Fairly recent atheist - looking for a religion - convince me about yours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
I don't necessarily agree with this. Nihilism is also, often, what happens when one first realises that all the traditional values they've known no longer hold any water. One rejects the religious beliefs they grew up with and for a time there is nothing to replace them. Life is then without objective meaning or purpose, as religion is what always gave one that feeling of meaning and purpose - the idea that you specifically were created by a god, rather than being just a by-product of blind evolutionary process. Ultimately that can lead to the realisation that one does not require belief in the supernatural, that meaning and purpose can be found in the life around you, in the people you care for and love, in nature and work and many other things. You are liberated to actually choose your purpose and find meaning in life for yourself, free of dogma and outdated belief systems. You become responsible for figuring out the ethical consequences of your decisions and to examine your life with rationality and compassion. This is secular humanism. As Victor Frankl put it:
I agree with all that I was just trying to say the only way you wouldn't find meaning in life is if you were going to kill yourself, which would still leave behind some kind of meaning weirdly enough.

Finding meaning in life is built into us.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
The French revolution was secular/anti-religious. You can't blame religion for everything.
So the church and state was doing everything perfectly fine and then out of no where these peasants just decided stuff religion lets go claim France and be head all them religious folks.

Does that make any sense?

Would there have been a revolution at all without religion?
Was this one of the first steps to remove Church from state and create the world we live in today?

rietrot

Honorary Master
So the church and state was doing everything perfectly fine and then out of no where these peasants just decided stuff religion lets go claim France and be head all them religious folks.

Does that make any sense?

Would there have been a revolution at all without religion?
Was this one of the first steps to remove Church from state and create the world we live in today?
So a bunch of liberal "secular humanists" beheads everyone that don't agree with them and you want to make the argument that, they deserved it? Lol.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
So a bunch of liberal "secular humanists" beheads everyone that don't agree with them and you want to make the argument that, they deserved it? Lol.
No that would be dumb just pointing out that it did happen, it took a bit of power away from the church and the world is better today because of it unfortunately the message was ruined by the appalling things they did.

The fact that they were secular doesn't mean they were humanists at all btw and the entire thing would have been avoided if there wasn't religion in the first place living in luxury while the poor starved.

Bobbin

Executive Member
I am pretty sure he is a solipsist

Solipsism is the philosophical idea that only one's mind is sure to exist. As an epistemological position, solipsism holds that knowledge of anything outside one's own mind is unsure; the external world and other minds cannot be known and might not exist outside the mind.
Is it possible to prove anything at all beyond the phrase, "I think therefore I am"?
i.e. can you make a valid and sound set of statements from the above to anything external?

I've tried. But I'm stupid, so I'm keen to see if it is possible :)

Mimen

No that would be dumb just pointing out that it did happen, it took a bit of power away from the church and the world is better today because of it unfortunately the message was ruined by the appalling things they did.

The fact that they were secular doesn't mean they were humanists at all btw and the entire thing would have been avoided if there wasn't religion in the first place living in luxury while the poor starved.
Now that is very well phrased scary turtle! I was sitting here trying to formulate words in order to respond but you nailed it.

Jabulani22

Expert Member
While i cant encourage any other religion than Christianity , i can discourage taking up islam .
The many quotes of destroying unbelievers , beheading them , mutilating them and the taxes imposed by islam on other faiths within their territories prove it is destructive , when coupled with faith sanctioned lying its deceptive too.(tax is called a jizya and the lying is taqiyya)(very interesting to read up on as its outlined in a good amount of detail where i have come across it on the web).

Splinter

Honorary Master
While i cant encourage any other religion than Christianity , i can discourage taking up islam .
The many quotes of destroying unbelievers , beheading them , mutilating them and the taxes imposed by islam on other faiths within their territories prove it is destructive , when coupled with faith sanctioned lying its deceptive too.(tax is called a jizya and the lying is taqiyya)(very interesting to read up on as its outlined in a good amount of detail where i have come across it on the web).
So tell us more about why you encourage the christian faith.

Bobbin

Executive Member
Well for one , a lot of it is misunderstood and it is one of the most "progressive" religions.
The Christian faith is a divided house though. Which version, denomination or sect would you say is representative of true Christianity? Just curious :) Personally I'm not sure of the answer.

Anything from Born Again to Catholicism to JW's to self-proclaimed?

Jabulani22

Expert Member
The Christian faith is a divided house though. Which version, denomination or sect would you say is representative of true Christianity? Just curious :) Personally I'm not sure of the answer.

Anything from Born Again to Catholicism to JW's to self-appointed?
Probably baptists , catholics ceased to be Christianity based when they revered home brewed saints and idols , there are some other strange sects which claim to be Christian but are far from it.
Also not really specific to a particular group , just any group which follows the bible.

Jabulani22

Expert Member
Technically, any group that follows the New Testament.

Old Testament was pre-Jesus....
Follows as in does not ignore either testament , this is where my point of Christianity being the most progressive religion comes from , they do not hide the past but include it to shed light on where the new comes from.

EADC

Executive Member
Probably baptists , catholics ceased to be Christianity based when they revered home brewed saints and idols , there are some other strange sects which claim to be Christian but are far from it.
Also not really specific to a particular group , just any group which follows the bible.
Sorry but who are you to decide who is Christian or not.

Hephaestus

Forging
Probably baptists, Catholics ceased to be Christianity based when they revered home-brewed saints and idols, there are some other strange sects which claim to be Christian but are far from it.
Also, not really specific to a particular group, just any group which follows the bible.
Not to mention that it is all BS anyway

rustypup

There is no Christ in the old testament, unless you're Roman Catholic and get off on the trinity BS.

The Old Testament is rife with rape, baby murder, banning deformed people from church, slavery,etc, etc.

Old Testament God was a jealous, insecure, murderous farker with a sick sense of humour.

New Testament God is a peace-loving-hippy pretender who still gets a hard-on from eternal suffering, baby murder and just generally being a dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.