Fastest WordPress Hosting in South Africa

syinner

One thing to remember is the PHP version offered and SSD. There is a substantial speed difference between 5.6 and 7. Some hosting companies like Hetzner don't offer it, Albury their Germany operation does.

neo_

One thing to remember is the PHP version offered and SSD. There is a substantial speed difference between 5.6 and 7. Some hosting companies like Hetzner don't offer it, Albury their Germany operation does.

Does Hetzner really not offer 7.0? That's really bad as we're on 7.1 already. To add to this, active support for 7.0 ends in six months.

neo_

Yeah they don't. I asked when and they said next year.

So in other words they'll upgrade after it loses support...?! Now I know for sure that I'll never use them, no matter how good their infrastructure is.

_neo, what hosting co are you using?

I use Elitehost and Domains.co.za. Used to be an avid fan of Afrihost until I wasn't.

That's sad. PHP 7 is life.

+10^10

Idiosyncratic

Expert Member
Have never liked how clunky and non-OOP it is. As a developer, I'd never recommend it to anyone.

...I'm sure that's gonna cause a stir among many forumites once they wake up from their afternoon nap.

What would you recommend?

neo_

...I'm sure that's gonna cause a stir among many forumites once they wake up from their afternoon nap.

What would you recommend?

Hehe, I can imagine so. In no particular order: PyroCMS, ProcessWire (very flexible and secure), Craft (also has a commerce sister project), Neos, Grav/Kirby (for flat-file sites), October, and Bolt. I've worked with older version of Pyro in the past, and not up to speed with the newer Laravel-based version, mostly because my preference leans toward ProcessWire, October, and Bolt, in that order. The same thing applies to Neos - whilst it's a good system, it tends to be less average-user-friendly in comparison to other systems. October could be classed the same.

chopsky

Expert Member
Hehe, I can imagine so. In no particular order: PyroCMS, ProcessWire (very flexible and secure), Craft (also has a commerce sister project), Neos, Grav/Kirby (for flat-file sites), October, and Bolt. I've worked with older version of Pyro in the past, and not up to speed with the newer Laravel-based version, mostly because my preference leans toward ProcessWire, October, and Bolt, in that order. The same thing applies to Neos - whilst it's a good system, it tends to be less average-user-friendly in comparison to other systems. October could be classed the same.

Whatever benefits those systems offer over Wordpress, and I'm sure there's many, unfortunately none of them offer the same level of support or multitude of add-ons/plugins as Wordpress does, thanks to the massive Wordpress community. I think it would be a mistake to suggest that the average user shouldn't make use of it. With all of its issues (and I know there's a ton), it's still one of the best options for most users, especially in terms of ease-of-use and support.

Thor

Honorary Master
@Thor187. How is Domains support after hours & weekends?
They fixed my mishaps at 3am on a Sunday morning more than once.

I made a payment on a staturday for the wrong account, one email and it's sorted.

I had trouble with afrihost's aging VPSes and guess what... Domains helps me fix it on a Friday night.

I honestly cannot praise them enough.

Stormer12

They fixed my mishaps at 3am on a Sunday morning more than once.

I made a payment on a staturday for the wrong account, one email and it's sorted.

I had trouble with afrihost's aging VPSes and guess what... Domains helps me fix it on a Friday night.

I honestly cannot praise them enough.
thats awesome.

Why did you leave Elitehost in the first place?