F4SD wants North West renamed Bophuthatswana

Mila

Honorary Master
That is actually a good idea in such a divided country.

Leave us in KZN to be a country on our own. Western Cape can proclaim independence too.

Gauteng and Limpopo can join Zimbabwe.

Mpumalanga can join Swaziland.

Northern Cape can join Namibia.

Free State & Eastern Cape can join Lesotho.

:thumbsup:
Gauteng for Zim. Don’t be crazy.

Hemps

Executive Member
I thought they did not like anything related to apartheid. One would think that the name Bophuthaswana would open that 'wounds' again. But then again, maybe they decide what they like and what not about those days. Perhaps it could be a longing....
Chronologically disadvantaged....

ponder

Honorary Master
I speak under correction but I think the area where Bop was located formed part of the former Bechuanaland protectorate. Mahikeng used to be the capital in those days...

thechamp

Honorary Master
I speak under correction but I think the area where Bop was located formed part of the former Bechuanaland protectorate. Mahikeng used to be the capital in those days...
Actually no, the protectorate did not include the area formely known as Bop, how Mafikeng became the capital is beyond me since Mafikeng was also out of the protectorate.

Okay it seems like there were two capitals, Mafikeng and Gaborone.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Well if they want to do that, then they must use 3D CGI and reincarnate PW Botha, then we can get Koos and all the surviving members to write new protest songs too.

ponder

Honorary Master
Actually no, the protectorate did not include the area formely known as Bop, how Mafikeng became the capital is beyond me since Mafikeng was also out of the protectorate.

Okay it seems like there were two capitals, Mafikeng and Gaborone.
There was the protectorate and crown colony of Bechuanaland. Mafikeng was withing the crown colony borders and the capital for a long time before it moved to Gabarone. It stayed the capital until 1965 even though it was outside the protectorates borders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahikeng
Although it was outside the protectorate's borders, Mafeking served as capital of the Bechuanaland Protectorate from 1894 until 1965, when Gaborone was made the capital of what was to become Botswana. Mafeking also briefly served as capital of the Bantustan of Bophuthatswana in the 1970s, before the adjoining town of Mmabatho was established as capital when Bophuthatswana became nominally independent in 1977.

The british being the british split the colonony and protectorate of the territory called Bechuanaland and incorporated it into the cape colony in 1895. So part of Bechuanaland became part of SA and the rest became Botswana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bechuanaland_Protectorate
Bechuanaland meant the country of the Tswana and for administrative purposes was divided into two political entities. The northern part was administered as the Bechuanaland Protectorate and the southern part was administered as the crown colony of British Bechuanaland. British Bechuanaland was incorporated into the Cape Colony in 1895 and now forms part of South Africa.

I should not have said protectorate just Bechuanaland to avoid this confusion, my bad.

ForceFate

Honorary Master

Leave us in KZN to be a country on our own. Western Cape can proclaim independence too.

Gauteng and Limpopo can join Zimbabwe.

Mpumalanga can join Swaziland.

Northern Cape can join Namibia.

Free State & Eastern Cape can join Lesotho.

:thumbsup:
Wouldn't that be great!?

/runs

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I thought they did not like anything related to apartheid. One would think that the name Bophuthaswana would open that 'wounds' again. But then again, maybe they decide what they like and what not about those days. Perhaps it could be a longing....
How old are the lads leading this "stokvel"?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I'll tell you what would be great, when the people elect Jacob Zuma as the President.
/runs faster than ForceFate.
:D
I can imagine the influx into neighbouring countries, with some heading to Good Hope and others Gauteng (or whatever it would be called)

flippakitten

Expert Member
Not sure you can rename a province and then still pay for service delivery when you're already bankrupt.

At least they'll have their dignity while the sewage overflows into the drinking water.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
BophuthaBotswana. Rolls off the tongue. Never mind that name changes leaves less money for service delivery, but Africa logic. Pffft..

BBSA

Honorary Master
Why wast money on nonsense, if you want Service Delivery......

Last edited: