Fairly recent atheist - looking for a religion - convince me about yours

Splinter

Honorary Master
I've ask why is you social constructs better from the get go. That includes you actually explaining what they are. I cannot do it for you.

Why is rejecting religion better? Define "better"
sigh.

"But the religious social construct is false, obsolete and a dinosaur that threatens people with eternal torture if one does not worship and obey. "

rietrot

Honorary Master
sigh.

"But the religious social construct is false, obsolete and a dinosaur that threatens people with eternal torture if one does not worship and obey. "
Yeah you'll need to do more than that. What is false about it?

Splinter

Honorary Master
Yeah you'll need to do more than that. What is false about it?
I don't have to, dearie. Especially when you conveniently forget about posts and questions yourself. And avoid answering direct questions like "are you Xarog".

Bobbin

Executive Member
If truth and good are not necessarily aligned, then I don't think we should be discussing falsities as a useful metric for comparing values.

What's left then is what set of values are most useful?

Splinter

Honorary Master
That makes them more true, not less, if that was the case.
It is the case. And we are talking about the obvious stuff, like do not kill.

Not that there is an invisible fairy in the sky that will make you burn forever if you don't worship him.

rietrot

Honorary Master
If truth and good are not necessarily aligned, then I don't think we should be discussing falsities as a useful metric for comparing values.

What's left then is what set of values are most useful?
Obviously truth and good is aligned.

rietrot

Honorary Master
It is the case. And we are talking about the obvious stuff, like do not kill.

Not that there is an invisible fairy in the sky that will make you burn forever if you don't worship him.
You have an irrational obsession with burning.

EADC

Executive Member
I don't have to, dearie. Especially when you conveniently forget about posts and questions yourself. And avoid answering direct questions like "are you Xarog".
Gingerbeardman is Xarog, not rietrot

saturnz

Honorary Master
Correct, try to refute evolution, or the existence of atomic energy, or even just atoms at all. These are just 3 examples :)
the thing though is this, science is not irrefutable evidence - it is organised knowledge

and science as a discipline allows for falsifiable theories, so your notion of irrefutable evidence is well, false

tell me do you still subscribe to Newton's theory of gravity?