Fair Disclosure - Company Employees on the Forum

AntiGanda

Banned
I've been having problems with an ADSL account and was advised to come on the forums to see if anyone else had the same experience.

I was surprised to see a mix of people with some saying their accounts are just fine. Most of the rest seem to have the same trouble as I have. It seemed odd to have such a contrast of experience.

Now I read in another forum, one of the guys constantly telling us everything is fine is actually an employee of that ISP.

Now surely we have to go back and see if that user was simply promoting his company by not reporting problems and trying to limit the impact.

I believe this is not Kosher, and if you work for a major ISP and are involved in a thread where your company is involved, you should disclose that fact. Furthermore, if someone asks you directly if you are an employee or have an involvement (now or in the past), you should answer honestly and openly.

Taking this further, what if the member becomes a moderator for feedback about his own company?!

If you disagree, please put forward your arguments.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I don't necessarily disagree with your point of view... but this is an anonymous forum to a large degree...

If I as an employee of a company chose NOT to disclose that fact, it is my right to do so... Even if I lie about things etc.... There is no onus on anyone in this forum to be truthful in the slightest, its just generally expected from the large majority of users.

In terms of your issue, it is entirely normal for a segment of the userbase to have issues and another segment to have no issues what so ever. An internet connection is a monstrously complex thing.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I agree as it is simple ethics, good (within best practice) marketing on the other hand can be openly pursued.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
Now surely we have to go back and see if that user was simply promoting his company by not reporting problems and trying to limit the impact.
It entirely is a factual context based determination.

You appear to be suggesting that employees of a specific company are unable to be critical about the company. This is absolute nonsense and the contrary is usually true and disgruntled former employees pose a particular opportunity for companies to be slagged off. A financial interest in the success of a business is a far greater consideration - and those of us who have a financial interest in a businesses success and believe in ethical conduct (which to the best of my knowledge is the case with every single moderator on this forum) make such disclosure of interest when applicable. The question is not whether a person has a connection to something on which they are commenting but rather whether there is scope for a conflict of interest and at this point an ethical person makes a disclosure whenever possible - and sometimes it is complicated in how the disclosure is made. In particular the large companies in this industry prohibit their staff from speaking about the company as identifiably staff of that company and consequently expecting a disclosure from such an individual is entirely unreasonable.

I am strongly suspicious that your complaint concerns Telkom Internet in which case the allegations you are hoping will be inferred are not only unfounded but are at the point of being vexatious and dismissable with contempt. The discussion has involved many people who have different perspectives on the matter and the moderator who you are seeking to cast aspersions on is not in any shape or form a spokesperson for Telkom and has been one of the most critical (in the proper sense as in has presented informed and sustained criticism rather than has been a whiny ignoramus). Moreover almost all of the critics on this forum have been similarly inclined.

Finally you appear to equate a person working for a particular division of a particular company as being equal to the person working for a materially separated entity.

I am not affiliated to Telkom Internet - on the contrary they are a competitor to a company which I serve as a director for. Moreover TI is part of Telkom with whom I have been engaged with in a what could be considered litigious activity. Granted all engagements with Telkom have been handled with great regard for good faith by all parties concerned and there certainly is strong cordial bonds.

Last edited:

AntiGanda

Banned
It entirely is a factual context based determination.

You appear to be suggesting that employees of a specific company are unable to be critical about the company. This is absolute nonsense and the contrary is usually true and disgruntled former employees pose a particular opportunity for companies to be slagged off. A financial interest in the success of a business is a far greater consideration - and those of us who have a financial interest in a businesses success and believe in ethical conduct (which to the best of my knowledge is the case with every single moderator on this forum) make such disclosure of interest when applicable. The question is not whether a person has a connection to something on which they are commenting but rather whether there is scope for a conflict of interest and at this point an ethical person makes a disclosure whenever possible - and sometimes it is complicated in how the disclosure is made. In particular the large companies in this industry prohibit their staff from speaking about the company as identifiably staff of that company and consequently expecting a disclosure from such an individual is entirely unreasonable.

I am strongly suspicious that your complaint concerns Telkom Internet in which case the allegations you are hoping will be inferred are not only unfounded but are at the point of being vexatious and dismissable with contempt. The discussion has involved many people who have different perspectives on the matter and the moderator who you are seeking to cast aspersions on is not in any shape or form a spokesperson for Telkom and has been one of the most critical (in the proper sense as in has presented informed and sustained criticism rather than has been a whiny ignoramus). Moreover almost all of the critics on this forum have been similarly inclined.

Finally you appear to equate a person working for a particular division of a particular company as being equal to the person working for a materially separated entity.

I am not affiliated to Telkom Internet - on the contrary they are a competitor to a company which I serve as a director for. Moreover TI is part of Telkom with whom I have been engaged with in a what could be considered litigious activity. Granted all engagements with Telkom have been handled with great regard for good faith by all parties concerned and there certainly is strong cordial bonds.
I don't have a highfalutin dictionary, so please bear with me if I don't translate your point correctly.

I deliberately didn't mention a name or company, so let's have some respect.

If a person is constantly providing reports that run completely against the trend, they we have to question why. If this is someone hiding their employer in order to discredit bad service and customer feedback, they they need to disclose it. It applies equally to any company or organisation. If they are afraid of blowback from their bosses, then they shouldn't write anything.

If I work for Nike and am constantly dissing Adidas and other competitors on a sports forum, and always talking up the Nike brand, then that is totally unethical in my opinion. Even if he/she isn't so overt in what they say, it still makes sense to tell us what link they have, especially if they are able to delete and edit comments.

Basjohn

Expert Member
It would certainly help people who are looking for GENUINE feedback, I'd say if you message has anything to do with the company involved you either need to disclose your position, OR distance yourself to true anonyminity and give a message from an honest perspective. The later is obviously putting too much faith in people I know.

I myself did this several years back when there was an article about Gardale (and them having the local gmail domain) who I worked for at the time as their JHB well, everything. I did get a call from my boss about my posts oddly enough, but because I was simply discussing the probable strategy of such a move (that it wasn't nefarious - they owned the domain prior to gmail even existing) it was little more than a courtesy call. I am extremely "unanon" however, to the point at yearly Rage's people seem to recognise me from MyBB by nickname........and er, tasteful linux iso collections. So hiding wasn't really an option for me at all.

Though we can't all turn into PR machines for the companies we represent, which is why this would actually be a good thing. Disclose your basic affiliation (even if you want to be semi-anonymous within the company - good luck) and people will know how to take your opinion better.

This all feels idealist though, so while I like the idea, I don't see it happening often.

Last edited:

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
I've been having problems with an ADSL account and was advised to come on the forums to see if anyone else had the same experience.

I was surprised to see a mix of people with some saying their accounts are just fine. Most of the rest seem to have the same trouble as I have. It seemed odd to have such a contrast of experience.

Now I read in another forum, one of the guys constantly telling us everything is fine is actually an employee of that ISP.
Possible...but speculation. I've had cases like that myself, where my account gives full line speed and others can't even load a simple page. There are just too many factors at work & one can't jump to blanket conclusions like that.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I don't necessarily disagree with your point of view... but this is an anonymous forum to a large degree...

If I as an employee of a company chose NOT to disclose that fact, it is my right to do so... Even if I lie about things etc.... There is no onus on anyone in this forum to be truthful in the slightest, its just generally expected from the large majority of users.

In terms of your issue, it is entirely normal for a segment of the userbase to have issues and another segment to have no issues what so ever. An internet connection is a monstrously complex thing.

I agree as it is simple ethics, good (within best practice) marketing on the other hand can be openly pursued.

Unless the person is working EXACTLY in the department related to the issue and contradicting it I don't see how it's of any relevance.

I mean if a person working in accounting for InsertISPhere says that their internet is styling then he isn't any different from any other user saying exactly the same thing.

If however the Radius administrator of InsertISPhere is saying that everything is fine while he knows full well the problem is with people authenticating against his Radius server then that is something else altogether.

Short of people disclosing exactly what they do and who they work for it's a pointless exercise...and that disclosure is never going to (and never should) happen.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Unless the person is working EXACTLY in the department related to the issue and contradicting it I don't see how it's of any relevance.

I mean if a person working in accounting for InsertISPhere says that their internet is styling then he isn't any different from any other user saying exactly the same thing.

If however the Radius administrator of InsertISPhere is saying that everything is fine while he knows full well the problem is with people authenticating against his Radius server then that is something else altogether.

Short of people disclosing exactly what they do and who they work for it's a pointless exercise...and that disclosure is never going to (and never should) happen.

This I completely agree with... and totally a agree that the disclosure is never going to happen and rightly should never happen.

I also think people sometimes forget that an ISP can be a few employees (for a basic account reseller type setup) or it can be a few hundred for those that run and manage their own network.

Sting

Ghost in the Machine
I believe this is not Kosher, and if you work for a major ISP and are involved in a thread where your company is involved, you should disclose that fact. Furthermore, if someone asks you directly if you are an employee or have an involvement (now or in the past), you should answer honestly and openly.
Do you have a boner for ranger? He has pretty much told us that he works for TI and has been honest in his responses on MyBB.

Taking this further, what if the member becomes a moderator for feedback about his own company?!
I think that rpm has been pretty shrewd about appointing objective moderators to the various sub-forums to prevent what you are incorrectly inferring.

Crystal Web

Crystal Web representative
Company Rep
Fair disclosure: I am the MD of Crystal Web, and my internet is styling at the moment.

Last edited:

MickeyD

RIP
Fair disclosure: Other than being a customer I am in no way affiliated with TelkomInternet nor do I own any shares in the legal entity that owns/operates TelkomInternet at this time.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
Fair disclosure: Other than being a customer I am in no way affiliated with TelkomInternet nor do I own any shares in the legal entity that owns/operates TelkomInternet at this time.
Liar

you pay taxes :p

Whether said entity that "owns" Telkom's ass is a diligent shareholder or gives you any value for your financial interest is an entirely different story.
Of course we must ask why the OP has not disclosed his interest in Telkom ...

:D

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

The parasitetatal company.

MickeyD

RIP
Liar

you pay taxes :p

Whether said entity that "owns" Telkom's ass is a diligent shareholder or gives you any value for your financial interest is an entirely different story.
Of course we must ask why the OP has not disclosed his interest in Telkom ...

:D
We all pay taxes.... what does SOC stand for?