Fairly recent atheist - looking for a religion - convince me about yours

Splinter

Honorary Master
More interesting is how they blame a god that they don't believe in for everything bad.
Bit of a falsehood here. Where have atheists blamed a god for things bad? I think you are referring to posts where you have been asked why your god allows bad things to happen.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
I didn't make that claim...
and thats the problem with subjective morals, there will never be consensus

and in a world with no objective morals (not made by man), people can justify that there is nothing wrong with having sex with animals
Let me rephrase it for you, in a world with objective morals made by god people can't justify having sex with animals (morals).

I may be wrong but isn't that exactly what you are claiming, if not please explain.

In case you want to argue that its was God that first thought up sleeping with animals is wrong https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hittite_laws "Including the criminalisation of bestiality (except with horses and mules).[1] The death penalty was a common punishment among sexual crimes. " or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_of_the_Nesilim "If a man have intercourse with a cow, it is a capital crime, he shall die. They shall lead him to the king's hall. But the king may kill him, the king may grant him his life. But he shall not approach the king." Both written before the Bible.

saturnz

Honorary Master
Let me rephrase it for you, in a world with objective morals made by god people can't justify having sex with animals (morals).

I may be wrong but isn't that exactly what you are claiming, if not please explain.

In case you want to argue that its was God that first thought up sleeping with animals is wrong
If you can't understand what I'm saying then rather not respond.

I did not argue the issue of who is first to raise the point. My statement is pretty clear and was understood by those who I directed it too.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Dude. You just agreed that everything is made up.
Do you understand the meaning of the world "everything"?
Puh-lease - we were referencing social constructs.

But I can play the semantic game too. Everything is made up...of molecules and atoms...

rietrot

Honorary Master
Puh-lease - we were referencing social constructs.

But I can play the semantic game too. Everything is made up...of molecules and atoms...
I'm not playing a semantic game. We are referring to social constructs, like morals it's all made up by people. Do you agree?

Splinter

Honorary Master
I'm not playing a semantic game. We are referring to social constructs, like morals it's all made up by people. Do you agree?
Let me guess - you are going to try and conflate with the free will thread? :)

But yes, social constructs are, by definition, made up by people.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Let me guess - you are going to try and conflate with the free will thread? :)

But yes, social constructs are, by definition, made up by people.
No I'm not going to conflate anything with the free will thread, you already lost on that one. It would be a waste of time going back to that.

Why are your made up social constructs better than those made up by religion?

Splinter

Honorary Master
No I'm not going to conflate anything with the free will thread, you already lost on that one. It would be a waste of time going back to that.

Why are your made up social constructs better than those made up by religion?
I lost nothing, seeing as I never argued one side or the other - or had you not noticed :) Still waiting on Ponderer to define free will.

Well, for one, what are "my" social constructs?

But the religious social construct is false, obsolete and a dinosaur that threatens people with eternal torture if one does not worship and obey.

Honestly, it boggles my mind that you think this is a good thing.

rietrot

Honorary Master
I lost nothing, seeing as I never argued one side or the other - or had you not noticed :) Still waiting on Ponderer to define free will.

Well, for one, what are "my" social constructs?

But the religious social construct is false, obsolete and a dinosaur that threatens people with eternal torture if one does not worship and obey.

Honestly, it boggles my mind that you think this is a good thing.
Why don't you get off the fence and show us that you actually have something better?

Splinter

Honorary Master
Why don't you get off the fence and show us that you actually have something better?
So you've gone from saying why is "my" social construct better, to now what is my social construct?

Mine rejects religion; ergo it's better than yours.

PS - are you Xarog?

rietrot

Honorary Master
So you've gone from saying why is "my" social construct better, to now what is my social construct?

Mine rejects religion; ergo it's better than yours.

PS - are you Xarog?
I've ask why is you social constructs better from the get go. That includes you actually explaining what they are. I cannot do it for you.

Why is rejecting religion better? Define "better"