F1 2021: New season discussion and chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yats

So apparently Alonso was 8 points away from being a 5 time WDC and Prost 5.5 (12.5 to be an 8 time WDC).

Trying to find more details but if I understand correctly, had Prost driven under the current scoring system he would've been a 5 time WDC and he also never lost to a team mate.

One analysis also showed that there is significantly less driver influence these days on car reliability than in the 80s, which makes sense because tech has advanced quite a bit in 40 years.

Just shows you how impossible it is to compare drivers that far apart. Apparently, Prost is up there among the greats and I know very little about him.

One of those was 1988. Prost had more points for the season but the rules at the time let drivers drop their worst result. Senna ended up winning due to that rule

cr@zydude

Executive Member
So apparently Alonso was 8 points away from being a 5 time WDC and Prost 5.5 (12.5 to be an 8 time WDC).

Trying to find more details but if I understand correctly, had Prost driven under the current scoring system he would've been a 5 time WDC and he also never lost to a team mate.

One analysis also showed that there is significantly less driver influence these days on car reliability than in the 80s, which makes sense because tech has advanced quite a bit in 40 years.

Just shows you how impossible it is to compare drivers that far apart. Apparently, Prost is up there among the greats and I know very little about him.

When did you start watching F1? Prost vs Senna was the story of the late 80s. Think Hamilton vs Rosberg but dialed up to 11.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
When did you start watching F1? Prost vs Senna was the story of the late 80s. Think Hamilton vs Rosberg but dialed up to 11.

When I started watching with my dad I was 7-8 and Damon Hill was the big name. I only really really started following from about 2000 (high school).

Hamster

Resident Rodent
One of those was 1988. Prost had more points for the season but the rules at the time let drivers drop their worst result. Senna ended up winning due to that rule
I ****ing knew he was overrated :p

Naks

Executive Member
How rotational inertia led to traction control: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-rotational-inertia-led-traction-control-willem-toet/

TLDR;
"...They were basically using the engine air box as a pitot tube to measure airspeed, and for combinations of engine RPM that were impossible to reach at that airspeed (which implied wheel spin) you retard spark advance or trigger the rev limiter.

Done correctly, you could hide your traction control in your ignition mapping. Impossible to prove at scrutineering, because there was no explicit “traction control circuit” or function in the ECU. ..."

Meister-Man

Expert Member
Can someone point me to a doccie or similar about Kimi's early f1 days.
Really trying to illustrate to the younger generation just how fast he was in his younger days, I'm thinking McLaren 03 to Ferrari 07 and maybe even his lotus years.
E.g. I know someone who only watched f1 since the hybrid days and Kimi was beaten by Vettel

caroper

Executive Member
It was Enzo Ferrari himself that coined the term "garagistes," to scornfully describe the small back-yard racing teams like Cooper and Lotus and tonight we bid farewell to Sir Frank Williams - the last true garagiste - may he RIP and be sure that he will never be forgotten.

a nice obituary here:

Last edited:

Naks

Executive Member
260379805_10158868417303759_3077569660413270288_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.