FALSE ADVERTISING - MWeb double debits but displays only the "monthly amount"

snugam

MWeb says that I buy uncapped bandwidth for R539 per month and then they let you sign-up. Then coming, at the end of that month when they are supposed to debit that amount; all of a sudden they invoice you twice the amount, for the month past and the month coming without ANY WARNING (except fine print).

I prepared a specific budget for the end of the month expecting this amount only to find out that they deduct double the amount - because apparently according to the person who phoned me - that is their system - you pay forward, not backwards.

I feel this is unacceptable because its misleading marketing. They show the amount of R539 per month and then in the fineprint they say actually WERE GONNA RIP YOU OFF.

Why don't they create a credit card system where you pay immediately and then you are not defrauded, because if someone signs up for an amount, that is the amount expected to pay, and you wont have underbudgeted. THIS IS FALSE MARKETING

wheunis

You only pay double on your first month.

This exact same policy applies to the analogue line, and DSL line, that you obviously also must have; Even if you have the DSL direct from Telkom...

I think all month-to-month contract ISP's work like this, fyi.

It really isn't false advertising, or defrauding, in any manner.
It's pretty much standard procedure actually...

killadoob

Honorary Master
People should really consider picking up a telephone before posting on forums.

Mweb and the like have support numbers so you do not end up lookin like a right chop on a forum :p

Necuno

Court Jester
reading helps.

4. Billing

4.1 You will pay the Service Fee to MWEB monthly in advance by way of debit order, or such other manner as agreed, on or before the 1st day of each and every calendar month.

4.2 Billing will commence on the Activation Date.

4.3 If you signed up or switched over to this product by or before the 15th of the month, your first bill will include the full subscription for that month plus the subscription for the following month.

4.4 If you signed up after the 15th of the month, your first bill will include half the subscription for the first month and the full subscription for the following month.

http://www.mweb.co.za/legalpolicies/ProductsServices/ADSLTerms2010.aspx

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
MWeb says that I buy uncapped bandwidth for R539 per month and then they let you sign-up. Then coming, at the end of that month when they are supposed to debit that amount; all of a sudden they invoice you twice the amount, for the month past and the month coming without ANY WARNING (except fine print).

I prepared a specific budget for the end of the month expecting this amount only to find out that they deduct double the amount - because apparently according to the person who phoned me - that is their system - you pay forward, not backwards.

I feel this is unacceptable because its misleading marketing. They show the amount of R539 per month and then in the fineprint they say actually WERE GONNA RIP YOU OFF.

Why don't they create a credit card system where you pay immediately and then you are not defrauded, because if someone signs up for an amount, that is the amount expected to pay, and you wont have underbudgeted. THIS IS FALSE MARKETING

It's not mwebs fault you didnt ask about the billing before you signed up.

snugam

You know what - it's my fault sure; What's frustrating is, that even though MWeb knows they do this - nowhere did that make any effort to say "Listen here mister' and the end of this month you're paying double - except in the fineprint, which no one ever reads when they're applying for their new zippy uncapped line! And just as an afterthought, on whose side are you people anyway, the customers or the companies that still rip us off for bandwidth costs in this country. just by the way!

But I'll leave it at that -- and accept that it was my fault from the beginning!

Tacet

Expert Member
@ Qwikslver: Agreed. Most companies works like this - I've had the same with Vodacom and MTN before. I'm not sure if I pay may Telkom line upfront as well, but it might very well be. It's standard practise.

You know what - it's my fault sure; What's frustrating is, that even though MWeb knows they do this - nowhere did that make any effort to say "Listen here mister' and the end of this month you're paying double - except in the fineprint, which no one ever reads when they're applying for their new zippy uncapped line! And just as an afterthough, on whose side are you guys anyway, the customers or the companies that still ripp us off for bandwidth costs in this country. just by the way!

Choosing between a company who's currently got an excellent ADSL offering and a customer too lazy to read the fine print? Sorry, I'm on MWEBs side here!

Last edited:

snugam

considering your customers by ensure they understand how you operate works too; no one wants to read a manual everytime they do something ----

snugam

@ Qwikslver: Agreed. Most companies works like this - I've had the same with Vodacom and MTN before. I'm not sure if I pay may Telkom line upfront as well, but it might very well be. It's standard practise.

Choosing between a company who's currently got an excellent ADSL offering and a customer too lazy to read the fine print? Sorry, I'm on MWEBs side here!

lol

snugam

People should really consider picking up a telephone before posting on forums.

Mweb and the like have support numbers so you do not end up lookin like a right chop on a forum :p

Thanks SUPER GRANDMASTER --- I suppose freedom of speach does not apply here?

Tacet

Expert Member
Thanks SUPER GRANDMASTER --- I suppose freedom of speach does not apply here?

So you're allowed to say what you say and think, but killa not? Double standards detected.

Besides, look at his statement:
1) Mweb and the like have support numbers - true
2) phoning them might have stopped you making a fool of yourself on the forums. - true

Sounds like good advise to me. A bit more advise - in future, ask the agent exactly what your first month's payment will be, and what it will be the month thereafter. This applies to any contract, not only ADSL. Also ask them what should be paid NOW, on signing. Just advise, use it or not.

killadoob

Honorary Master
Thanks SUPER GRANDMASTER --- I suppose freedom of speech does not apply here?

No freedom of speech is fine but what is the point of coming on here telling us mweb are thieving bastids when you have not taken the time to read the T and C's or taken the time to make a phone call or send an email.

You rather come here screaming about how bad mweb are for stealing your money when you have no idea what is going on :D. That dude ain't no freedom of speech, that is plain silly :p

snugam

So you're allowed to say what you say and think, but killa not? Double standards detected.

Besides, look at his statement:
1) Mweb and the like have support numbers - true
2) phoning them might have stopped you making a fool of yourself on the forums. - true

Sounds like good advise to me. A bit more advise - in future, ask the agent exactly what your first month's payment will be, and what it will be the month thereafter. This applies to any contract, not only ADSL. Also ask them what should be paid NOW, on signing. Just advise, use it or not.

Great advice thanks --- the fact of the matter is this -
1) I have to pay it, because I signed up for it!
2) What I'm asking is, couldn't they have made it clear at completing the sign-up process that this is the amount debited at the end of this month instead of hiding it in some fineprint!
3) Allow you to pay upfront using your credit card.

I'm probably fighting a loosing battle anyway, but I believe that if I speak up, then it's made known - I suppose there is no crime in that!

Valerion

Expert Member
I'm not sure if I pay may Telkom line upfront as well, but it might very well be. It's standard practise.

At the beginning of April I moved my line from an ISP to Telkom, and did a line upgrade at the same time (384 -> 4M). I was hit with a double fee for this, so Telkom does it as well.

snugam

It would really be nice if they

1) Recommended that you wait a few days and then sign-up on this date,
2) Make an offer to you as the customer of when to make the account become active so that you only pay forward from that day.
3) Give you the option to pay double at the end of the month or pay upfront with your credit card now.

I'm involved with web development and in my experience all those options can be workflowed online - but they're just not considering it because it's cheaper to shove the fineprint in your face 15 days later!

Tacet

Expert Member
Great advice thanks --- the fact of the matter is this -
1) I have to pay it, because I signed up for it!
2) What I'm asking is, couldn't they have made it clear at completing the sign-up process that this is the amount debited at the end of this month instead of hiding it in some fineprint!
3) Allow you to pay upfront using your credit card.

I know the feeling - I think all of us here has had those billing shocks before. But yeah, it is standard practise, so always expect it. Always read that silly fine print. Someday I'm going to write up a contract which states in the fine print that someone will be my everlasting slave if they sign the contract. I suspect that some people will sign their lives away. :p

I have problems ATM with a ex-tenant who didn't even read the large print of the contract, and believe me, it's a pain. So I understand the matter from both sides' point of view. Mweb can't explain every point of the fine print in detail, it would take ages and make applying a major pain. And what's important to you in the fine print isn't to me.

Anyway, sorry about your pain. Enjoy the uncapped!

snugam

I know the feeling - I think all of us here has had those billing shocks before. But yeah, it is standard practise, so always expect it. Always read that silly fine print. Someday I'm going to write up a contract which states in the fine print that someone will be my everlasting slave if they sign the contract. I suspect that some people will sign their lives away. :p

I have problems ATM with a ex-tenant who didn't even read the large print of the contract, and believe me, it's a pain. So I understand the matter from both sides' point of view. Mweb can't explain every point of the fine print in detail, it would take ages and make applying a major pain. And what's important to you in the fine print isn't to me.

Anyway, sorry about your pain. Enjoy the uncapped!

AGREED :)

milomak

Honorary Master
Love how a contract that is quite clear is now being referred to as fine print.

Not only that, it didn't occur to you that ADSL is a pay in advance service and you should have asked questions when they activated you without having paid?