Facial recognition only on the iPhone X was a rubbish idea

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Jobs would never allowed this, mainly on the grounds that the tech in the Face Scanner eats into the margins

Randux

Expert Member
The worst thing about this phone is the notch because now the Chinese manufacturers are copying it. This nonsense is spreading.

And in Apple’s defence, I would have bought an iPhone X if it authenticated my identity by having me cut a piece of my hair off and place it into the Lightning port (I like Apple devices).
lol

OneKnight

They filled a need where there was none with the facial recognition, methinks.

You have to hold the phone in your hand in any case, so putting your thumb on a fingerprint reader on the phone to unlock it, does not require any additional effort.

Unless developers come up with something that requires the use of the depth camera and interests the masses and techies alike, it might go the same way that the Kinect did.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Isn't exactly what sajunky reported?
•The phone is at an angle
If your iPhone X is on your desk at work, you can’t unlock it without picking it up and holding it in front of your face or moving your head to where the device is placed and ensuring your face is perpendicular to the screen.

This means if the phone is 10cm from your hand, but at a 45-degree angle to your face, you cannot see home screen notifications or access any apps without using your passcode or moving the phone.
I had been vigilantly attacked by multiple robots after passing the same from my source.

crackersa

Honorary Master
like what?

the radio?
the tires?
the rims?
the navigation?
the seat warmers?
the electronic seat memory?
Re and front defoggers?
the satellite radio?
the automatic sun roof?
the auto diming review mirror?
the automatic headlights?
the automatic rain sensor
the central locking system?
the remote start system?
the fact that it's an SUV shape?
the 1.4 L turbo engine?

help me here....which part of my car's tech is 100 years old?

biometrics

Honorary Master
like what?

the radio?
the tires?
the rims?
the navigation?
the seat warmers?
the electronic seat memory?
Re and front defoggers?
the satellite radio?
the automatic sun roof?
the auto diming review mirror?
the automatic headlights?
the automatic rain sensor
the central locking system?
the remote start system?
the fact that it's an SUV shape?
the 1.4 L turbo engine?

help me here....which part of my car's tech is 100 years old?
Most of the car.

crackersa

Honorary Master

no it's not. the idea of the car is well over a 100 years old, but through TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCES, today's car is nothing like the car of yesteryear. just like the headphone jack is of yesteryear listening devices, it is not needed anymore through the technological advances of today.

adamr

Executive Member
So been using the phone X since launch ... And honestly ...

I prefer my 7 plus that I sold. While facial recognition works ... There is at least two occasions in a day when I need to use the pin code. And that's twice too many times ...

Battery ain't that fab. Ask me in real use if I notice a massive difference in my experience between the 7 plus screen and this new all great Oled screen and it's a resounding no. The notch still messes up lots of apps etc

while this phone might have been a step forward in tech. Once the hype dies down the user experience imo went backwards

biometrics

Honorary Master
no it's not. the idea of the car is well over a 100 years old, but through TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCES, today's car is nothing like the car of yesteryear. just like the headphone jack is of yesteryear listening devices, it is not needed anymore through the technological advances of today.
Actually it's a lot like cars from yesteryear. Not much of the basics have changed.

The headphone jack is still useful. Feel free to buy phones without it though.