Facebook for Android to get a lot faster with an upcoming major update

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Well, it looks like the policy of stimulating its employees to adopt Android smartphones has yielded results for Facebook. An update for the social network’s Android app scheduled for later today, is bound to significantly increase its speed and overall performance.

In order to achieve the above result, Facebook’s app developers have done away with HTML 5 coding. Instead, they have used native code to speed up loading of images and browsing through the News Feed.

The update will also bring to Facebook for Android some features, which were previously available only on the iOS app. The most notable among those is the “new story” banner. Naturally, a slew of other, not so visible, improvements such as improved memory efficiency and a new custom scrolling engine have also been added to the popular app.

Source

For those who care :whistling:

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The app on Android is so bad that I think most people rather use Facebook through the Android browser.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The app on Android is so bad that I think most people rather use Facebook through the Android browser.

It's always been fine for me. It could be a bit sluggish at times, but I never gave it much thought.

K

kingrob

So now you'll be able to read a lot of crap, that you couldn't give a flying faak about, even faster than before?

Do people still use facebook?

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Facebook via Opera Mini is the only way for me. I have lost interest in this app long ago.

michellej

Expert Member
update has made a HUGE difference my facebook in past took minutes to open it now opens immediately..... very happy

Crowley

Executive Member
Download and try the new app. It is much faster than the previous one.

Budza

Executive Member
Absolutely ridiculous that it's taken them so long to sort this out.

I'll give it a go shortly- prior to this, it's been friendcaster or facebook via browser. Friendcaster was uninstalled as the notifications managed to unlock my screen, bypassing the pattern unlock :erm:

Tygerr

Oh nice. That's much better. Can't believe it took them that long to sort this out.

Viva

Expert Member
Don't really notice any difference. My Facebook has always been pretty quick.

The difference is more noticeable on lower end devices. The old Facebook app was way too slow on my older phone, yet it performed ok on my Nexus 7.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
The difference is more noticeable on lower end devices. The old Facebook app was way too slow on my older phone, yet it performed ok on my Nexus 7.

Suppose that makes sense. Running JB ROM on my S2 and everything is quick on it :D

Syphonx

Expert Member
Tried it, deleted it. It seems Facebook still want to force their top stories crap on us instead of just latest post first, so I went back to friendcaster.