Facebook CEO slams govt over surveillance

Bern

Expert Member
Rich coming from him! Maybe he is just upset they didn't pay for the data like all the others who Facebook provides your data to:p

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
Zuckerberg really must not even try to climb on this bandwagon. Without intervention from lawmakers Facebook would have found a way of owning people's souls by now.

With Facebook the price of freedom is eternal vigilance. Facebook practically provided the precedent for blanket surveillance. I disable every feature that I feel can compromise my privacy and still that site leaves me with the feeling that I'm being aggressively spied upon. Only problem is. They've plugged themselves straight into the heart of online society.

ngwe23

Executive Member
Zuckerberg really must not even try to climb on this bandwagon. Without intervention from lawmakers Facebook would have found a way of owning people's souls by now.

With Facebook the price of freedom is eternal vigilance. Facebook practically provided the precedent for blanket surveillance. I disable every feature that I feel can compromise my privacy and still that site leaves me with the feeling that I'm being aggressively spied upon. Only problem is. They've plugged themselves straight into the heart of online society.

What a stupid comment. You joined Facebook out of your own accord and Facebook doesn't spy on you. What ever data that they have about you was voluntary given over. You may not like the way that the data is used but that is immaterial. And if you don't like how they use your data then quit, or at the very least do not give them your data

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
What a stupid comment. You joined Facebook out of your own accord and Facebook doesn't spy on you. What ever data that they have about you was voluntary given over. You may not like the way that the data is used but that is immaterial. And if you don't like how they use your data then quit, or at the very least do not give them your data

I was there from the very start. If they wanted to spy on who I was poking I would hardly have cared. But things have changed. Rather insidiously at times. Facebook is not evil per se, but it certainly is a glutton for information. Now they share a progressively more immense amount of information with more and more interested parties. As long as the money is right then no problem. If you do not specifically prevent it. You assume that I use Facebook a lot. I don't. I don't share much at all. I have taken every measure possible to minimize sharing on Facebook. Reading through Facebook legal notices line by line at time. It's subtle things that put me off it. Second guessing who my friends are, being targeted by adds based on what my friends like and vice versa, installations of Facebook on smart phones that you cannot uninstall and when you actually log in then it becomes utterly bothersome. And so many more, but those are some of my favourites.

I'm an IT guy. Somebody like my pops has zero idea of what Facebook is and what to do about it. Of course ignorance is bliss.

The final point is that I find it bizarre that Zuckerberg is oh deary so terribly outraged by the NSA. He's cut from the same cloth. DARPA invented the internet... Doesn't that imply by your argument that an American intelligence agency has the right to monitor online activities?

Last edited:

icyrus

Executive Member

Not true, Facebook gathers info on users and non users alike.

As others have said, I think Zuckerberg is a hypocrite in this.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master

Facebook is the biggest honeypot out there.

It does sound like he is just flapping his jaws.