Facebook accused of trying to kick GovChat off WhatsApp

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Facebook accused of trying to kick GovChat off WhatsApp

GovChat has told the Competition Tribunal that Facebook wants to kick them off WhatsApp so Facebook can deal directly with the government to offer similar services.

GovChat describes itself as a civic engagement platform. It offers various government-sanctioned communications services, including information relating to COVID-19 and connecting with government representatives.

Thor

Honorary Master
Sounds to me like GovChat did not read the TOS.

The government can contact me if they want to build a legit (official & legal) WhatsApp chatbot, I can do Telegram too.

Joe Average

Why, battle Facebook, just move to Telegram or Signal, and do it properly this time.
Not sure if Telegram or Signal have a Business API... which is what companies use to programmatically control their WhatsApp/Facebook Business accounts

Johand

Expert Member
I am still trying to figure out what GovChat is. It seems like a private entity that is not a SOC. This smells suspicious to say the least.

Prof.Merlin

Expert Member
I worked for Praekelt Consulting up to around a month and a half ago. What I remember happening between Praekelt and Govchat is definitely not quoted in here and most of it is a lie. This article feels like Govchat is blaming Praekelt Consulting beause they are not allowed to operate on Whatsapp anymore, and in reality Praekelt has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Thor

Honorary Master
I worked for Praekelt Consulting up to around a month and a half ago. What I remember happening between Praekelt and Govchat is definitely not quoted in here and most of it is a lie. This article feels like Govchat is blaming Praekelt Consulting beause they are not allowed to operate on Whatsapp anymore, and in reality Praekelt has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Sounds about right. That is how I understood it as well.

mobioki

"The Competition Tribunal asked GovChat what its business model is given that it offers its services for free to government. GovChat declined to answer the question in a public forum."

Yeah GovChat is 100% legit, but it can't talk about how it makes money.

mobioki

"The Competition Tribunal asked GovChat what its business model is given that it offers its services for free to government. GovChat declined to answer the question in a public forum."

Yeah GovChat is 100% legit, but it can't talk about how it makes money.
My guess based on the investors (Capital Appreciation owing 35% in GovChat. Capital appreciation also been Fintech / Payment and Payment Infrastructure business) is that GovChat was hoping to using WhatsApp APIs in a way that would allow financial services sold/distributed on/through WhatsApp. The Chairman (https://www.govchat.org/news/) of GovChat is an ex NET1 co-founder. NET1 being the guys who used to pay Social grants to on behalf of the South African Government. Super interesting, but when you build you house on someone else's property and you don't follow the rules then only you are to blame.

Gerry

My guess based on the investors (Capital Appreciation owing 35% in GovChat. Capital appreciation also been Fintech / Payment and Payment Infrastructure business) is that GovChat was hoping to using WhatsApp APIs in a way that would allow financial services sold/distributed on/through WhatsApp. The Chairman (https://www.govchat.org/news/) of GovChat is an ex NET1 co-founder. NET1 being the guys who used to pay Social grants to on behalf of the South African Government. Super interesting, but when you build you house on someone else's property and you don't follow the rules then only you are to blame.

Interesting indeed :

https://www.engineeringnews.co.za/a...id-19-social-relief-grant-campaign-2020-05-11