Facebook to launch Clear History privacy tool this year

stroebs

Expert Member
Now give us the ability to wipe our own Facebook history. I wouldn't have deleted my Facebook account if there was the possibility of deleting all prior history including photos, posts, likes, shares, etc. but keeping your friends list.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Now give us the ability to wipe our own Facebook history. I wouldn't have deleted my Facebook account if there was the possibility of deleting all prior history including photos, posts, likes, shares, etc. but keeping your friends list.
You cant delete your FB account. Only deactivate. Its all still there.

stroebs

Expert Member
You cant delete your FB account. Only deactivate. Its all still there.
From a backend perspective, they can't actually delete your data. It's replicated too many times across their infrastructure. You *can* in fact delete your account (per changes they had to introduce because of GDPR) and the way it's done is that they simply delete the private key that's used to encrypt your data so it can no longer be decrypted.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
From a backend perspective, they can't actually delete your data.
That doesnt make sense. Of course they can delete the data.

You *can* in fact delete your account (per changes they had to introduce because of GDPR) and the way it's done is that they simply delete the private key that's used to encrypt your data so it can no longer be decrypted.
Where is the "delete account" option?

EDIT: nvm, found it. You need to contact FB to delete.

stroebs

Expert Member
That doesnt make sense. Of course they can delete the data.
From a narrow-minded perspective, sure you can delete any data. Deleting it from a system perspective like deleting it in Windows only marks a file as deleted but doesn't erase it on disk, unless you specifically go and zero-write those bytes, for example.

In terms of deleting a profile - especially one that's 10 years old, you're looking at millions of data entries for your profile all over the world including years of backup archives your data is present in. It would simply be so computationally expensive to delete a single profile's data that it's considered nearly impossible. Now consider how many people want to actually delete their profiles - it's just not something Facebook can do. It's like trying to find a needle in 100 haystacks of needles.

Their method of just deleting the encryption keys is a far simpler method as they have a KMS that manages those keys. Delete it from the KMS and your data is as good as gone.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
From a narrow-minded perspective, sure you can delete any data. Deleting it from a system perspective like deleting it in Windows only marks a file as deleted but doesn't erase it on disk, unless you specifically go and zero-write those bytes, for example.
Google is doing it with Google+ Profiles.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma

In terms of deleting a profile - especially one that's 10 years old, you're looking at millions of data entries for your profile all over the world including years of backup archives your data is present in. It would simply be so computationally expensive to delete a single profile's data that it's considered nearly impossible. Now consider how many people want to actually delete their profiles - it's just not something Facebook can do. It's like trying to find a needle in 100 haystacks of needles.

Their method of just deleting the encryption keys is a far simpler method as they have a KMS that manages those keys. Delete it from the KMS and your data is as good as gone.
Update, you cant delete your account. They only work out how to delete your stuff after you die.

2019-03-18_13-25.png

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
i have not being on fbook since 2017 and i do not miss the dead puppies and kittens posts and whatever else people post there.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
i have not being on fbook since 2017 and i do not miss the dead puppies and kittens posts and whatever else people post there.
I spent a real lot of time unfollowing the many many many groups I had followed, once you mute and unfollow... most things... it gets a little better. No more dead puppies. You really need high filter levels when working through it.

Crowley

Executive Member
If it wasn't for fb I would forget half my family's birthdays. Also, the best stalking tool since binoculars and a tall tree.

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
I spent a real lot of time unfollowing the many many many groups I had followed, once you mute and unfollow... most things... it gets a little better. No more dead puppies. You really need high filter levels when working through it.
totally agree.
my GF broke up with me on the day i was about to propose :oops:
Hectic, never saw that coming.
Tsek FBook :)