Fairly recent atheist - looking for a religion - convince me about yours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Reader

Shame, you just admitted you are completely ignorant of the various proofs out there. Now again, theist accept at least one of them as valid. Intellectually honest atheists will study them and come to their own conclusions based on their understanding. Intellectually ignorant and/or dishonest and/or lazy atheists will remain ignorant of these various proofs but still think they are not ignorant while mocking theists.
The only one that seems dishonest with themselves here is you. Either that or you're just retarded.

Forum Reader

Gotta go. Your desperation to troll for a reaction is hilarious though ;)
It seems like he won't post any proofs and instead point fingers like a little child because he knows they will be shot down as BS immediately. How desperate does one have to be when they have to troll like this to get some meaning in their life.

Splinter

Honorary Master
It seems like he won't post any proofs and instead point fingers like a little child because he knows they will be shot down as BS immediately. How desperate does one have to be when they have to troll like this to get some meaning in their life.
I have two points of view when it comes to @Techne (and others).

1) Pure trolling. I say this because the willing level of stupidity and refusal to answer questions is just, well, pure trolling

2) Pure angst and anger at knowing, fairly deep down, that he/she/they are wrong.

STS

Mafia Detective
The only one that seems dishonest with themselves here is you. Either that or you're just retarded.
I am pretty sure he is a solipsist

Solipsism is the philosophical idea that only one's mind is sure to exist. As an epistemological position, solipsism holds that knowledge of anything outside one's own mind is unsure; the external world and other minds cannot be known and might not exist outside the mind.

Splinter

Honorary Master
I am pretty sure he is a solipsist

Solipsism is the philosophical idea that only one's mind is sure to exist. As an epistemological position, solipsism holds that knowledge of anything outside one's own mind is unsure; the external world and other minds cannot be known and might not exist outside the mind.
I think you got that definition wrong.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
There's nothing more superficial, if you lightly scratch the surface of secular humanism it collapse into a blackhole of nihilism.
There are certainly problems in secular humanism but it has never started a war, hunted Witches, womens rights, promoted slavery, shunned/killed people for talking about it, persecuted people for being born a certain way and caused more Death then any other man made thing in human history.

Getting rid of all the things above are not religious views they are Secular views, if it wasn't for people fighting against the Churches views we would still be living in a very dark world.

Again I will give you the Zeus example do you lose meaning in a thunderstorm because you don't believe Zeus is throwing lightning bolts. No it is just as meaningful.

Without religion you feel free because you don't have all the confusing mumbo jumbo that everyone spews at you and you can just live. I don't believe Nihilism can exist except in very depressed people.

rietrot

Honorary Master
There are certainly problems in secular humanism but it has never started a war, hunted Witches, womens rights, promoted slavery, shunned/killed people for talking about it, persecuted people for being born a certain way and caused more Death then any other man made thing in human
I suggest you pick up a history book. Start with the French revolution and behold secular humanism chopping other people's heads off.

C4Cat

Executive Member
There's nothing more superficial, if you lightly scratch the surface of secular humanism it collapse into a blackhole of nihilism.
Why would you say that? Do you really think religion or belief in the supernatural is required to give life meaning? Nihilism is a philosophical phase that can ultimately result in secular humanism, not the other way around.

C4Cat

Executive Member
Without religion you feel free because you don't have all the confusing mumbo jumbo that everyone spews at you and you can just live. I don't believe Nihilism can exist except in very depressed people.
I don't necessarily agree with this. Nihilism is also, often, what happens when one first realises that all the traditional values they've known no longer hold any water. One rejects the religious beliefs they grew up with and for a time there is nothing to replace them. Life is then without objective meaning or purpose, as religion is what always gave one that feeling of meaning and purpose - the idea that you specifically were created by a god, rather than being just a by-product of blind evolutionary process. Ultimately that can lead to the realisation that one does not require belief in the supernatural, that meaning and purpose can be found in the life around you, in the people you care for and love, in nature and work and many other things. You are liberated to actually choose your purpose and find meaning in life for yourself, free of dogma and outdated belief systems. You become responsible for figuring out the ethical consequences of your decisions and to examine your life with rationality and compassion. This is secular humanism. As Victor Frankl put it:
Ultimately, man should not ask what the meaning of his life is, but rather he must recognize that it is he who is asked. In a word, each man is questioned by life; and he can only answer to life by answering for his own life; to life he can only respond by being responsible.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
I suggest you pick up a history book. Start with the French revolution and behold secular humanism chopping other people's heads off.
Was the French revolution an religious war or a secular war?
Would there have been an uprising at all if the Church wasn't sitting around eating the working classes cake as the saying goes?
Would be headings have happened if it wasn't learnt behavior from church and state (as nietzsche claims)?

I also said secular humanism isn't perfect but the fact of the matter is the Bible is responsible for more human deaths then anything other then natural causes.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Was the French revolution an religious war or a secular war?
Would there have been an uprising at all if the Church wasn't sitting around eating the working classes cake as the saying goes?
Would be headings have happened if it wasn't learnt behavior from church and state (as nietzsche claims)?

I also said secular humanism isn't perfect but the fact of the matter is the Bible is responsible for more human deaths then anything other then natural causes.
The French revolution was secular/anti-religious. You can't blame religion for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.