the incidents in the race, he should have won. He isn't good enough, he isn't fast enough and he is too conservative. He doesn't deserve the seat.

Executive Member
Sky reports tiptoeing around this incident. At least Button admitted that putting your nose there is not what you should be doing. So it does sound like Horner has a valid point and I think when Horner says "it looks desperate" might be valid.

Mercedes my have won this one, but the sprint race just shows that actually if Max was still in the race, they probably wouldn't have won it. I still think Merc are on the back foot this year, and still have an uphill fight to go.

Genisys

Honorary Master
Sky reports tiptoeing around this incident. At least Button admitted that putting your nose there is not what you should be doing. So it does sound like Horner has a valid point and I think when Horner says "it looks desperate" might be valid.

Mercedes my have won this one, but the sprint race just shows that actually if Max was still in the race, they probably wouldn't have won it. I still think Merc are on the back foot this year, and still have an uphill fight to go.
Sky has always been Pro Hamilton, anti anythign that isn't Hamilton. Naturally they would love to keep it that way.

Main takeaway here is that Hamilton loves to colide with the Red Bull's for some reason.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
In my honest opinion, you guys are a bit unfair.

The crash sucks and I'm sure neither driver wanted contact. You're going on like Hamilton intentionally took Max out which I highly doubt is the case. I do think he intentionally tried to make a move where he probably shouldn't have, but this idea that he went for Max is a bit of a stretch. Had it been Bottas it would have been a bad incident. Hamilton does it and it's a conspiracy to try kill max or whatever the hell you okes are on about.

Executive Member
In my honest opinion, you guys are a bit unfair.

The crash sucks and I'm sure neither driver wanted contact. You're going on like Hamilton intentionally took Max out which I highly doubt is the case. I do think he intentionally tried to make a move where he probably shouldn't have, but this idea that he went for Max is a bit of a stretch. Had it been Bottas it would have been a bad incident. Hamilton does it and it's a conspiracy to try kill max or whatever the hell you okes are on about.

I think the problem here is that effectively "10s" is really nothing for Hamilton in the bigger picture. Case and point is this race. You could have given him 15s and he would have still won.

Whright

Expert Member
I think the problem here is that effectively "10s" is really nothing for Hamilton in the bigger picture. Case and point is this race. You could have given him 15s and he would have still won.
Just Goes to show that the Mercs cars are still fast.

powermzii

Expert Member
Interesting how Lewis is saying Verstappen is "too aggressive" - his words not mine