Famous Brands closes 96 stores in South Africa – including Wimpy restaurants

phaktza

Executive Member
I would like to know how many of each brand. Pizza is a rough market with Pizza Hut and Domino's.... Er... Dominating. Keg numbers have dwindled to three.

Seems being bought by Famous Brands is a death sentence.

Milano

Honorary Master
Wimpy requires an entire overhaul from the crap they serve to the crap you occupy while being served. Their most recent attempt a few years ago to refurbish stores only succeeded in further downgrading stores to even cheaper lower quality fittings in some weird attempt to more closely match their already low quality 'food' standards.

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
These places have lost their way.
Bad service seems to be the order of the day.
People are voting with their wallets these days.
Also when you go and eat there are 10 waiters whose aim in life is to have a conversation with each other and service seems to be ignored.
Self inflicted.

maumau

Honorary Master
Nothing like a wimpy when you driving between towns in S.A. and you stop for a snack.

Always have that greasy breakfast. Yum, yum.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Nothing like a wimpy when you driving between towns in S.A. and you stop for a snack.

Always have that greasy breakfast. Yum, yum.
Sadly, I have to agree. Wimpy in Harrismith sees me every holiday for brekkie.

McSack

Executive Member
I would like to know how many of each brand. Pizza is a rough market with Pizza Hut and Domino's.... Er... Dominating. Keg numbers have dwindled to three.

Seems being bought by Famous Brands is a death sentence.
By brand figures would be interesting. As would how many of those closed stores no longer served bacon

Genisys

Executive Member
By brand figures would be interesting. As would how many of those closed stores no longer served bacon
That is pointless, not everyone eats bacon, just because one person eats bacon doesn't mean everyone else will boycott a store just because they don't sell bacon anymore.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
That is pointless, not everyone eats bacon, just because one person eats bacon doesn't mean everyone else will boycott a store just because they don't sell bacon anymore.
Depends on location , - Vredendal, Upington,Springbok, etc, places like that, not having bacon or pork sausages on your breakfast menu will kill your business.
Its fine for the inner city, but dont bring those new fangled concepts into the countryside. :(

phaktza

Executive Member
Yup, just like one vote doesn't make a difference, right?

BTTB

I really hate the franchise concept when it comes to food as it leaves the private entrepreneurial spirit of good food made by proper chefs which is the concept we should be supporting. Everything is the same with the franchise concept, here and there you will find a good franchise and if you look into that specific outlet it will have a caring owner/franchisee who is making an effort to please his customers.

We bought some Chinese takeaways last night from a private owner restaurant, one we thought we knew well, a place that used to get sterling reviews 18 years ago and was built on great tasting food. Last night's food was pathetic, like the Chef was on holiday and someone was left to chop up the pieces of chicken and vegetables into uneven chunks and the sauce wasn't applied properly. It was disgusting and my tummy this morning told me so too.
We won't be buying there again.

In the case of Famous Brands we do like individual Steers because they make great chips and the owner-type franchisor works if he keeps his eyes on the business. I don't live in Melkbos but if you ever go to that outlet you will see what I mean.
Our local Steers outlet cannot offer you a Burger that is warm and we gave them the opportunity 3 times over a year or so and each time the patties were cold. Cold patty, hot chips. You can actually see the man cooking the patties over the grill when you collect your food but he places them in to a warmer and then its a case of the last out the fire first in-between the bun and it just doesn't work. You can clearly see their mistakes but they cannot and I blame the owner/franchise for novice mistakes like that. You get a luke warm patty that doesn't melt all the other ingredients.
We make our own hamburgers nowadays. My wife makes the patties and we have fun putting it all together and it tastes marvellous.

My wife had these few comments and she is a Chef by trade:
+Mass produced sauces
+MSG, toxic ingredients
+Promotes plastic in our environment with all the packaging
+Ever since BEE, no pride, no passion, no interest
+Improve service
+Better hygiene
+Processed foods etc

Be that as it may, my wife loves to cook, but also enjoys to be treated now and then at a good restaurant. We have a few that we go to that consistently make great food.

BTTB

To sum up a franchise that I know that spanned my lifetime and what has gone wrong when the corporates take over an eating venue.

The Spur. I grew up two roads away from the Golden Spur in Newlands, the very first Spur in South Africa.
What they served then to what they serve now are worlds apart, fact.

While you cannot expect the original owner to still be around at the Spur, my conclusion is that the franchise concept killed that business.
We still patronised the Spur in the 90s when our children were small, the particular spur in question was managed by the owner, he used to cut his own meat and would come up to us and explain what was good on the menu when we visited which was sometimes every week.
Today, I wouldn't go in to the Spur and if you did you may be burping the taste days later.

Spur isn't Famous Brands but just another franchise though.