Fairly recent atheist - looking for a religion - convince me about yours

Techne

Honorary Master
Waffle

Deflection

Projection

Ad hominem

Choosing Christianity is a thumb suck.

At last. Why didn’t you just say so in the first place?
Lies, dishonesty and posturing all wrapped up in one juicy post just because you can't come to grips with your own BS. Shame, keep deflecting little disingenuous troll.

Also hilarious that you all of a sudden bitch and moan about ad hominems when your own comments are thrown back at you. That near complete lack of self awareness of you is unfortunately showing its ugly head again.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Lies, dishonesty and posturing all wrapped up in one juicy post just because you can't come to grips with your own BS. Shame, keep deflecting little disingenuous troll.

Also hilarious that you all of a sudden bitch and moan about ad hominems when your own comments are thrown back at you. That near complete lack of self awareness of you is unfortunately showing its ugly head again.
Nasty. That's not very Christian of you.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Never claimed to be a good Christian but as you can see I can be a very good atheist.
Nah, I don't think you've got it in you. There's still a couple of generations to go with your genes.

Prawnapple

Expert Member
Can I be persuaded to change my view on 1? Sure, if you can make me believe meaningless BS.
Strawmanning atheism to mean anything other than the non-belief in deities is disingenuous. It may be meaningless only to some and BS to even fewer (or more - I mean, who cares who finds it meaningful or meaningless).

Can I be persuaded to change my view on 2? Sure, how about the FSM? Or maybe I will just drop religion but I will still be a theist.
Agnostics theism is more respectable than gnostic theism, but still pointless, what good is a god if you cannot ever know anything about it?

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
So let' get a few things straight before you climb on your little meaningless BS soapbox again:
1) The number one issue for me is atheism vs theism. THAT is where the reason, logic, metaphysics, philosophy lies for me. For me it is a no-brainer, atheism is meaningless BS and incompatible with the purposeful endeavour of empirical science, reason and logic in trying to understand reality.
2) Choosing a religion to follow is an entirely subjective decision and influenced heavily by one's upbringing and various biases. I fully acknowledge that and have never denied it. I would not claim that there is "absolutely no logic or rationale behind it". There are pragmatic reasons e.g. it is useful in South Africa to follow Christianity or Christianity is associated with the rise of empirical science in the 12 th century and onward so there is something to it etc.

Can I be persuaded to change my view on 1? Sure, if you can make me believe meaningless BS.
Can I be persuaded to change my view on 2? Sure, how about the FSM? Or maybe I will just drop religion but I will still be a theist.
On 1 I don't see how any reason, logic, metaphysics and philosophy can even be considered in theism, considering there is no proof of anything supernatural in the history of human kind. Atheism is just a lack of belief in a God because there is no proof.

If you see that as BS oh well.

So on 2 its better to have any belief in any God/set of Gods. So believing in the Greek gods is better then not believing in any God, if you can't see the flaw in that argument then there is no reason engage with you again.

Funny that the word Atheist comes from Greek to describe Christians who didn't believe in their Gods :unsure:.

konfab

Honorary Master
On 1 I don't see how any reason, logic, metaphysics and philosophy can even be considered in theism, considering there is no proof of anything supernatural in the history of human kind. Atheism is just a lack of belief in a God because there is no proof.
Reason, logic, metaphysics and philosophy all developed in religions around the world. One theory even goes so far as saying that our understanding of the scientific world came from questions that people asked themselves about religion.

For example, something like the ontological argument is a large expression of reason, logic, metaphysics and philosophy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontological_argument

It is not as easy as stating that these things simply don't exist in theism because you don't agree with the initial axioms.

So on 2 its better to have any belief in any God/set of Gods. So believing in the Greek gods is better then not believing in any God, if you can't see the flaw in that argument then there is no reason engage with you again.
From an evolutionary standpoint though, that argument is 100% correct. Religion has a lot of morality encoded into it, and getting a whole bunch of people to behave in a morally consistent way would present a massive advantage to said group as they would have much less in-fighting.

Techne

Honorary Master

If you see that as BS oh well.
That is your ignorance and your problem.

Well at least you recognize the flaw in your argument.

Funny that the word Atheist comes from Greek to describe Christians who didn't believe in their Gods :unsure:.
That is probably the meme that sparked the "one-less god" stupidity from the New Atheists.

Techne

Honorary Master
Strawmanning atheism to mean anything other than the non-belief in deities is disingenuous. It may be meaningless only to some and BS to even fewer (or more - I mean, who cares who finds it meaningful or meaningless).
Meaningless, useless BS. It has no positive content.

Agnostics theism is more respectable than gnostic theism, but still pointless, what good is a god if you cannot ever know anything about it?
Never heard of classical theism?

Techne

Honorary Master
BS

You're making wild assumptions - show us where you got "blind faith in science" is part of being an atheist.
It is a common feature among atheists. Atheism on its own is of course completely useless BS since it has nothing positive. And btw there is nothing about atheism that implies you don't have blind faith if you are an atheist.

Last edited:

Spizz

Goat Botherer
You mean like the atheist blind faith in science and scientism.
No. Nothing like that whatsoever. This false equivalency (strawman) that you make between your religion and people who have outgrown the need to pray for an afterlife, is made only to make you feel better about your illogical choice of following Jesus. There is no equivalence in atheism, no matter how hard you really, really want there to be.

You see, having “blind faith” in science, or a “passing interest” as we atheists like to call it, affects our lives on no way whatsoever. Indeed, if the science is wrong and is proved as such, everyone applauds.

Now, why don’t you reply and highlight a few lines of mine from this passage if it helps you ignore and not think about your your own life choices. Oh, and add an insult or two.

Techne

Honorary Master
No. Nothing like that whatsoever. This false equivalency (strawman) that you make between your religion and people who have outgrown the need to pray for an afterlife, is made only to make you feel better about your illogical choice of following Jesus. There is no equivalence in atheism, no matter how hard you really, really want there to be.

You see, having “blind faith” in science, or a “passing interest” as we atheists like to call it, affects our lives on no way whatsoever. Indeed, if the science is wrong and is proved as such, everyone applauds.

Now, why don’t you reply and highlight a few lines of mine from this passage if it helps you ignore and not think about your your own life choices. Oh, and add an insult or two.
You are right, there is no equivalence. Atheism is useless and meaningless BS with nothing positive or constructive.

TysonRoux

Executive Member
One of the biggest lures with most religions is the wonderful everlasting time in heaven, regardless of the fact that this place in the sky has never been confirmed, nor has the entry criteria.

Why wouldn't a god that loved his followers create heaven on earth?