Fair benchmarking sheds some light on Telkom’s ADSL pricing

ROFL.. sorry.. you just have to laugh else the reality of the situation will mean too many people taking hostages..

take a hostage and die

take a hostage and die.

yah die waiting for Telkom and gov to negotiate a globally competitive price that requires no lube.

Paris reads the article. Thinks for a while and replies "There is no evidence that ADSL is expensive in this country."

Next thing he knows is that Papi has deposited R2m into his account.

That article just highlights how sad it is that ppl who run the country love to enrich themselves at the expensive of growth and cost of doing business in this country.

When benchmarking cost, speed and usage allowances the situation for Telkom looks even worse.

Here Morocco becomes the most affordable among the benchmarked countries with a price of R 0.73 per GB/Mbps. Australia comes in second with R 0.77 and the UK third with R 1.21.

Telkom’s cost per GB/Mbps is R 72.08, in the region of 7000% more expensive that the three other countries.

*sigh*

It is shocking... and they don't want us to compare their prices with other countries? Sis, skande!!!

The benchmarking from a customer pricing perspective obviously shows that we're being screwed.

However (not to fart in the wind, again), the picture is not complete until we understand benchmarking from a provider cost perspective, as this would give real insights into margins and just how much Telkom should reduce pricing by, as well as eliminating any debate around "apples vs apples" comparison.

Probably impossible to do, but worth pondering over?

Will someone please "leak to the press" that Paris is taking bribes. Does not matter if it is true or not. At least he might get fired.... after being on paid leave for 6 years of course. So all and all we would be doing him a favour.

Great article MyAdsl

What is more shocking is that despite the piles of evidence, nobody has ever got stuck into Telkom's books to investigate this extortion.

Thabo Mbeki is a windbag and when it comes to telecoms nobody listens to him anyway, his pals like uncle Smuts are making to much money for anyone to be able to effectively ruffle feathers.

Effectively it is still cheaper to fly to Hong Kong and back to get your data than use local TELKOM ADSL.

It's a disgrace:mad:

F&@K, this just makes me want to jump ship!

For me as a Technology professional I can’t believe that this is going on. This is just blatant corruption in its purest form.

How can our Government condone this?

F&@K again!

one of the best articles i have read on myadsl, kudos guys!

You know something - us Technology people need to learn a thing or 2 from the black people.

I don't at all wish to subject this to rationalism but them as a people stand up and fight the government.
all we do is sit and whine and send them letters....not going to help at all people! ---- if we want action lets make a join effort and show them in people power! not continual bantering on forums ..which I can almost assure you no official in ICASA ...TELKOM and so on ..probably even know how to get into.

people power is a strong motivator..not words and Newspapers.

:mad:

What is more shocking is that despite the piles of evidence, nobody has ever got stuck into Telkom's books to investigate this extortion.

Telkom was supposed to provide their management accounts to ICASA for exactly this purpose after the ADSL hearings last year. As I recall, the Suits Telkom sent to the hearings couldn't answer the questions put to them by ICASA and Telkom had a month to supply the numbers. What happened to that? Surely Telkom has either provided the management accounts, or must be considered in violation of the ECA?

rpm, can you guys find out?

another good article, cutting to the core of the matter. Good work, RPM.

Paris reads the article. Thinks for a while and replies "There is no evidence that ADSL is expensive in this country."

There is also no evidence that Paris actually thinks!

Doesn't matter who said what where.Telkom is expensive , thats it! Telkom is the problem child in this country. :mad:

lol, fantastic article. It's enough to make a grown man cry.

Telkom was supposed to provide their management accounts to ICASA for exactly this purpose after the ADSL hearings last year. As I recall, the Suits Telkom sent to the hearings couldn't answer the questions put to them by ICASA and Telkom had a month to supply the numbers. What happened to that? Surely Telkom has either provided the management accounts, or must be considered in violation of the ECA?

rpm, can you guys find out?

Presumably when Paris said there was no evidence that ADSL was too expensive, he meant that Telkom never gave them any. ICASA seem to think Telkom will start to feel guilty and reform, becoming responsible corporate citizens all on their own. Court action? God forbid!

great article - I wish the papers would publish it, or maybe it should be sent to you/huisgenoot :)

If I sent it to my friends overseas I'm sure they will can themselves laughing!!

Back