Facebook under pressure to remove racist page

DJ...

Banned
Good lawd, could you imagine the uproar over some of the nonsense that people post on Facebook in this country?! :eek:

I must admit, in my travels around the world, the Aussies are the most racist group I have come across. Not in general terms, but against the aborigines. I hear it is a very isolated thing to the Perth area though...

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
how come they need a public outcry and international pressure to close down a racist page, but my anti-mike sutcliffe page was deleted after a few months and i got a warning email?

clearly facebook has its priorities all wrong.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Seriously?

Ppl give two tosses about whats on Facebook?

d0b33

Honorary Master
I must admit, in my travels around the world, the Aussies are the most racist group I have come across. Not in general terms, but against the aborigines.
Yea it's seems ingrained... they just can't shake it off.

DJ...

Banned
In fairness, I've been chatting to many of these guys here in Singapore, where there are Aussies abound. It seems they have very legitimate reasons for taking issues with the aborigines in certain areas. Obviously I'm only hearing one side, but the argument is that they simply do not want to work, whatsoever. It is not in their culture, for the most part. So they rely heavily on welfare. And because many are incredibly poor, they have a tendency to drink their lives away, because the Aussie government provide them with a bed and toilet facilities when they pass out. Seriously - apparently they have a service setup specifically for the aborigines to collect them when they're drunk and house them for the night. So they intentionally get pissed for this reason. Apparently the racism works both ways too. Bloke last night told me that his sister has a huge scar on her face because of one aborigine who ran across the street and smashed a glass bottle over her face, because she was in his area.

Obviously this is just one side of the story here, but this was one of the more conservative Aussies who didn't strike me as racist. He agrees that the racism is ridiculous, but just wanted to explain why some people are the way they are, and why this is going on. So it seems it's far too easy to stand on the sidelines commenting about how racist the Aussies are, when in fact there is probably far more to the story that we simply never hear...

ToxicBunny

In some ways its probably similar to this country....

Yes, there are people who are racist purely for the sake of being racist, but there are people around who have reasons to be racist even when they really don't actually want to be.

There is always alot more to a story like this than purely what one sees on the surface unfortunately. Different cultures can integrate, but there will always be elements that don't integrate so nicely.

DJ...

Banned
English teaching? No English teaching for me, thanks...

ToxicBunny

Not entirely sure DJ could teach English if he tried.... ever since he moved up to Gauteng, spends to much time with the Afrikaners now :p

DJ...

Banned
Not entirely sure DJ could teach English if he tried.... ever since he moved up to Gauteng, spends to much time with the Afrikaners now :p

They only serve to provide me with more conviction. I just don't have the patience to teach kids, as has been evidenced on numerous occasions on this site...:D