Fairly recent atheist - looking for a religion - convince me about yours

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Definately you since you are an atheist but also you create meaning and purpose everyday.
Projecting again? Who said I create meaning and purpose? Who said I need it? I do recall saying the opposite actually.

Really dude, try not to judge everyone and measure them by your own fears and inadequacies.

I’m sure it was an oversight, but you forgot to tell me why you believe in Jesus.

Techne

Honorary Master
Projecting again? Who said I create meaning and purpose? Who said I need it? I do recall saying the opposite actually.

Really dude, try not to judge everyone and measure them by your own fears and inadequacies.

I’m sure it was an oversight, but you forgot to tell me why you believe in Jesus.
That brain of yours acts towards various ends and creates your meaning for you no matter how much you try to lie to yourself.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
That brain of yours acts towards various ends and creates your meaning for you no matter how much you try to lie to yourself.
It seems to really bother you that I have a happy life without Jesus. But sure. Okay. I’ll play. What am I lying to myself about?

bromster

Expert Member
My parents are atheist. They always told me that I have full freedom to choose whatever religion I wanted. I went to Anglican Church for a while, but even as an early teen-ager, the pastors couldn't logically answer my probing questions so I left.

Despite having "freedom of choice" from my parents, it is really not freedom at all. You will always look to them for inspiration through your formative years and surprise surprise, I decided that I wanted to be atheist.

Then I grew older, inspired by science and the allure of the unknown, x-files, the matrix etc. and realised that conventional religion is no more or no less plausible than humanity existing as the ant farm of some higher dimensional being. At this point I just decided to be myself and be a good person.

I see infinite regress as a common reference on this thread, and this is true for all of our arguments. The truth of the matter is that none of us will ever know, as stated many times before.

The fact that any one person thinks that they somehow got it correct, and others are misguided, is the biggest fallacy evident on this thread. To think that the Catholics' version of God is correct, yet the Anglican or Islamic beliefs in the same concept of God are wrong, is simply absurd.

We should all be here sharing our beliefs and listening with an open mind to the beliefs of others, without taking offense or trying to egotistically justify and defend our own subjective interpretations is pointless. So is attacking another person's life view.

All of our fundamental beliefs are based in inference, whether it be atheist or theist, agnostic or gnostic. Even our most cutting edge science and knowledge of the universe is based largely on inference. We don't really know what Kepler 22b is like until we get there, which we won't.

TysonRoux

Executive Member
My parents are atheist. They always told me that I have full freedom to choose whatever religion I wanted. I went to Anglican Church for a while, but even as an early teen-ager, the pastors couldn't logically answer my probing questions so I left.

Despite having "freedom of choice" from my parents, it is really not freedom at all. You will always look to them for inspiration through your formative years and surprise surprise, I decided that I wanted to be atheist.

Then I grew older, inspired by science and the allure of the unknown, x-files, the matrix etc. and realised that conventional religion is no more or no less plausible than humanity existing as the ant farm of some higher dimensional being. At this point I just decided to be myself and be a good person.

I see infinite regress as a common reference on this thread, and this is true for all of our arguments. The truth of the matter is that none of us will ever know, as stated many times before.

The fact that any one person thinks that they somehow got it correct, and others are misguided, is the biggest fallacy evident on this thread. To think that the Catholics' version of God is correct, yet the Anglican or Islamic beliefs in the same concept of God are wrong, is simply absurd.

We should all be here sharing our beliefs and listening with an open mind to the beliefs of others, without taking offense or trying to egotistically justify and defend our own subjective interpretations is pointless. So is attacking another person's life view.

All of our fundamental beliefs are based in inference, whether it be atheist or theist, agnostic or gnostic. Even our most cutting edge science and knowledge of the universe is based largely on inference. We don't really know what Kepler 22b is like until we get there, which we won't.
I don't believe in any mystical being, and when it comes to a science query/theory, I want to see the theory demonstrated, so there isn't anything that I need to prove regarding my position.

The onus is on the ones making claims that some mystical body or deity exists to offer reasonable evidence to support that.

saturnz

Honorary Master
I don't believe in any mystical being, and when it comes to a science query/theory, I want to see the theory demonstrated, so there isn't anything that I need to prove regarding my position.

The onus is on the ones making claims that some mystical body or deity exists to offer reasonable evidence to support that.
proofs don't require evidence

Techne

Honorary Master
It seems to really bother you that I have a happy life without Jesus. But sure. Okay. I’ll play. What am I lying to myself about?
I really don't care about the happiness level of some anonymous nobody on the internet.

And you are lying to yourself if you think your happiness is anything but meaningless BS.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I really don't care about the happiness level of some anonymous nobody on the internet.

And you are lying to yourself if you think your happiness is anything but meaningless BS.
Sure. I’ve already told you more than once that I accept that. How is that lying to myself? Please explain.

Dude, I wonder if your obsession with this point and my inner peace at accepting my lot in life is perhaps a reflection of your own inner turmoil? A fly in the ointment if you will, of how your philosophical reasoning just can’t explain your leap of faith in choosing Jesus? It must surely be a sore one to live with for a man of reason and logic. Not so?

Techne

Honorary Master
So you accept your happiness is meaningless BS. But yet you think some other anonymous nobody cares about your meaningless happiness. Cool story bro, keep lying to yourself.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
So you accept your happiness is meaningless BS. But yet you think some other anonymous nobody cares about your meaningless happiness. Cool story bro, keep lying to yourself.
Yes and no.

Yes, in the grand scale of things, my happiness is meaningless BS.

No, I don’t give a schit what you think. You do though. And that’s why you try and attack me to stop you thinking about your illogical relationship with Jesus.

You seriously need new deflection techniques bud. How many times do I have to answer you for you to bring it up and level the same nonsense again a few posts later?

Techne

Honorary Master
Yes and no.

Yes, in the grand scale of things, my happiness is meaningless BS.

No, I don’t give a schit what you think. You do though. And that’s why you try and attack me to stop you thinking about your illogical relationship with Jesus.

You seriously need new deflection techniques bud. How many times do I have to answer you for you to bring it up and level the same nonsense again a few posts later?
Aai shame, if that is true then you reaaaly care what I say. Keep telling me how happy you are as if I care though.

Splinter

Honorary Master
thats not how things unfolded

you made a comment after the conversation was concluded, I asked how your views matter and your violent tendencies started to come through

nothing is being twisted
This is why I have zero respect for you. You design to frustrate. Thereafter, if you succeed, you latch on to one post/one phrase and suck on it like a bloated leech.

Splinter

Honorary Master
What an interesting statement.

So, to be happy is just meaningless BS?

What, you need to be a tormented and unhappy soul, that believes in religion, for things to make meaning? :)

Techne

Honorary Master
What an interesting statement.

So, to be happy is just meaningless BS?

What, you need to be a tormented and unhappy soul, that believes in religion, for things to make meaning? :)
Either you didn't follow the thread and now make this comment out of context an/or ignorance or you followed the thread but demonstrate a clear lack of comprehension .

Splinter

Honorary Master
Either you didn't follow the thread and now make this comment out of context an/or ignorance or you followed the thread but demonstrate a clear lack of comprehension .
So I'm damned if I did or damned if I didn't? :laugh: