Fastest mobile broadband speeds recorded in MyBroadband's Android speed test app

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Blistering fast mobile broadband speeds in South Africa recorded

The latest data recorded through MyBroadband’s speed test app revealed that Vodacom and MTN produced speeds over 700Mbps on their mobile networks.

The peak speed recorded on Vodacom’s network was 732Mbps using a Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G in Noordwyk, Midrand — next to the Vodacom Offices.

Budza

Executive Member
Sorry- BS claim there :p

Last edited:

Sapphiron

Expert Member
Once you get over the 50mbit range, you hit diminishing returns on page load times.

Latency, on the other hand, is far more critical. A 20Mit connection with 2ms latency will likely outperform a 500mbit connection at 15ms latency on page load times.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
It's been a while- wasn't 3G data more expensive than 2G? And initial 4G more expensive than 3G due to speed premium?

For the first time, 5G data is cheaper than the preceding tech. Article idea @Jan

With the offloading of some traffic to the laarnies with 5G, does that mean my 4G experience should improve? Or is the increase in data consumption across the board such that any 5G offloading is offset by increased 4G usage?
Sorry where is 5G cheaper?

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
"All the top speed test results came from Vodacom and MTN. It should not come as a surprise."

Exactly, now stop complaining about spectrum and how unfair it is the Telkom has "more".

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
It's been a while- wasn't 3G data more expensive than 2G? And initial 4G more expensive than 3G due to speed premium?

For the first time, 5G data is cheaper than the preceding tech. Article idea @Jan

With the offloading of some traffic to the laarnies with 5G, does that mean my 4G experience should improve? Or is the increase in data consumption across the board such that any 5G offloading is offset by increased 4G usage?
I can't recall any network that charged different data rates for different bearers. Definitely Vodacom never did.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
I was looking at some old speedtest data just now. 10 years ago, HSPA+ just launched and peak speeds were about 30Mbps. National average on mobile was about 5Mbps.

Average speeds now are around 40Mbps and peak speeds are over 700Mbps. All with the same spectrum. Think what can be done with new spectrum.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
I can't recall any network that charged different data rates for different bearers. Definitely Vodacom never did.
IIRC MTN had a flat LTE connection fee. But that quickly went away after people moaned about it.

cavedog

Honorary Master
How to kill your cap:
Do a Speedtest.

A 1GB data bundle for example not enough to do a speedtest on Vodacom 5G.

A 1GB bundle valid for 1 hour will cost you R12. Imagine that on Vodacom R12 isn't enough money to do a speedtest on 5G.

Speeds have increased significantly but data prices has not reduced nearly as quickly as speeds have gone up.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
IIRC MTN had a flat LTE connection fee. But that quickly went away after people moaned about it.
Yup, there were 1 or 2 attempts to charge a bearer based fee (Vodacom also had the Basic/Advanced speed differentiation thing on 3G) but they all went away very quickly.

Reactions: Jan