Fairly recent atheist - looking for a religion - convince me about yours

Splinter

Honorary Master
Definately you since you are an atheist but also you create meaning and purpose everyday.
Another interesting post. For you then, do you "create meaning and purpose everyday"? Or are you just leading a fearful life. In fear that you may be doing something wrong that will not lead you into heaven?

Splinter

Honorary Master
My parents are atheist. They always told me that I have full freedom to choose whatever religion I wanted. I went to Anglican Church for a while, but even as an early teen-ager, the pastors couldn't logically answer my probing questions so I left.

Despite having "freedom of choice" from my parents, it is really not freedom at all. You will always look to them for inspiration through your formative years and surprise surprise, I decided that I wanted to be atheist.

Then I grew older, inspired by science and the allure of the unknown, x-files, the matrix etc. and realised that conventional religion is no more or no less plausible than humanity existing as the ant farm of some higher dimensional being. At this point I just decided to be myself and be a good person.

I see infinite regress as a common reference on this thread, and this is true for all of our arguments. The truth of the matter is that none of us will ever know, as stated many times before.

The fact that any one person thinks that they somehow got it correct, and others are misguided, is the biggest fallacy evident on this thread. To think that the Catholics' version of God is correct, yet the Anglican or Islamic beliefs in the same concept of God are wrong, is simply absurd.

We should all be here sharing our beliefs and listening with an open mind to the beliefs of others, without taking offense or trying to egotistically justify and defend our own subjective interpretations is pointless. So is attacking another person's life view.

All of our fundamental beliefs are based in inference, whether it be atheist or theist, agnostic or gnostic. Even our most cutting edge science and knowledge of the universe is based largely on inference. We don't really know what Kepler 22b is like until we get there, which we won't.
That's all very sweet and all. The problem is, religion says otherwise.

Techne

Honorary Master
Another interesting post. For you then, do you "create meaning and purpose everyday"? Or are you just leading a fearful life. In fear that you may be doing something wrong that will not lead you into heaven?
Everybody's brain creates meaning and purpose, contrary to materialist atheist meaningless BS.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Everybody's brain creates meaning and purpose, contrary to materialist atheist meaningless BS.
Your anger and vitriol always amazes me, seeing as what you supposedly endorse and espouse.

Your contradictions? Not much so. Stupid is what stupid types.

Techne

Honorary Master
Your anger and vitriol always amazes me, seeing as what you supposedly endorse and espouse.

Your contradictions? Not much so. Stupid is what stupid types.
Aren't you the little snowflake always bitching and moaning from his high horse about ad hominems? Well well...

Splinter

Honorary Master
Aren't you the little snowflake always bitching and moaning from his high horse about ad hominems? Well well...
Why don't you actually answer a question for once. It would be rather refreshing.

Edit: And disprove me on my statement that "stupid is what stupid types". Please.

Prawnapple

Expert Member
Meaningless, useless BS. It has no positive content.
That doesn't matter in the debate about the existence or non-existence of god.

Never heard of classical theism?
Don't really know a lot about it. It seems to be god as the prime mover / timeless / "perfect" in knowledge and wisdom, exists both within and without the universe simultaneously, etc. I have some issues with it. It's still however a prime mover / cosmological argument. It has falsifiable bits as well as non-falsifiable bits.

Prawnapple

Expert Member
Relevant to thread:
In a recent Best Countries survey of more than 21,000 people from all regions of the world, the majority of respondents identified religion as the "primary source of most global conflict today."

Spiritual beliefs create an inherent "us vs. them" scenario, experts say
"When societies shatter, they generally shatter along tribal lines. People are seeing themselves as irretrievably different from their neighbors," says Sam Harris, a neuroscientist and philosopher who has published books on Islam and the conflict between religion and science.
The divisions created by religion are deeper and potentially more harmful than those formed through other aspects of identity such as race, nationality or political affiliations because they confront individuals with differing opinions on the ultimate purpose of life, experts say. And more than 80 percent of those surveyed said that religious beliefs guide a person's behaviour.

"Religion often becomes the master variable," Harris says. "It provides a unique reward structure. If you believe that the thoughts you harbor in this life and the doctrines you adhere to spell the difference between an eternity spent in fire or one spent on the right hand of God, that raises the stakes beyond any other reward structure on earth."
Further reading:
Religion Needs a Savior

STS

Mafia Detective
Meaningless, useless BS. It has no positive content.

Never heard of classical theism?
You mean like the useless, meaningless banter you engage in on the forum? I think you may be the one trying to hide your own inadequacies, since there is no logical outcome to all your time spent here. It has as much purpose as your fart you had this morning.

Techne

Honorary Master
You mean like the useless, meaningless banter you engage in on the forum? I think you may be the one trying to hide your own inadequacies, since there is no logical outcome to all your time spent here. It has as much purpose as your fart you had this morning.
Is that now the best you have? Bitching about other people while doing exactly what you accuse them of? Really, the lack of self-awareness is.... actually unsurprising :X3:

STS

Mafia Detective
Is that now the best you have? Bitching about other people while doing exactly what you accuse them of? Really, the lack of self-awareness is.... actually unsurprising :X3:
I do what I do because I know it is meaningless - I give it my own meaning.

You have no justification for what you do unless you're a hypocrite or self-aware puppet. Again, this talk should to you have some greater meaning when in fact it has the same amount of meaning as which way the forks are facing in your sink or how many blue blankets are in your house

Techne

Honorary Master
I do what I do because I know it is meaningless - I give it my own meaning.

You have no justification for what you do unless you're a hypocrite or self-aware puppet. Again, this talk should to you have some greater meaning when in fact it has the same amount of meaning as which way the forks are facing in your sink or how many blue blankets are in your house
But but but you give it reaaal meaning o_O cool story, didn't know you believe in magic.

STS

Mafia Detective
But but but you give it reaaal meaning o_O cool story, didn't know you believe in magic.
Else if you believe god put me in your path and me lecturing you is what god wanted, I don't need to believe in magic for it to be "meaningful" or part of some destiny.

So regardless of your opinions, everything turns out the way it should? No wonder you're so cranky, you can just blame god for making you this way and be free of any personal responsibility