• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Famed mathematician claims proof of 160-year-old Riemann hypothesis

Bernie

Expert Member
This could be one of the biggest advancements in mathematics if true.

"One of the most important unsolved problems in mathematics may have been solved, retired mathematician Michael Atiyah is set to claim on Monday. In a talk at the Heidelberg Laureate Forum in Germany, Atiyah will present what he refers to as a “simple proof” of the Riemann hypothesis, a problem which has eluded mathematicians for almost 160 years."

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...ims-proof-of-160-year-old-riemann-hypothesis/

Its way way way above my understanding, nevertheless I do generally read up on lots of maths topics and enjoy it even when I have no clue about what they talk about sometimes :)

For an explanation of what this is, this is a great numberphile youtube video.

Gordon_R

Expert Member
The rest of the article is a lot more sobering:

As one of the six unsolved Clay Millennium Problems, any solution would also be eligible for a $1 million prize. The prestige has tempted many mathematicians over the years, none of which has yet been awarded the prize.

Atiyah is well aware of this history of failure. “Nobody believes any proof of the Riemann hypothesis, let alone a proof by someone who’s 90,” he says, but he hopes his presentation will convince his critics.

In it, he pays tribute to the work of two great 20th century mathematicians, John von Neumann and Friedrich Hirzebruch, whose developments he claims laid the foundations for his own proposed proof. “It fell into my lap, I had to pick it up,” he says.

New Scientist contacted a number of mathematicians to comment on the claimed proof, but all of them declined. Atiyah has produced a number of papers in recent years making remarkable claims which have so far failed to convince his peers.

“People say ‘we know mathematicians do all their best work before they’re 40’”, says Atiyah. “I’m trying to show them that they’re wrong. That I can do something when I’m 90.”

Bernie

Expert Member
The rest of the article is a lot more sobering:
Yup looks like his "simple" proof is being doubted a lot, but jury still out - one never knows.

...Atiyah has produced a number of papers in recent years making remarkable claims which have so far failed to convince his peers. While his latest proof has yet to undergo the rigorous peer review process necessary to test its validity, the initial reaction has been one of cautious scepticism. Most mathematicians contacted by New Scientist declined to comment on the work....
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...ikely-remains-unsolved-despite-claimed-proof/