Fairly recent atheist - looking for a religion - convince me about yours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
If god existed, you'd think she'd have revealed herself by now.
He/she/it has. Every single day in the warm fuzzy feelings in religious people heads. The same warm fuzzy feelings that tell them they just know god exists but are of course unable to explain or substantiate it. So they don’t. They can’t.

So instead they argue about how atheism is BS, a belief system, a religion yada yada etc etc, because it stops them thinking about their own untenable positions which they simply cannot explain.

Of course it’s just a few who practise such smoke and mirror tactics, the rest of them realise they simply can’t explain the warm fuzzy feelings so they’d just rather not think about it and carry on regardless.

Techne

Honorary Master
I didn’t say it did. Atheism is indeed meaningless BS.

As is Christianity.

So without philosophy as a reference, without Aristotle, prime movers, Aquinas etc, all of which you admit do not lead to the Christian god, can you tell me how your Christian superstitions aren’t nonsense but atheist ones are?
I am so glad you acknowledge that atheism is meaningless BS. You also answer your question with that and that is... All beliefs and superstitions are equally meaningless BS from an atheist perspective.

But who cares about the atheist perspective since it is just a meaningless BS perspective anyway.... and something atheists and non-atheists agree on.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
I am so glad you acknowledge that atheism is meaningless BS. You also answer your question with that and that is... All beliefs and superstitions are equally meaningless BS from an atheist perspective.

But who cares about the atheist perspective since it is just a meaningless BS perspective anyway.... and something atheists and non-atheists agree on.
He/she/it has. Every single day in the warm fuzzy feelings in religious people heads. The same warm fuzzy feelings that tell them they just know god exists but are of course unable to explain or substantiate it. So they don’t. They can’t.

So instead they argue about how atheism is BS, a belief system, a religion yada yada etc etc, because it stops them thinking about their own untenable positions which they simply cannot explain.

Of course it’s just a few who practise such smoke and mirror tactics,
the rest of them realise they simply can’t explain the warm fuzzy feelings so they’d just rather not think about it and carry on regardless.
This is just too funny @Spizz you have already answered his next point, maybe I need to change my opinion on psychics.

Techne

Honorary Master
This is just too funny @Spizz you have already answered his next point, maybe I need to change my opinion on psychics.
It is like you don't see the irony and stupidity in that. I can just throw back the stupid rhetoric... look:
So instead they argue about how theism is BS, a belief system, a religion yada yada etc etc, because it stops them thinking about their own untenable positions which they simply cannot explain.

Of course it’s just a few who practise such smoke and mirror tactics. the rest of them realise they simply can’t explain the warm fuzzy feelings so they’d just rather not think about it and carry on regardless.

Prawnapple

Expert Member
theism is BS, a belief system, a religion yada yada etc etc,
Theism is broadly defined as the belief in the existence of a Supreme Being or deities.

Atheism is, in the broadest sense, an absence of belief in the existence of deities.

By definition, it IS a belief system though :)

Spizz

Goat Botherer

Cool. But let's not get diverted. I asked you a question about your superstitions wrt your Christianity. You are very quick to scoff at other people superstitions, so I'm wondering what makes them inferior to yours?

So I never answered my question. The question was for you and you avoided it. Will you answer now or?

Spizz

Goat Botherer
You'll have to explain that to me please. I was trying to highlight that rather than explain their own belief system, religious people cannot do so, so they divert and attack an atheist "belief system".

As just evidenced again by Techne a few posts ago.

bromster

Expert Member
His voice spoils it. As if he's trying to sound like God
This guy was born in 1915 and died in 1973. His work is very profound and has been digitised to preserve it. He uses very old-fashioned narration, but stick with it if you are able.

Once again, he doesn't try to force his way on anyone. He tells a story to elicit an emotional response from the listener which might relate to something which they are currently facing.

He retired to his home later in life and allowed people to visit and record him so that he could share his experiences. There are YouTube videos going through his entire biography to gain an understanding of how he drew experience through his life, comparable to Terence McKenna.

These stories are frequently designed with no purpose other than to challenge yourself to let go of your preconceptions and open your mind to the experiences of others.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
It is like you don't see the irony and stupidity in that. I can just throw back the stupid rhetoric... look:
So instead they argue about how theism is BS, a belief system, a religion yada yada etc etc, because it stops them thinking about their own untenable positions which they simply cannot explain.

Of course it’s just a few who practise such smoke and mirror tactics. the rest of them realise they simply can’t explain the warm fuzzy feelings so they’d just rather not think about it and carry on regardless.
I think it's all nonsense. You don't. So I'm asking you to explain why.

It's pretty straight forward if you want it to be.

bromster

Expert Member
I'm 2 mins and already don't agree. "You can't just be the product of a mechanical and meaningless universe". - Uh, actually, yes you can. Does this piece get any better?
The full quote is:

"If you are intelligent and reasonable, you cannot be a product of a mechanical and meaningless universe. Figs do not grow on thistles, grapes do not grow on thorns; therefore you, as an expression of the universe, as an aperture through which the universe is observing itself ...

It is just trying to say that if you take time aside and really focus on the complexities evident throughout the universe, that it would stand to reason that something intelligent, whether it be God or the forces of the universe itself, could have created it.

As a free-thinking, logical individual, this is a perfectly sensible argument. In fact, this inference is the basis for most conventional religions, agnosticism included.

Here is another modern example of the same principle. I like this guy.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Theism is broadly defined as the belief in the existence of a Supreme Being or deities.

Atheism is, in the broadest sense, an absence of belief in the existence of deities.

By definition, it IS a belief system though :)
So let's run with that.

I can explain why I "believe" there is no Christian god.

But why can't a Christian who explains the existence of a god by citing philosophical arguments, explain why this god he talks into existence is the Christian god of the bible?

Especially if said Christian is scoffing at atheist "beliefs" without explaining his own.

Crabby

Honorary Master
It is just trying to say that if you take time aside and really focus on the complexities evident throughout the universe, that it would stand to reason that something intelligent, whether it be God or the forces of the universe itself, could have created it.

As a free-thinking, logical individual, this is a perfectly sensible argument. In fact, this inference is the basis for most conventional religions, agnosticism included.
Bringing this superior logic with it's perfectly sensible argument, who created the creator ?

This is as rediculous as Kirk and his banana.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member

C'mon you literally did what he said you were going to do in the next post thats some funny stuff.

You'll have to explain that to me please. I was trying to highlight that rather than explain their own belief system, religious people cannot do so, so they divert and attack an atheist "belief system".

As just evidenced again by Techne a few posts ago.
100% agree you just said hes going to argue that its BS and in the next sentence he argues that its BS which proves your point, makes you look like you can see the future and is funny.

Well played sir

Spizz

Goat Botherer
C'mon you literally did what he said you were going to do in the next post thats some funny stuff.

100% agree you just said hes going to argue that its BS and in the next sentence he argues that its BS which proves your point, makes you look like you can see the future and is funny.

Well played sir
Lol. Gotcha, I read it wrong first time.

But I’ve been witnessing their smoke and mirrors for a long time on here. Deflection is all they have when there is no rational explanation.

Techne

Honorary Master
You do of course realize Spizzy is just trying to desperately hide the inadequacies of his own meaningless BS and trying to project it onto others.

Cool. But let's not get diverted. I asked you a question about your superstitions wrt your Christianity. You are very quick to scoff at other people superstitions, so I'm wondering what makes them inferior to yours?

So I never answered my question. The question was for you and you avoided it. Will you answer now or?
We both agree atheism is meaningless BS.
Atheism is pretty much inferior to ANY other belief system, including Christianity, Islam, Buddhism etc. So you really just want to know why I think Christianity is superior to these other systems that are also superior to your meaningless BS. Simple answer is I don't. They are belief systems trying to at least make sense of reality. They have their issues just like Christianity.

Prawnapple

Expert Member
Atheism is pretty much inferior to ANY other belief system, including Christianity, Islam, Buddhism etc.
That's where you're wrong. You can't compare atheism to any belief system. Why would you?

They are belief systems trying to at least make sense of reality. They have their issues just like Christianity.
but they're not exactly the ones making sense of reality. They just make up any old BS to fill in gaps in human knowledge. The only people around making any sense of reality are scientists.

Techne

Honorary Master
That's where you're wrong. You can't compare atheism to any belief system. Why would you?
I can compare meaningless BS to other things.

but they're not exactly the ones making sense of reality. They just make up any old BS to fill in gaps in human knowledge. The only people around making any sense of reality are scientists.
Call it whatever you want, they are at least trying to make sense of reality in their own way instead of giving up to meaningless BS.

The only people around making any sense of reality are scientists.
That is a childlike naivety. I guess that is why you are an atheist because you are not a scientist and don't make any sense of reality since it is all just meaningless BS anyway.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
You do of course realize Spizzy is just trying to desperately hide the inadequacies of his own meaningless BS and trying to project it onto others.
No I'm not. This is your attempt at avoiding the questions.....

We both agree atheism is meaningless BS.
...because other than continuing our species, our lives are meaningless BS. Why on earth would I try to hide it? I accept it with a happy heart. You might find it hard to face it or accept it, but so has every other person who has lived and died up until this point, so tell me what has it done for them?

Honestly, the sheer arrogance of thinking there is a god who cares whether YOU remarry, win a rugby match or masturbate. It's ludicrous. But if it helps you through your day and your meaningless life, who am I to argue with it? Just don't come here thinking you have the inside track and everyone else is caught in the same kind of spiritual dilemma as you are.

Atheism is pretty much inferior to ANY other belief system, including Christianity, Islam, Buddhism etc. So you really just want to know why I think Christianity is superior to these other systems that are also superior to your meaningless BS. Simple answer is I don't. They are belief systems trying to at least make sense of reality. They have their issues just like Christianity.
What load of nonsense. I accept life is meaningless BS, but because you decide to follow a book that has no providence, you are somehow trying to make sense of reality?

If you'd stuck with the philosophical angle, fair enough, that I can respect. But you have put your rationale aside and chosen a god from an old book for reasons you cannot explain. And I am the one out of touch with reality? You harp on about reason and reality, scoff at other peoples beliefs or lack of them, but all the time you have done nothing more than take a leap of faith and stuck all your eggs in one basket because of reasons you cannot explain.

So no, I'm not asking you "why I think Christianity is superior to these other systems", I'm asking you why you chose to believe in the Christian god when there is absolutely no logic or rationale behind it?

Status
Not open for further replies.