Family returns $1M check sent to them by accident

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Family returns $1M check sent to them by accident

A North Carolina family sent a check back to Bank of America after it accidentally wrote it out to them for $1 million.

Eric Gabriel says he was expecting money from the bank, but not that much.

"We freaked out, you know, you kind of jump up and down."

Gabriel said the thought of keeping the money was tempting, but his family ultimately decided to send it back.

"I could feel my flesh say, 'I want this,' but it wasn't it, it wasn't mine."

A spokesperson for Bank of America confirmed the incident and says it has been resolved.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Good on him, he may have been saddled with a $1m debt.
The problem is if you search for more links and information about the story, you find at one point he mentions having prayed with his wife about what to do about the check, as such it points out that he has seriously considered keeping the check at one point, which paints a slightly less honest picture in general....

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
It still gets me that the US is still so reliant on cheques.

crackersa

Honorary Master
The problem is if you search for more links and information about the story, you find at one point he mentions having prayed with his wife about what to do about the check, as such it points out that he has seriously considered keeping the check at one point, which paints a slightly less honest picture in general....
I think anyone would have a thought or two of keeping it, until they realize the ramifications

namzsteve

Expert Member
Not in south africa, we would have been seeing new images of very expensive weaves on social media.

isie

Honorary Master
shows he is human i would also consider keeping it - ultimately he still decided not to (what ever he attributes his decision to).

good on him i guess

quovadis

Expert Member
Older generation
Ummm no - If you open anything other than a savings account at a bank in the US they will hand you some nice temporary cheques (or checks) for your account regardless if you are using them or not and you can then order more via their online banking.