Facebook launches video calls and group chat

McT

The Humble Scot!
Nothing like a bit of competition to rush out the new launches ... fail. No doubt Google+ is going to ruffle their feathers big time.

vzta22

So the big MS is now in bed with facebook? I see exciting things happening, but Google+ seems to be coming out with a bang! I'll definitely try it.

Best move to use skype for video calls instead of developing its own application. Facebook should also consider moving its crappy IM to the skype platform! It has failed miserably in providing IM service. I'm doubting if the group chat will succeed where a one on one chat has failed.

Last edited:

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Nothing like a bit of competition to rush out the new launches ... fail. No doubt Google+ is going to ruffle their feathers big time.
Not sure hey, many people are set in their ways, and not very open to change. The difference between Myspace vs. Facebook and Facebook vs. Google+ is that everybody uses Facebook, including moms and pops. Switching to Google+ means having to create and customise an entirely new profile (think pics and videos) and add/invite people all over again, and not many people may be willing to perform the necessary admin.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
I think I will become a friend of Competition on both FB and Google+

Big Sub-Zero

I think I will become a friend of Competition on both FB and Google+
What is with this early desperation, Google+ will leave the young boy Mark Zuckerberg and his team with soiled draws. Google is unstoppable. David and Goliath sequel to hit the stores soon…

nelwa

Expert Member
I've tried G+, it's got a long way to go before it can even be considered a facebook competitor, but it has some nice approaches...

devilfp

Yeah, hopefully! But now Facebook has the only working video call option!

FrankCastle

Executive Member
This seems to be the best Google feature thus far according to the press:

"Hangouts is the killer feature of Google+. It is the best group video chat I have ever seen. You can chat, or if you want to call it video teleconferencing, with up to 10 people at a time. Families and businesses are going to love this feature. It is superior to the new one-to-one Facebook video chat feature introduced by Mark Zuckerberg this morning."

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Everyone seems to think Google+ will just start kicking ass left and right. There's no way that'll happen, not in the next few years anyway.

Even if there was massive uptake with Google+ the succeeding momentum shift behind Facebook will mean that for a long time most users will have to use both since -obviously- the two competing companies aren't just going to allow sharing data that'll make the switch easier. I truly hope I'm wrong about this and that someone will be allowed to create a middle-tier that allows people to change over, but since Facebook "owns" your information I don't see this happening. It would be interesting to hear from someone who knows more about this.

Simply put, I think most people will stop caring about their second Social Network profile if it doesn't provide something monumentally more awesome. There's also not THAT much being offered by Google+ at this point that Facebook can't try to match with their own offering (like easier management of "Circles", video chat etc. I actually hope the "circle" feature behind Google+ forces Facebook to respond since recently with all the issues behind public and private information in terms of finding/keeping/losing your job it's becoming something I really want, and I simply can't be bothered with the effort that goes in behind the archaic design of Facebook groups.

Also remember that a lot of people have simply put in years of work into their Facebook profiles. Just the history of stuff happening on your Facebook profile alone makes it a bit "sad" to just move to something else and start from scratch. People tend to invest -heavy- emotionally into something if they've spend years "building" it.

Although, many (like me, and a lot of the tech-minded people here on MyBB) might see this as a nice fresh start, but remember that most people on Facebook are much older than the demographic on things like Myspace etc.
Older, less tech-minded people don't care as much about "the new cool thing right now" as some of the younger crowd does (I mean seriously, those of us who have parents etc. on Facebook, do you really think they give a horses ass about Google+, they just want to be on Facebook 'cause everyone's there). Also, a social networking site's usefulness is directly correlated with the amount of people you know using it so even if you did like Google+ more, you'll end up an inferior experience if the masses out there don't share your enthusiasm to change over.

Facebook has started a trend that has millions of people spending hours each day on the site, even if just to check now and again what's going on... People's addiction to this trend is not going to change and having a second, seperate Social Network will simply dilute the experience and the lesser one will lose out eventually.

The pro Google crowd mustn't forget about a little thing called Google Wave that was also supposed to "revolutionize" email. It also had some truly great features when it came out, with a lot of hype, but Wave was a massive failure. So yeah, not everything they touch turns to Gold. Google Wave also didn't try to compete directly with something like email like Google+ is trying to compete with Facebook, it was more of an "email 2.0 upgrade" for people who were interested and found the idea useful.
Remember that even Tech companies who have something good to offer people tend to fail sometimes... Google is going up against a giant that has billions of followers where a lot of them will be hesitant to change.

I'll be surprised if in a year or two we still "hype" about Google+.... and if we do, they're ****ing brilliant.
The ball is now very much in Facebook's court. There's been a lot of controversy about the site in the last few months, but even so, most users simply don't care. It'll take a massive screw-up by Facebook to disillusion most their current user base.

If they play this whole Skype integration thing right, Google+ is going to have one hell of a steep mountain climb only to find that the flag they're planting is followed by someone who's got everything to build a mansion there.

But let's see what happens, it all makes for an interesting behavioural experiment.

Last edited:

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Everyone seems to think Google+ will just start kicking ass left and right. There's no way that'll happen, not in the next few years anyway.

Even if there was massive uptake with Google+ the succeeding momentum shift behind Facebook will mean that for a long time most users will have to use both since -obviously- the two competing companies aren't just going to allow sharing data that'll make the switch easier. I truly hope I'm wrong about this and that someone will be allowed to create a middle-tier that allows people to change over, but since Facebook "owns" your information I don't see this happening. It would be interesting to hear from someone who knows more about this.

Simply put, I think most people will stop caring about their second Social Network profile if it doesn't provide something monumentally more awesome. There's also not THAT much being offered by Google+ at this point that Facebook can't try to match with their own offering (like easier management of "Circles", video chat etc. I actually hope the "circle" feature behind Google+ forces Facebook to respond since recently with all the issues behind public and private information in terms of finding/keeping/losing your job it's becoming something I really want, and I simply can't be bothered with the effort that goes in behind the archaic design of Facebook groups.

Also remember that a lot of people have simply put in years of work into their Facebook profiles. Just the history of stuff happening on your Facebook profile alone makes it a bit "sad" to just move to something else and start from scratch. People tend to invest -heavy- emotionally into something if they've spend years "building" it.

Although, many (like me, and a lot of the tech-minded people here on MyBB) might see this as a nice fresh start, but remember that most people on Facebook are much older than the demographic on things like Myspace etc.
Older, less tech-minded people don't care as much about "the new cool thing right now" as some of the younger crowd does (I mean seriously, those of us who have parents etc. on Facebook, do you really think they give a horses ass about Google+, they just want to be on Facebook 'cause everyone's there). Also, a social networking site's usefulness is directly correlated with the amount of people you know using it so even if you did like Google+ more, you'll end up an inferior experience if the masses out there don't share your enthusiasm to change over.

Facebook has started a trend that has millions of people spending hours each day on the site, even if just to check now and again what's going on... People's addiction to this trend is not going to change and having a second, seperate Social Network will simply dilute the experience and the lesser one will lose out eventually.

The pro Google crowd mustn't forget about a little thing called Google Wave that was also supposed to "revolutionize" email. It also had some truly great features when it came out, with a lot of hype, but Wave was a massive failure. So yeah, not everything they touch turns to Gold. Google Wave also didn't try to compete directly with something like email like Google+ is trying to compete with Facebook, it was more of an "email 2.0 upgrade" for people who were interested and found the idea useful.
Remember that even Tech companies who have something good to offer people tend to fail sometimes... Google is going up against a giant that has billions of followers where a lot of them will be hesitant to change.

I'll be surprised if in a year or two we still "hype" about Google+.... and if we do, they're ****ing brilliant.
The ball is now very much in Facebook's court. There's been a lot of controversy about the site in the last few months, but even so, most users simply don't care. It'll take a massive screw-up by Facebook to disillusion most their current user base.

If they play this whole Skype integration thing right, Google+ is going to have one hell of a steep mountain climb only to find that the flag they're planting is followed by someone who's got everything to build a mansion there.

But let's see what happens, it all makes for an interesting behavioural experiment.
Enough reason to make you want to switch. Facebook has no controls and too much rubbish is being posted.