Facebook hit by global outage - WhatsApp, Instagram, and Facebook offline

CorneliusCenturion

WOW, a lot of people were forced to actually do their work instead of having pointless religious or political debates on Facebook.

EwwPfiPXEAAldiP.jpg

Syphonx

Expert Member
It was pretty funny, we had so many calls coming in "my internet is down" & "I restarted my phone and no internet" thereafter I told them, please open google.com and do a search and "thanks, it's working now, I'll wait for FB etc." :sneaky:
Told them it's down in South Africa too, they said, OH! Africa too :rolleyes:. Glad shift is over tonight. :X3:

Totally screwed some of our KPIs meh.
People are ****ing stupid. This is the equivalent of the light going off in your room and calling the municipality to report that you have no power, while the light from the kitchen casts shadows in your room.

• Haha
Reactions: Yuu

dualmeister

Honorary Master
To be very honest, I do not give as flying fcuck for Face Book...these fcukers try to force us how to think i.e. when to put a condom on when not, what to believe and what not and all of that controlled behind offices by people who live in a 'fools paradise'...
Your rant says otherwise :ROFL:

Botha22

To be very honest, I do not give as flying fcuck for Face Book...these fcukers try to force us how to think i.e. when to put a condom on when not, what to believe and what not and all of that controlled behind offices by people who live in a 'fools paradise'...

If they went down permanently, I, for one, would have a street party for one week. They act as if they are a new God. I wonder if they have any idea on whose stoop they are playing on, and it NOT AVBOB's stoop either.

They need to go...finish en klaar
Or you could simply stop using them.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
these fcukers try to force us how to think i.e. when to put a condom on when not, what to believe and what not and all of that controlled behind offices by people who live in a 'fools paradise'...
If you feel facebook's more than a glorified photo album and twitter feed then you might need to look inward first - you're part of that market segment that's vulnerable to external manipulation :ROFL:

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Well, now the hackers are aware of FB's single point of failure, so they'll probably be focusing attacks on that now.
There will always be some single point of failure which is hard to protect against. Even if they were to move their DNS servers to be completely separate from their ASN, another issue on BGP would cause the same problem.
DNS would probably work, but if the BGP problem effected their core network then you ain't going to reach anything.

Config issues on BFP is the problem. The human is the single point of failure.

Reactions: Yuu

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
WOW, a lot of people were forced to actually do their work instead of having pointless religious or political debates on Facebook.
A lot of companies block FB on their corporate networks in any event. I WFH, but during office hours my machine is connected to my work network via VPN so I can't access social media at all.

My work blocks FB, Twitter, Insta and YouTube during office hours.

neoprema

Executive Member
Forward packets.. like DHL. When he started talking about routing I tuned out. DIY has never been my thing.
The crux of the matter is they broke a setting which tells the Internet how to find their servers. So the internet (collectively all the routers that move traffic around) just stopped finding them and - bye-bye Facebook & related services.

Then they couldn't get back into their offices as it seems they've linked their physical access control to their online databases which - given the above- were not accessible.

It was just a real stuff-up for them unfortunately. But it seems somewhere along the line they fixed it by re-advertising their network to the Internet so other routers (and thus the people using them) could find their servers again.

Think of it like this:
You live in 34 Bloggs Rd, Centerville. If someone wants to find you, they can look at a map and see where Centerville is. Then once in Centerville they can look for Bloggs Rd and then look for No 34.

Now imagine asking all the maps to remove the name Centerville because of a mistake. It doesn't matter what anyone anywhere else has, if they try to find you on a map you're just not there - hence they can't come to you to interact with you.
Physically your suburb is still there, but logically you're not findable because no one can see how to get to you on a map or through navigation.

So you tell the map companies please put our name back and re-publish a map update to everyone. And slowly as they all get the update map and can see where Centerville is, they can find your house and come to you.