Family of 'intruder' wants to perform ritual at house where he was killed

schumi

Honorary Master
The family of a man who was beaten to death in a Witbank homeowner's yard after allegedly being accused of intruding has told TimesLIVE they need to return to the scene to perform a traditional ritual.

Buhle Madandana, the dead man's cousin, said on Wednesday the family hoped the police would help them in arranging a visit to the house before they lay Lizwi Mbhabhama to rest in Tsolo, in the Eastern Cape.

“We don’t have a choice. We have to do the ceremony. We need his spirit. We need to do this for his soul to rest in peace,” Madandana said.

Usually this ritual involves the burning of incense at the spot where the person died. A branch is placed at the scene. This symbolises the person’s spirit. Mourners speak to the spirit of the deceased, telling him or her that they are taking them to their final resting place. This branch is then taken back to the family home.

Madandana said it had been a trying week since Mbhabhama died, especially since they missed the opportunity to meet the homeowner who allegedly caught and beat Mbhabhama after finding him in his yard.
More at:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
My instant response is "Fsck No" if that sort of request was to be made for my property, but at the same time this sounds like a group of homeowners who ultimately committed murder, they beat the guy to death effectively, and that makes me somewhat more receptive to the request as a 3rd party observer.

konfab

Honorary Master
Maureen Scheepers, operations co-ordinator of the local SA Community Crime Watch group, said they were called just after the assault began.

“When we got there, he was naked. He was still tied up. They had beaten him with a spade, sjambok, sticks and a hose pipe. They kept pouring water on him where his flesh was exposed.”

Recalling his last moments alive, she said: “He looked at me and said, ‘Jy is so mooi’. I was still talking to him when his face turned pale. He then had convulsions and his eyes rolled back and that is how he died,” she said.
Jeesus... :sick:

The people who did this should be thrown in prison for life. Even if this guy was a criminal, they hardly gave him a fair trial or chance to speak for himself.

Sam123456

My instant response is "Fsck No" if that sort of request was to be made for my property, but at the same time this sounds like a group of homeowners who ultimately committed murder, they beat the guy to death effectively, and that makes me somewhat more receptive to the request as a 3rd party observer.
How about we make ourselves more receptive to the fact that he wouldn't have been beaten up and his soul would've been happily alive if he wasn't intruding on said homeowner's property with who knows what intentions?

We have become so desensitized to intruders in our homes of late that we almost forget the grave seriousness of the act they are committing, and want to feel sorry for guys like these when they are caught.

konfab

Honorary Master
How about we make ourselves more receptive to the fact that he wouldn't have been beaten up and his soul would've been happily alive if he wasn't intruding on said homeowner's property with who knows what intentions?

We have become so desensitized to intruders in our homes of late that we almost forget the grave seriousness of the act they are committing, and want to feel sorry for guys like these when they are caught.
He didn't present a threat to a whole mob of people did he?
They should have tied him up and called the police, then he can rot in prison if he committed a crime.

If it had been the homeowner who shot the guy because he looked like he might be a threat, it would have been a different story. But calling your neighbours to beat him to death is disgusting, and makes you nothing but a murderer.

ponder

Honorary Master
The people who did this should be thrown in prison for life. Even if this guy was a criminal, they hardly gave him a fair trial or chance to speak for himself.
Mob justice is cool, m'kay - MyBB

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
ya, I'm not someone who cares about ritual and belief but they could be fair to his family.

The guy trespassed - which isn't a capital crime. They chose to kill him because they saw him as a threat...its probably a good idea to let the family get some peace, might even help them in the eyes of the law.

BTW I can understand someone shooting an intruder and killing them, it just takes one bullet. How do you beat a guy to death though ? That does feel pre-meditated.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

Whatever his intentions, there was no need for the group of people to beat him to death. If he had been shot by the homeowner then my "Fsck No" would stand.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master

I don't feel like the residents were protecting themselves.

Yes, I'd klap the snot out of someone trespassing on my property. Beating someone to death feels like a stretch... especially if its a mob.

danny0

Jeesus... :sick:

Agreed. The punishment was disproportionate. The person/people who murdered him are just as much of a criminal as he was.

Sam123456

My comment was made generally and without reading the article. I can see, having now seen the full thing, why the mob thing may not have been the best idea. But I also feel zero sympathy for criminals in general so there's that.

R13...

Honorary Master
This was definitely excessive. Maybe a klap or three for not answering why he's in the yard but to bring out spades and ****? And the time of day also makes it a bit hard to believe he was a violent criminal if he was looking for something to steal and those tend to work in packs.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
My comment was made generally and without reading the article. I can see, having now seen the full thing, why the mob thing may not have been the best idea. But I also feel zero sympathy for criminals in general so there's that.
I think we are all in that boat.

hungrymamba

Another article I read suggests that he might not have been an intruder at all - he was a hitch-hiker... probably driven to the house where he was found by hunger or thirst.

falcon786

Executive Member
This was definitely excessive. Maybe a klap or three for not answering why he's in the yard but to bring out spades and ****? And the time of day also makes it a bit hard to believe he was a violent criminal if he was looking for something to steal and those tend to work in packs.
We caught a criminal in our yard once,handed him over to police untouched and boom 3 days later he was walking free,caught the same guy 2 months later in the same spot and this time neighbour klapped him a bit but he still managed to run away in the process,these guys are fast lol ...but guess what he never came back.

Killing a person for petty theft (which is what most of these yard intruder okes are doing) is just plain murder.

falcon786

Executive Member
Another article I read suggests that he might not have been an intruder at all - he was a hitch-hiker... probably driven to the house where he was found by hunger or thirst.
Hunger and thirst made him jump into somebodies back yard?Why not knock on the door and ask for water?