Facebook Stories could end up driving younger users away instead of attracting them

Kevin Lancaster

MyBroadband Editor
Facebook Stories could end up driving younger users away instead of attracting them

If you use Facebook’s mobile app, you may have recently noticed the sudden appearance of circles at the very top of the display. The social media giant has previously tried pushing this “Stories” feature into three of its other products: Messenger, WhatsApp and Instagram. This point wasn’t lost on many internet users, who quickly began sharing memes mocking Facebook’s addition of Stories to everything.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I had people posting their "stories" but they were all accidental vids of people not knowing what the heck they were doing! :crylaugh:
It's hilarious!

Oppiekoffie

Expert Member
Who the hell would want to go there anyway? It was something new from 2006 until about 4 years ago. Now everyone had enough of it. I see there is less activity over the last couple of years. People had enough of FB?

D3nz

Honorary Master
I had people posting their "stories" but they were all accidental vids of people not knowing what the heck they were doing! :crylaugh:
It's hilarious!
God yes! I am so afraid of accidentally clicking on those silly circles at the top.

Nirv

Sorry what? I don't see any of this on WhatsApp or FB.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
I still don't understand what Facebook Stories is about. There's a reason I'm not on Instagram....

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Update the app.

However, delete it rather. Facebook lowers your IQ.
Facebook is great for keeping in touch with extended circles though and keeping tabs on those people, which can be mildly interesting. It's also a good platform for updating friends and family with special events. I like Facebook, but I check it less than once a day on average and have configured the service over time to not show posts from certain people.

I still don't understand what Facebook Stories is about. There's a reason I'm not on Instagram....
I also don't know anything about Stories, and don't care enough to Google it. I've never been able to get into Instagram either. It's 50% cheesy, filtered & inane photos, 40% selfies and 10% paid advertising. The few professional photographers I know, who post beautiful shots that I don't mind checking out, post on Facebook.

As for Snapchat - how the heck does it even work. Uninstalled after a few minutes of fumbling around. The default screen is my camera's live view ffs.

Thor

Honorary Master
Facebook is great for keeping in touch with extended circles though and keeping tabs on those people, which can be mildly interesting. It's also a good platform for updating friends and family with special events. I like Facebook, but I check it less than once a day on average and have configured the service over time to not show posts from certain people.

I also don't know anything about Stories, and don't care enough to Google it. I've never been able to get into Instagram either. It's 50% cheesy, filtered & inane photos, 40% selfies and 10% paid advertising. The few professional photographers I know, who post beautiful shots that I don't mind checking out, post on Facebook.

As for Snapchat - how the heck does it even work. Uninstalled after a few minutes of fumbling around. The default screen is my camera's live view ffs.
I use email and Twitter for that.

Facebook feels fabricated to me.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I use email and Twitter for that.

Facebook feels fabricated to me.
Twitter isn't used for the same types of communications though from my experience. If someone's getting married or on a trip overseas, they post on Facebook.

There are countless people for whom I hold a mild degree of interest in, but not enough to maintain regular email communication. Old school friends, people I'm friendly with in certain environments, family I'm not especially close to etc. It's nice being able to throw a quick comment without too much commitment to the ongoings in their lives. Especially for birthdays. One of the best things about Facebook is birthdays. Reminds me about them and makes it super easy to wish.

Thor

Honorary Master
Twitter isn't used for the same types of communications though from my experience. If someone's getting married or on a trip overseas, they post on Facebook.

There are countless people for whom I hold a mild degree of interest in, but not enough to maintain regular email communication. Old school friends, people I'm friendly with in certain environments, family I'm not especially close to etc. It's nice being able to throw a quick comment without too much commitment to the ongoings in their lives. Especially for birthdays. One of the best things about Facebook is birthdays. Reminds me about them and makes it super easy to wish.
I definitely get the appeal.

I'm just wired differently when it comes to people and "keeping in touch".

Knyro

PhD in Everything

TL;DR Bryn is too old for this new fangled Instachat nonsense popular with the young'uns.

C4Cat

Honorary Master
I've never been able to get into Instagram either. It's 50% cheesy, filtered & inane photos, 40% selfies and 10% paid advertising. The few professional photographers I know, who post beautiful shots that I don't mind checking out, post on Facebook.
I don't use Facebook but I do use Instagram and twitter. Instagram mostly for following people who are artists or crafts people. There is some really incredible talent out there. I use twitter for news and current affairs

FiestaST

Honorary Master
In my view Facebook; Twitter & Instagram all serve a purpose & there is generally no overlap. They can all appeal to a particular person.

Snapchat on the other hand...I don't see the purpose of it at all.