Family shooting/suicides

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
In the 2000s in SA, there was a quite a few (mostly) cops shooting up their families and then killing themselves. I haven't seen any reported in years, so I'm curious to know if this has abated? And if so, your thoughts on why that might be?

Further question: Was there every any conclusion about why these people did what they did? Break under the stress of dealing with SA's exceedingly violent criminals? Anticipation of the net closing in on nefarious activities? Something else?

Milano

Honorary Master
In the 2000s in SA, there was a quite a few (mostly) cops shooting up their families and then killing themselves. I haven't seen any reported in years, so I'm curious to know if this has abated? And if so, your thoughts on why that might be?

Further question: Was there every any conclusion about why these people did what they did? Break under the stress of dealing with SA's exceedingly violent criminals? Anticipation of the net closing in on nefarious activities? Something else?
I still read many articles in which police officers murder spouse/partner. It seems there may have been a decline in the entire family with kids thing possibly..? The suicide option is still high among police.

Yes I would say the stress of the job in an extremely violent culture of crime would be the primary cause.

Edit: with the family incl. kids option I think that may have been stronger in a culture now less represented in the SA police which was more likely to place emphasis on a strong dominant male provider who would be more likely to kill his children as a 'way to protect them' in his absence - in a perverse psychological culturally enforced manner of thinking.

The Voice

Executive Member
Was in the news surprisingly often in the 90's, too: usually a middle-aged Afrikaans policeman killing his entire family before killing himself. And quite right - it suddenly seemed to stop for some reason.

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
Yeah I wanted to say 90s, but I wasn't sure if I remember right.

Was in the news surprisingly often in the 90's, too: usually a middle-aged Afrikaans policeman killing his entire family before killing himself. And quite right - it suddenly seemed to stop for some reason.
See that is what bugs me. It may be that there aren't many middle-aged Afrikaans policemen left in the police force. But presumably there's a common psychological factor in that demographic. And whether they're still in the force or not, access to guns isn't exactly hard, so I would expect to see the same thing continue.

It's also a pretty rare phenomenon globally, even in countries where guns are readily (or at least easily, if not legally) available. It just seems that certain pockets of the world has this streak, and I think curbing mass shootings isn't going to happen unless we understand why.

gamer16

Honorary Master
And I think curbing mass shootings isn't going to happen unless we understand why.
^This

Also, didn't know there was a word for it, familicide.

Wiki Article is well worth a read, especially the notable cases, most of which are from the States with 1 from us being the Van Breda murders.

Rates of individual homicide involving family members, not grouped by incidents of familicide, in the United States between 1980 and 2010:

1573251071180.png

The source was compiled by Bureau of Justice Statistics, the most comprehensive data from any government I've ever seen all laid out in a number of spreadsheets here, our Guavament can't even count let alone provide us with such detail.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
No middle aged Afrikaans policemen left

Nanfeishen

Executive Member

Combination of so many reasons, the 2000's were a time of huge upheavel within the police service.
There was reallocation of police housing, pensions changed, positions were made defunct, many were given short notice, many were simply forced out.
Then add often heavy alcohol abuse, morgages, debt, high divorce stats, rising cost of living, the shock of sudden unemployment, dismissal or retrenchment from a service that you have given and dedicated your life to and it becomes a recipe for disaster.
Its the path of loss from one thing to the next, a downward spiral of depression, right up until the sad conclusion.

krycor

Honorary Master
Combination of so many reasons, the 2000's were a time of huge upheavel within the police service.
There was reallocation of police housing, pensions changed, positions were made defunct, many were given short notice, many were simply forced out.
Then add often heavy alcohol abuse, morgages, debt, high divorce stats, rising cost of living, the shock of sudden unemployment, dismissal or retrenchment from a service that you have given and dedicated your life to and it becomes a recipe for disaster.
Its the path of loss from one thing to the next, a downward spiral of depression, right up until the sad conclusion.
Thing is I always consider this a WC thing when I see it in the news. I dunno maybe police in WC aren’t treated as well or alcoholism culture which is prevalent there is a contributing factor?

I doubt this is a “white” issue though as from 2000s on it seems like non-white populous there have similar issues.

Still happens a lot, just not newsworthy these days
The other thing is the adult spouse or teen-adult kids survive more than in the past.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
The police have run out of/lost/sold or their guns....make is more difficult to kill themselves.