Fastest WordPress Hosting in South Africa

Trompie67

Expert Member
They fixed my mishaps at 3am on a Sunday morning more than once.

I made a payment on a staturday for the wrong account, one email and it's sorted.

I had trouble with afrihost's aging VPSes and guess what... Domains helps me fix it on a Friday night.

I honestly cannot praise them enough.

So after all the praise you have heaped upon Domains.co.za in this thread I thought I'd look them up.

Sent them a sales query via their support system ticket rubbish on their website.

That was before 10h00 this morning.

5+ hours later I still haven't even had a receipt of the ticket sent to my email address. Let alone any response from them.

Great way to start off? Not.

chopsky

Expert Member
So after all the praise you have heaped upon Domains.co.za in this thread I thought I'd look them up.

Sent them a sales query via their support system ticket rubbish on their website.

5+ hours later I still haven't even had a receipt of the ticket sent to my email address. Let alone any response from them.

You 100% sure it went through?

Thor

Honorary Master

Did you press send?

<I'm just fcking with you>

What is Wayne's handle again on mybb I'm sure he'll help you straight away.

Domains.co.za (Wayne)

Domains.co.za representative
Company Rep
Did you press send?

<I'm just fcking with you>

What is Wayne's handle again on mybb I'm sure he'll help you straight away.

Thanks, already reached out to Trompie67 and one of our sales team has already responded. It was strange that Trompie67 never received a ticket number on submitting a ticket. (This may be why we had no ticket in our system.)

Wayne

Trompie67

Expert Member

Wayne got hold of me via PM, Garreth from sales has been in touch, answered all my questions & we'll be moving across to them. ;)

Xman

Can we revive this thread? What is the situation 2 years later? I am gatvol of Afrihost and Hostking. Thought Hostking is going to be great, but just as I have my site ready, the tank in TTFB and DNS lookup.

Murmaider

Can we revive this thread? What is the situation 2 years later? I am gatvol of Afrihost and Hostking. Thought Hostking is going to be great, but just as I have my site ready, the tank in TTFB and DNS lookup.

Regarding your TTFB, are you running WooCommerce by any chance?

Regards,
Dave @ Domains.co.za

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
No, a straight forward one pager WP site build with Elementor and Astra.

Those are some heavy themes...

Also use gtmetrix and kingdom to find out whats making your website slow.

Be sure to note that these tests are done overseas so do account for the distance.

Xman

Those are some heavy themes...

Also, use gtmetrix and kingdom to find out what's making your website slow.

Be sure to note that these tests are done overseas so do account for the distance.

Nope, the theme is good. Running virtual similar page on Afri and sort of ok. Chrome inspect report 3.62s load time.

Yes, for that reason I am not using GTMetrix.

The same type of site on Hostking loads in like 2min. Must say, after my complaining, it now loads at 3.36s. But for how long?

GTmetrix does not even complete the task. Says it is taking more than 2 min. (ah, now all of a sudden GTMetrix is giving 10s)

The point is, why must one scream your head off? And for how long will the results last?

I also discovered that Hostking has removed 5 plugins that I spend hours on. And my backup is gone!

Hope they are going to put it back as it were with my settings.
backup guard gold
SEO press lite
SEO press pro
imagify
swift performance

I could give the two domains here for comparison, but I am scared it is against the rules.

BTW, for those that think Cloudflare is the best thing since coke. If your users are local here in SA, you are actually serving them slower.

Xman

Oh, my word. This is why it will pay to use a WP dedicated host, with people that know what they are doing. I just discovered that about two days work and tweaking, alterations and additions to content is also gone. Looks like they have reset the site to a previous state. And to make it worse, I make regular backups, but even that is gone!

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
I'm hosting my WordPress site on Hetzner, and happy ... 24/7 support by e-mail (I've actually gotten responses at 23:00 before from them), never a hiccup in the hosting, and seems they're continually doing full site backups in the background on their side (in addition to the backups I'm running for myself). Can't ask for more :)

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I'm hosting my WordPress site on Hetzner, and happy ... 24/7 support by e-mail (I've actually gotten responses at 23:00 before from them), never a hiccup in the hosting, and seems they're continually doing full site backups in the background on their side (in addition to the backups I'm running for myself). Can't ask for more :)
Hetzner is still iffy, if you can get them to put you on PHP 7 by default I'd be a lot happier.

Recently contemplating moving a lot of stuff over to datakeepers.co.za as cheaper and with the VPS solution I can manage the dependencies myself rather than relying on the reseller/shared hosting thing. Pricing over the self managed stuff on Hetzner isn't worth for us. Helps that DK seem to be CT based where most of our clients are so it did actually improve page loads a little.

Xman

Well, still waiting for my hosting company to sort out their mess. They are not even responding yet. So I cannot work and did a quick exercise on hosting companies.

I took their home pages and checked their 'Time To First Byte' figures. Very interesting results. What do you guys think? Can one place any weight on that? My reasoning is, yes, they will put their own page on their fastest servers and you will probably not get that, but it is an indication of their capabilities.

Here are the results.
Code:
    Host               TTFB in ms
1    mihost.co.za/            44.99
2    hostking.co.za           70.01
3    amplehosting.co.za   101.90
4    afrihost.com              197.88
5    smartweb.co.za          211.99
6    elitehost.co.za            232.47
7    domains.co.za            275.10
8    hetzner.co.za             280.04
9    cybersmart.co.za       417.78
10    host4africa.com       422.97
11    virtual.ramkat.info    424.02
12    axxess.co.za              753.40
13    openhost.co.za         797.07
14    frikkadel.co.za          839.05
15    mshini.com              856.59
16    1-grid.com              875.65
17    bluesteam.net       1940.00
18    za.godaddy.com    8640.00

I am very impressed with mihost. Can I get some feedback on them? I looked at what they offer and it sounds too good to be true?

I have to mention. I am not surprised with Hostking being up there. I believe they have what it takes, but at the moment they have 'expertize' problems in support. So I will cut them a bit of slack, but they will have to catch a wakeup.

PS. Johnatan56, I just checked out datakeepers.co.za and they are on par with mihost!

Last edited:

Murmaider

TTFB is misleading, as it doesn't fairly display what is actually happening in the background, regardless of the providers server speeds, I really wouldn't judge the hosting speed of a provider based on the TTFB of the providers website.

For example:
- DNS lookup times can affect initial TTFB

- A standalone page without database connections will always have a faster TTFB as there is no database overhead needed in order to render the page, for example (https://www.domains.co.za/mybb.html has a 2.6ms TTFB) Any website that has static content (like html) will always have the lowest TTFB.

I can't use mihost.co.za as an example here, as at the time of writing this, their cart (whmcs) wasn't working as expected (I assume they doing an upgrade), so I will use hostking's website as an example as they are 2nd on the list. The hostking website appears to use html for the website pages which gives amazing TTFB, however once you go into the cart by selecting a product, you move onto a PHP application which is doing database calls, the TTFB goes up to around 350ms - 400ms. This is expected and shows the difference between html and dynamic content, the webserver itself hasn't changed. You will find a similar situation with any other provider mentioned above that is using static on their website, but their cart is php driven. Generally, 200ms - 500ms ttfb for dynamic php driven content is perfectly fine.

- Database vendor, table storage and table indexes have a massive impact on TTFB. For example, using MyISAM vs innodb in mysql/mariadb when it comes to multiple queries or updates to a single table. MyISAM does an entire table lock while Innodb does a per row lock. In the case of MyISAM there could be DB queries waiting for a lock on the table before it can proceed adding to TTFB. Tables indexes also make a huge difference, if a db query hits a table that doesn't have proper indexes, results need to be copied out of the table into a tmp table before data can be worked with, this add overhead. We have seen sites go from 10 second TTFB down to milliseconds just by indexing the tables properly.

- Pages that use compression or mod_deflate will download faster on slower connections, at the expensive of a higher TTFB as the server must compress the data or files before sending.

- Caching pages will have a lower TTFB as it cuts down on the number of requests, however you might have issues if the content on the pages changes frequently or if the cache data is sitting on slow storage.

- PHP versions and PHP opcache can have an impact on TTFB for PHP websites.

- Caching that is not properly configured or cache stampede can have a negative impact on TTFB.

- The type of PHP application and how many includes it has slows down the TTFB. For example, loading a cleanly installed wordpress site vs wordpress with 30 plugins. Everything that is added takes processing time to load and each of these plugins that load have their own processing and overhead.

- We have seen wp-cron have a massive impact on TTFB when it is being loaded on page requests and there has been a problem in the the wp-cron and whatever it is running.

- Security such as wordfence or modsec will protect your site from the "badies" at the expense of a higher TTFB in having to do security checks first before it can allow the webserver to start processing the page.
(for example, our website domains.co.za, sites behind Fortigates doing SSL inspection, DPI for Intrusion Prevention and flow based anti-virus prevention and then there is also modsec2 on the server with a large ruleset.) If I disable all of this the TTFB will improve a great deal, but at what expensive on security?

Here is a good article that will explain it and why TTFB isn't a silver bullet of gauging a servers performance.
https://researchasahobby.com/time-to-first-byte-ttfb-hosting-speed-tests/

Last edited:

Xman

TTFB is misleading, as it doesn't fairly display what is actually happening in the background, regardless of the providers server speeds, I really wouldn't judge the hosting speed of a provider based on the TTFB of the providers website.

Thanks for all that. So, how can one do a more realistic test? Speed and load time is to me now the ultimate. I will be using WP. I need a total load time of less than 2 sec, as that has a major impact on my quality score with Adwords and user experience. 90% of my traffic is on impulse via mobile.

My typical site
https://mascarene.co.za/
https://guesthouseklerksdorp.net/

Murmaider

Thanks for all that. So, how can one do a more realistic test? Speed and load time is to me now the ultimate. I will be using WP. I need a total load time of less than 2 sec, as that has a major impact on my quality score with Adwords and user experience. 90% of my traffic is on impulse via mobile.

My typical site
https://mascarene.co.za/
https://guesthouseklerksdorp.net/

I'll drop you a PM of what I find.